Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sram wireless gear shifting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If Shimano or Campagnolo made it, I'd seriously lust after it. I don't have the same grá for SRAM at all.

They were way behind the curve on electronic group sets in the first place, I'd worry about teething problems with a wifi system.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It would appear from this article, that F.S.A. will have a wireless system this year as well.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/01/news/fsa-sponsor-two-teams-electronic-drivetrain_358664

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The FSA groupset is coming out of the blue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Brian? wrote: »
    If Shimano or Campagnolo made it, I'd seriously lust after it. I don't have the same grá for SRAM at all.

They were way behind the curve on electronic group sets in the first place, I'd worry about teething problems with a wifi system.

I think they have gone against what they normally do and they have taken their time with this and are aiming to get it 100% right from the get go. It will be interesting to see if they go full bore with this, and add in a Quarq as part of the standard groupset. I think they will get it right, but with Shimano filing patents for a dual sided crank based power meter you'd wonder are they going to be behind the curve again in a year or two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Junior wrote: »
    I think they have gone against what they normally do and they have taken their time with this and are aiming to get it 100% right from the get go. It will be interesting to see if they go full bore with this, and add in a Quarq as part of the standard groupset. I think they will get it right, but with Shimano filing patents for a dual sided crank based power meter you'd wonder are they going to be behind the curve again in a year or two.

I wouldnt be surprised to see an all in one offering wireless groupsets with built in power meters into the cranks and matching headsets. Maybe even integrated stems.

FSA are vertically integrating oneway. Shimano SRAM etc will vertically integrating the otherway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Eamonnator wrote: »
    OK, now I want it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm holding out for wireless braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

There must be a battery for the shifters as well i would have thought, wonder is there something like a CR2032 under each shifter hood.

oconnpad wrote: »
    There must be a battery for the shifters as well i would have thought, wonder is there something like a CR2032 under each shifter hood.

That's what it says in the article. They reckon they could last up to a year.

• Advertisement

That's what it says in the article. They reckon they could last up to a year.

Would help if i read the whole article before commenting :D but i got caught up in the pictures after the reading the first 2 paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Pretty impressive looking-as the article points out, this groupset looks more-or-less ready to go, so probably will be appearing on 2016 bikes at the bike fairs in the summer. Looks like it would be dead easy to install as well-no cables except for the brakes. I've never been a fan of Sram double-tap shifting though, so I wonder will this new system work well enough to at least match the performance of Shimano. Anyone tried their hydraulic brakes-I reckon the Hydro-braking/wireless shifting combo might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Helmet cam battery charged Check
    Garmin edge battery charged. Check
    Cadence sensor battery ok. Check
    Heart rate monitor battery ok Check
    Front shifter battery ok. Check
    Right shifter battery ok. Check
    Front dérailleur battery ok. Check
    Rear dérailleur battery ok. Check

Now just check the ant + stuff is still communicating.

Ahh, it's started raining.

Power down helmet cam
    Power down garmin edge

ashleey wrote: »
    Helmet cam battery charged Check
    Garmin edge battery charged. Check
    Cadence sensor battery ok. Check
    Heart rate monitor battery ok Check
    Front shifter battery ok. Check
    Right shifter battery ok. Check
    Front dérailleur battery ok. Check
    Rear dérailleur battery ok. Check

Now just check the ant + stuff is still communicating.

Ahh, it's started raining.

Power down helmet cam
    Power down garmin edge

Speed sensor battery ok. Check (if you've the new garmin one)
    power meter battery ok. Check
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I would still probably buy it though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I hope SRAM have thought about interference ... what happens when you're in a group? Shifting other people's gears? :pac:

I have on occasion had my edge say 'multiple heart rate monitors found' even though mine was paired correctly before, so there must by some reuse of codes in ant+. seems strange because there must be millions of combinations available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Lemming wrote: »
    I hope SRAM have thought about interference ... what happens when you're in a group? Shifting other people's gears? :pac:

It will be the next big conspiracy... Forget doping,team cars will be loaded with technology trying to hack into other riders groupsets leaving them stuck in a high gear going over the alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

GCN have a first look (and in ride review in another vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmxZOHFnSM

They have changed the set up of the RD shifting, now it's one lever for up and the other for down.

Whatever about the pros and cons of the system, I like the way that Sram think outside the box and are prepared to try new things

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They have changed the set up of the RD shifting, now it's one lever for up and the other for down.

And both levers for the FD up or down.

It was funny watching Simon switching from the little ring to big ring over and over - he seemed overly excited! It did look very smooth though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Leroy42 wrote: »
    GCN have a first look (and in ride review in another vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmxZOHFnSM

Whatever about the pros and cons of the system, I like the way that Sram think outside the box and are prepared to try new things

You can personalise all the buttons on the Shimano system to do what you want too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

You can personalise all the buttons on the Shimano system to do what you want too.

I didn't know that. I keep telling myself to read the manual for my new Di2, despite the fact that they just work out of the gate.

This new SRAM system really looks impressive. Easy to install, and with a minimal amount of fiddling about. The way they have done the batteries is really clever. Everything runs on those little coin-type batteries that you can buy in chemists or supermarkets, so it would be easy to cary an extra one as part of your spares kit. It would also be easy enough to buy one on the road if you ran out of power. And, the front and rear battery modules are interchangeable, so if your rear derailleur dies mid-ride (much more likely than the front giving out), you can just stick the battery for the front in the rear and still have 11 gears to get you home. One thing which would put me off is the brakes: SRAM brakes are better than they used to be but I still reckon Shimano have the best brakes out there, either hydraulic or regular, so the fact that Shimano calipers apparently don;t work as well with SRAM levers is a bit of a shame as this otherwise looks to me to be the perfect way to upgrade to electronic-just buy the shifters, derailleurs and electronic bits and stick them on the bike. I wonder if you could use Shimano mineral oil with SRAM hydraulic levers and Shimano calipers (assuming you bled out all the dot 4 fluid first)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Saw this yesterday. Di2, ESP and soon to be out there Rotor and FSA have all gone electronic and while each has their fans along with pros and cons from a purely techy perspective SRAM are the only one so far that has nailed it! Completely wireless (tt option aside) is the ultimate achievement in gear tech. While the rear d may not look as beautiful or crafted as super record 11 (what does?) it's still a fantastic bit of tech that looks so tidy without any wires or cables sticking out of it. I imagine installation and setup will take a matter of minutes. I can see Shimy and Campy working overtime now to get a full wireless option out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is there any talk of prices yet??

Is there any talk of prices yet??

Think they mention it in the video above, something like €1,200 for the electronic bits (shifters, front & rear derailleurs and electronic bits)

Advertisement