Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum grades

Options
  • 11-08-2015 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all, I have searched the archives but I can't find the answer I'm looking for so I thought I'd start a new thread. I had a once-off drum lesson back in January and loved it. I've been an air drummer all of my life :o I'm very close to buying a kit and going for it as I'm edging towards 30 and think it's time to do a few of the things I'd really love to do in life. My passion is really rock music but I would like to have the option of perhaps teaching drums in the future so I'm wondering would I need to do a particular type of grade for that. I have researched a little and it seems to me that Trinity Guildhall and London College of Music are the more reputable ones to do the grades through. Would that be correct and for those of you in the know which one would you recommend? The nearest school to me only does rock music grades but there's one not too far away that does LCM grades and then one a bit too far away tbh that does Trinity Guildhall. Do you know would going through all the grades with LCM qualify me to teach and be recognised by music schools? Ta, folks. Also, do you think a DXP beginner's kit would be ok to start on? Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

DrJ wrote: »
    Hi all, I have searched the archives but I can't find the answer I'm looking for so I thought I'd start a new thread. I had a once-off drum lesson back in January and loved it. I've been an air drummer all of my life :o I'm very close to buying a kit and going for it as I'm edging towards 30 and think it's time to do a few of the things I'd really love to do in life. My passion is really rock music but I would like to have the option of perhaps teaching drums in the future so I'm wondering would I need to do a particular type of grade for that. I have researched a little and it seems to me that Trinity Guildhall and London College of Music are the more reputable ones to do the grades through. Would that be correct and for those of you in the know which one would you recommend? The nearest school to me only does rock music grades but there's one not too far away that does LCM grades and then one a bit too far away tbh that does Trinity Guildhall. Do you know would going through all the grades with LCM qualify me to teach and be recognised by music schools? Ta, folks. Also, do you think a DXP beginner's kit would be ok to start on? Thank you so much in advance for any advice.
    Just posting here to remind me to give you an answer later. I know a good bit about this subject. I'll have a good response to your queries very soon I promise. If I had seen this post before I would have replied already, better late than never though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

Just posting here to remind me to give you an answer later. I know a good bit about this subject. I'll have a good response to your queries very soon I promise. If I had seen this post before I would have replied already, better late than never though I suppose.
    Sever Tomorrow, thank you very much for the response :-) I didn't think anyone was going to reply! I have heard from various musicians - though not drummers - to look for a second hand drum kit by a more reputable brand or else buy online. If going second hand I may bring one of them with me as I know nothing about sound at present. I'm hoping to flog a fender p bass to cover a bit of the expense but ideally don't want to go over 400 euro til I see whether I really have the aptitude and commitment for it. But it would be great to do the grades if you know which ones are the more reputable for someone who would like the option of perhaps teaching at music schools in the future. Once I'm paying the money for lessons I'd like to get a certificate back from it. Thanks again :)

No problem. Seems like this forum is mostly guitarists and bassists. Hence the lack of replies.

It's great you're taking up drums, never too late.

Firstly the grades. If you look at America, they don't even have a grades system. There are so many top-notch teachers there and they don't use any system designed by an examination board. There's the elite level educators like Tommy Igoe, Joe Morello (RIP) and Gary Chaffee who wrote books/videos and do/did it their way.

I was lucky enough to have a lesson with one of Irelands best drummers and he mentioned that he wasn't really into them. Then again, this guy would have done some studying in the U.S with great teachers and has an impressive list of playing credits.

So, I'm not totally sure they're needed to teach here. I know people who've taught without them but I guess it doesn't hurt to have them as accreditation. Forgive me for my vagueness, I can possibly get you a better answer later.

As for the grades, I myself did Drumsense up to Grade 5 with a teacher. It's a good system designed by a great British drummer and educator. I did a wee bit of the Trinity stuff before I left my first teacher and yes I believe it to be the most reputable examination board, and the hardest exams. I don't know anything about LCM sorry. The main (and original) Trinity drum kit exam, now I'm not going to discourage you, but Trinity is far more than just rock music. It covers a lot of styles. Jazz/Swing, New Orleans, Tango etc, Latin.

These are the positives of following a grade system like Trinity, and I think there is a huge benefit to grades for the following reasons: They teach you the key fundamentals. Can you read music? Trinity will build your reading bit by bit.
    The thing I like about Trinity is that it covers styles that'll make you in to a versatile musician.

I've seen Rockschool and a bit of their syllabus. It looks good. I know a bassist who did all 8 grades. He's a very good player. I've no doubt following that syllabus would make you an excellent drummer! I don't think it's just rock either. I'll get you more info on this.

Again, not trying to discourage you but many teachers at music schools have degrees and even Masters behind them. You might be getting a bit ahead of yourself at the moment, but it's totally possible if you put the work in! If you have a good teacher stick with him/her and the lessons.

My first kit was a budget kit for 300 euro. Everything included. Bass drum and toms were decent. Stands and cymbals were dreadful, snare awful too. Ended up getting frustrated with the gear and replaced snare and cymbals with nicer gear.

I would say avoid budget kits IF you are going to stick with this. All the big drum brands make good kits and you can get a great kit for not too much used. Look at adverts.ie for people selling. The Gretsch Catalinas come with a good reputation, and sound very nice indeed, way better than the price would suggest. The Club Jazz set is very nice. Sonor, make some of the most droolworthy kits out there. Their German made stuff is highly expensive and amazing but you can't go wrong with their cheaper to mid range stuff either. Their hardware and drums are high quality from entry level to mid range and pro level. Yamaha, are a very good brand. Check out a second hand Stage Custom, have a look at Pearl Export too. It's a classic affordable kit for a reason.

Hope all this helps, any questions fire away.

Sever Tomorrow, thank you so much for such an insightful and detailed reply. There's plenty of food for thought in there. I will bring a few people that play in bands along with me when buying as they would have more of an idea about what is a good sound for a drum kit and what isn't. Rock music would be the genre I typically air drum to so the rock music grades sound most appealing but having said that it would be great to be able to play a diverse range of styles. I guess at the end of the day I will have to see what's practical and affordable and what isn't. Travelling a long distance to get lessons for the Trinity grades might not be feasible. However, it's great to have all of this information now from someone who has been there and done that because it is quite difficult to find out about drum grades and what to go for. So thank you *very* much again for this response and taking the time to post such a thoughtful response. I will definitely heed this advice in any decisions I make!

Well, as luck would have it my most local (about 8 miles away) music school has just started offering the Trinity Guildhall grades for drums :-) I'm seriously thinking about doing this now. Sever Tomorrow, if you're still reading this I would love to know if you have any opinions on a Pearl Target kit? I am very reticent about spending too much at the moment just in case I don't go through with this all the way. I bought a cheap little bass years ago and played it for two years before I bought a Fender which I bloody hated and I then stopped playing! I know that'll sound odd. Other things got in the way at the time too. I really don't have much money to splash so can't be spending hundreds on cymbals and the like. A term of lessons will set me back almost 300 too so I really am looking to just get a kit for around €400 and there are Pearl Targets on thomann for €399. I very well might just go the route of buying something cheap for now and then if I really take to it after a year or two spend the cash on a good kit like the ones you've suggested. I think that might be a more feasible plan for me at this point in time so maybe even a cheaper thing like a Mapex Tornado would even do. But thank you so much for all of the advice. It has been very much appreciated and if I don't heed it all right now I promise I will in the future if I stick with the drums! I'm unemployed again now and just haven't got the money. The bass and amp will raise a bit of money and I can do a term on the drums and hopefully be employed again by then. Thank you again. V much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement

DrJ wrote: »
    Well, as luck would have it my most local (about 8 miles away) music school has just started offering the Trinity Guildhall grades for drums :-) I'm seriously thinking about doing this now. Sever Tomorrow, if you're still reading this I would love to know if you have any opinions on a Pearl Target kit? I am very reticent about spending too much at the moment just in case I don't go through with this all the way. I bought a cheap little bass years ago and played it for two years before I bought a Fender which I bloody hated and I then stopped playing! I know that'll sound odd. Other things got in the way at the time too. I really don't have much money to splash so can't be spending hundreds on cymbals and the like. A term of lessons will set me back almost 300 too so I really am looking to just get a kit for around €400 and there are Pearl Targets on thomann for €399. I very well might just go the route of buying something cheap for now and then if I really take to it after a year or two spend the cash on a good kit like the ones you've suggested. I think that might be a more feasible plan for me at this point in time so maybe even a cheaper thing like a Mapex Tornado would even do. But thank you so much for all of the advice. It has been very much appreciated and if I don't heed it all right now I promise I will in the future if I stick with the drums! I'm unemployed again now and just haven't got the money. The bass and amp will raise a bit of money and I can do a term on the drums and hopefully be employed again by then. Thank you again. V much appreciated. :)

Pearl Target is decent, it would be fine for your needs and Pearl are a good company.

I see that it comes with all the extras on Thomann, so that seems a solid buy for your plan. I've never played their cymbals but perhaps might have heard one once. If I recall rightly they're ok, they'd be a good bit better than the ones that came with my first budget kit, which ended up imploding after a while (literally! :)) More solid anyway. But those ones I had were awful.

You can make not very expensive kits sound very good with a bit of tuning nous. A good teacher will show you the basics of tuning.

Funny you mentioned Mapex. I forgot to mention them in my long post above. I play one in a rehearsal room sometimes and they are excellent with a lovely bass drum sound. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them myself. They might be discontinued now but would be above price range of the Tornado, which I haven't heard. They make a lovely range of snares too.

I've heard from other drummers, its worth upgrading cymbals before drums. They'll improve the sound overall more than changing drums as cheap drums can be tuned to sound decent-very good, as mentioned above.

Youtube is great for hearing previews of any drums you can think of, recommended to use a decent pair of headphones.

Best of luck with the buy, don't hesitate to post again here, or send me a PM.

Thank you again, Sever Tomorrow. Your lengthy replies are much appreciated and insightful. You know I actually am starting to hear what crap cymbals sound like and what good ones sound like based on YouTube views. it seems you jjust can't win with cymbals on cheaper kits but you know I don't think that'll matter too much for me starting out. I might go for the Mapex and then eventually upgrade to better cymbals or a better kit at a later date. Defo want to try for the Trinity grades too. Can't wait to get started. I'll post back and let you know what happens if I ever get going :-) thanks again. You really really helped!

There's a lovely looking Gretsch Catalina Maple on adverts for 350 and its not even a basic setup, has several toms, think it might be 6 piece, not sure. You might be interested so I thought I'd notify you. Maybe not what you're looking for but those kits sing beautifully when tuned nicely with good heads. Seller could be including hardware, cant remember. No bother at all for helping, I like helping young drummers. I'll PM you some more tips I've learnt from experience later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I know a friend of mine who worked as a session drummer for a while got back into drumming recently doing a lot of rudiments on a practice pad.

Would you recommend that (although relatively unexciting route) to a degree to a novice, Sever?

Thomas Lang talked about learning rudiments down pat quite young.

Thank you again, Sever Tomorrow. I have also found another good deal online. I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding personal, family and work commitments at the moment unfortunately but hopefully I'll be in a position to take the plunge sooner rather than later. In an ideal world, I'd get my kit and reg for the lessons right now but as we all know this world is v far from ideal. Something always seems to get in the way. But I am determined to do this sooner or later and now I have the info thanks to you so massive thanks :-) All the best.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    I know a friend of mine who worked as a session drummer for a while got back into drumming recently doing a lot of rudiments on a practice pad.

Would you recommend that (although relatively unexciting route) to a degree to a novice, Sever?

Thomas Lang talked about learning rudiments down pat quite young.

I would have learned certain rudiments from my first teacher but I didn't take them seriously until 5 years ago, when I started practicing them a lot more than before just on a pad and learning more as I went along.

I'd definitely recommend a beginner getting into rudiments from the get go. Guys like Lang are such technical beasts partly because they have that strong foundation in rudiments. Rudiments are to drums what scales are to a guitar/piano etc, look at them that way. Even look at great groove players like Steve Jordan (plays with John Mayer), Jeff Porcaro (Toto, did a heap of session work), and Bernard Purdie (Steely Dan, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, the list goes on forever). These guys practiced their rudiments too and are strong technically. I can guarantee they wouldn't sound as good without practicing them. You can be a solid and grooving drummer, get people dancing but you won't have as good a sound as a guy like Steve Gadd or especially Vinnie Colauita, a guy who does a tonne of sessions but has played some of the most technical stuff out there, for example, when he was with Frank Zappa. Joes Garage is really popular with some drummers, haha :)

Some great advice though here from the legendary Dennis Chambers and it's worth noting for young players. Anyone aware of Dennis will know what a great drum soloist he is and how unbelievably fast he can play. But the situations where you need this are few and far between when playing music. He makes a great point about playing music with others and taking care to make it sound as good as possible, rather than constant fills from the drummer (which often helps take away from the music).

Great advice for any musician really, not just the drummer. You know they type of lead guitarist who plays too many fancy licks, and the bassist who solos too often instead of holding the groove. :D

Advertisement