Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This morning's commute started off well........then went from pleasant to Biblical in about 5 minutes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^ It's snowing up that way now apparently. If you want a lift..... :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sun is shining in the city centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Jawgap wrote: »
    This morning's commute started off well........then went from pleasant to Biblical in about 5 minutes.......

Ah but if I am reading your bearing/heading correctly you had the wind behind you??

Still looks horrible though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Skin is waterproof, unless its cold I won't overdress on a rainy cycle.. Oh this morning, no I'm off work with a sciatic nerve problem so I can pick my good weather slots :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Ah but if I am reading your bearing/heading correctly you had the wind behind you??

Still looks horrible though..

I did - the hail was coming from behind - thankfully! All down the road from Julianstown the wind was mostly behind and I thought it was such a pleasant morning for a spin - then God hit the switch on his blender!

As I came over the hill and down into Balbriggan the wind changed to be more of a cross wind and I seriously thought about stopping and asking to put my bike in the luggage compartment of the bus and getting it into Dublin!

I think Balbriggan occupies some kind of 'weather fault line' - it often happens that the weather on one side of the town is completely different to that on the other.

Skin is waterproof, unless its cold I won't overdress on a rainy cycle.. Oh this morning, no I'm off work with a sciatic nerve problem so I can pick my good weather slots :)

TL:DR excuses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Jawgap wrote: »
    I did - the hail was coming from behind - thankfully! All down the road from Julianstown the wind was mostly behind and I thought it was such a pleasant morning for a spin - then God hit the switch on his blender!

As I came over the hill and down into Balbriggan the wind changed to be more of a cross wind and I seriously thought about stopping and asking to put my bike in the luggage compartment of the bus and getting it into Dublin!

I think Balbriggan occupies some kind of 'weather fault line' - it often happens that the weather on one side of the town is completely different to that on the other.

I think that as you head into Balbriggan from the north you are traveling roughly south east but then after Balbriggan you are travelling south west for a while so a 90 degree shift which is adequate to turn a slight tail wind into a crosswind/headwind!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As soon as you hit Balrothery the elements will conspire to make you miserable in whichever direction you are travelling and whatever the weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Me cycling home in my mind :
    snow-cycling-248x300.jpg
    Closer to reality :
    CyclingRainJME_468x294.jpg

• Advertisement

Lost the feeling in my feet today, new overshoes are 8n order, me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Cycle home tonight was fine until just after Hueston then got caught in a deluge of snow. Forgot my glasses so was continually getting hit in the eyes with snow making it near impossible to see.
    Had to change my brake blocks two days ago and I threw in an unused pair of Shimano blocks to replace my worn Swisstop Greens. The Shimano blocks had zero stopping power. I had to crawl at snails pace because if I was going at anything over 20km/he the stopping distance was several meters too much.

Very pleased with grip of 23mm Conti GP4000s in thick snow and slush.
    Anybody know where I can get Swisstop in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ROK ON wrote: »

Yeah cyclesuperstore have them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Swimcyclerun too. You'd have it same day if you order before 12

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Forgot my glasses so was continually getting hit in the eyes with snow making it near impossible to see....
    Easier to see without glasses despite getting hit with stinging snow. I had to remove mine during the club ride this morning as the snow kept building up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Cycleways also usually have them. Behind the till upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was in two minds about getting kitted out - was fine (ish) in Dublin City centre when I left work

But Santa has brought me Berghaus goretex leggings and a pair of gore bike wear goretex overshoes so said feck It and got kitted out

Snowed heavy in the phoenix park - it was a choice between no glasses and getting stung in the eyes or glasses on and fogging up. Some clown decided to go for an evening snow walk in the cycle lane as well - nearly hit him at the embassy

All in all tough commute but was toasty and dry head to toe

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

67 k yesterday left midmorning in light snow. Breaking in the winter tyres I picked up in bee bikes. Great grip on ncd backroads when I finally found some snow at tge top of nags head.

Only problem with the tyres is the rolling resistance fairly tough spin with the cold and occasional snow shower felt a lot longer than it was.

Will keep the tyres for bad weather commutes likely to have them for the next 20 years but great fun when it snows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Its a perfect morning to reopen this thread for the 2015/16 season!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Yep, a great day to try out the new commuter bike with ortliebs and mudguards :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Post a pic of your winter bike! (must take a pic of my winter bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Parked in Liffey Valley, took the bike off the rack, opened the boot and NO BASTARD WET GEAR!! Cycled in the Chapelizod bypass and by the time I got to heuston I was utterly drowned. Made it in to the site in Windmill Lane barely able to see out the glasses and realised I have no change of clothes and only a light jacket here. So I'll be spending most of the day outside in the poxy rain, wet through already and with f#*k all protection. Then I have to cycle back to the car this evening.
    I'm no wimp, I'm simply an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My bike is no wimp, I mean allweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Lovely spin in over Tibradden this morning, very refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

New mudguards worked perfectly this morning. Glad I didn't lazy out last night. Also the waterproofing spray on the old commuter jacked did wonders. Feet dry, core dry, happy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

lennymc wrote: »
    Post a pic of your winter bike! (must take a pic of my winter bike)

As requested - 2015_09_26_12_07_48.jpg
    upload pic

Giant SCR bought off PlanetX (the person,not the shop). Stuck a rack on it and need to switch the tyres to 25s (not a fan of 23s, especially for commuting).

Oh yeah, and I have to replace those pedals :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bike badly in need of it's winter freshener and the baxtards in an post won't be delivering my package till they sort their crap out. So had to ride a less than perfect commuter in that rain this morning.

Still though I'd probably be more annoyed if I'd given it TLC and and a polish over the weekend and then got pissed on during its first outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Kudos to my six year old for opting to cycle to school this morning. It was that or walk and splash in puddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Note to self: buy gloves, mudguards and some decent shoe covers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Glasses were fogging up pretty nastily. Apart from spitting on the inside, any solutions that will keep them clear for a few days at a time (and preferably not involving spit)?

Advertisement