Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC Secure Public Bike Hangar beta test

Options
  • 29-01-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0129/676456-bike-hangars/

000a16c7-642.jpg

Dublin City council are looking for public views on these presumably with a view to rolling them out.

Each hanger supports 6 bikes. In theory it should provide a bit more peace of mind rather than having your bike locked to some lamp post. Motorists will probably be up in arms as it will be taking up parking spaces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

A loss of a perfectly good parking Spot :D:D:D:D:D

jeeze between this and people who insist on taking up two parking spots I am.............

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

If they provided secure parking locations in the already many multi-story car parks it might be alot more beneficial, then putting these things up, that is better suited to school or collage campus facitilies, like how hard would a cage in a multi story car park with access monitored etc

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

NBar wrote: »
    If they provided secure parking locations in the already many multi-story car parks it might be alot more beneficial, then putting these things up, that is better suited to school or collage campus facitilies, like how hard would a cage in a multi story car park with access monitored etc

IIRC, the plan was to located these in residential areas where people may not have had access to sheds/yards. I pass one near the CBS Francis St on my commute, where there's a lot of terraced houses without front yards and people used to leave them locked to lampposts, trees, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

How are they to be locked and how secure are they really? If someone has the ability to cut off a decent U lock is this going to be much of a barrier? If someone is willing to break in to a bunch of garden sheds of an evening are they really going to be put off opening one of these just because it will presumably be in front of the houses instead of behind them?

It also appears that it might be harder to access them. If someone jams their bike in and snags my derailleur am I going to be able to reach in to unsnag things or am I going to have to yank it out and hope the damage is not too bad.

Will it be almost impossible to leave it open? I ask because in a previous job the bike cage was left open about 50% of the time because people taking their bikes just shoved the door behind them and didn't really give a damn if it actually locked or not.

Perhaps these will be good but I'm dubious at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

NBar wrote: »

These are more for people living in the city who have no storage. So they are based on the road. A multi storey isn't if us to someone who doesn't live near one

I see that 90% of submissions support it, what kind of fool would go to the effort of not supporting it? Do they lodge objections to car parking there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is there any more detailed info on them? It's not very clear how you access them and how you lock your bike in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Their own proposal had loads of photos of people locking their bikes to lampposts, railings etc., so it seems the easier problem to solve is just provide any proper bike parking. At the very least, if they put one of these in, it should be accompanied by a few Sheffield racks. I'd be annoyed if I cycled somewhere and there were private bike spaces the council had put in but still nowhere for me. Hangars are a fine idea when the more basic problem has been fixed.
    Is there any more detailed info on them? It's not very clear how you access them and how you lock your bike in it?

You rent them for the year. So six people get the use of it, I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

How long before someone driving a fork lift truck steals six bicycles? :)
    Also handy if you want to save on creche fees. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ted1 wrote: »
    I see that 90% of submissions support it, what kind of fool would go to the effort of not supporting it?
    This kind of fool: http://irishcycle.com/2015/02/02/irish-motoring-spokesman-questions-if-bike-hangers-are-an-excuse-to-sabotage-car-use/

Advertisement