Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine for Christmas dinner

Options
  • 14-12-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Im on wine duty for Christmas dinner :D Need a few bottles of something decent.

Im going to assume full bodied is out of the question for a roast turkey dinner, so im thinking something like a Pinot Noir. Am i correct with this theory?

Want a really nice one, budget about €30 quid a bottle, any recommendations?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I would've thought Pinot Noir too. M&S do a lovely one from New Zealand in that price range. Can't remember the name of it but a has a bunch a rugby players doing the Haka on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I'd keep an ear on Movies and Booze on Newstalk next Fri. Bet they will have a few suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I dont like rugby, so thats out :)

Cheers i'll have a look. Never really think of M&S for wine.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I dont like rugby, so thats out :)

Cheers i'll have a look. Never really think of M&S for wine.

M&S do fantastic wine, especially the pricier stuff, but they have some good value less expensive picks too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pinot Noir would normally be recommended although a really good Rioja does the job for me too.

I'll also be cracking out a Westvleteren 12 with my meal.

• Advertisement

Not a Rioja fan.

glad im on the right track with a PN though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

A nice juicy Cotes Du Rhone is my recommendation and usually much cheaper than a quality pinot noir.

Pinot can be thin at times and a thin wine gets lost with a Christmas dinner. The difficulty with Christmas dinner is the variety of flavours and textures on the plate. If you're going for a pinot, I'd go with Central Otago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Slattsy wrote: »
    Want a really nice one, budget about €30 quid a bottle, any recommendations? Cheers.

Normally I'd agree with the Cotes du Rhone advice if you're on a tighter budget. But in that price bracket, you can afford to treat yourself to a Byron Santa Barbera Pinot Noir from O'Briens at €25 a bottle. A fantastic Pinot Noir, I think it would pair very well with a classic Christmas dinner.

http://www.obrienswine.ie/byron-santa-barbara-pinot-noir.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Some good reviews online on that Byron.

Just out of interest, what would be the different characteristics between a PN from France, New Zealand and America?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

A nice juicy Cotes Du Rhone is my recommendation and usually much cheaper than a quality pinot noir.

I'd go along with that too, except for 30e I would buy 2 bottles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Agree 100%. Pinot Noir is far too light to complement a traditional Irish Christmas dinner. I always suggest a Vacqueyras from Cotes du Rhone - better than most Chateauneuf du Papes out there and even a genuine one should be under €20.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Pinot Noir is far too light to complement a traditional Irish Christmas dinner. I always suggest a Vacqueyras from Cotes du Rhone - better than most Chateauneuf du Papes out there and even a genuine one should be under €20.

I think when most people recommend Pinot Noir for dinner they are thinking in terms of pairing it with the two traditional meats, turkey and ham. The rest of the dinner can be a bit too much for a Pinot Noir, but you could argue that a Cotes du Rhone could be too overpowering. Which brings it all back to age old mantra of serve it with a wine you like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think when most people recommend Pinot Noir for dinner they are thinking in terms of pairing it with the two traditional meats, turkey and ham. The rest of the dinner can be a bit too much for a Pinot Noir, but you could argue that a Cotes du Rhone could be too overpowering. Which brings it all back to age old mantra of serve it with a wine you like. :)

Absolutely, "food pairing" is utterly over-rated. Yes some foods go well with some wines but really your favourite wine with your favourite food in your favourite company is a good night in. If asked I will always suggest a Vacqueyras (and that's what we'll have in Chez Slap) but any decent red will do the job... or a decent bodied white if that's your thing.

Advertisement