Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

60 cycle hum from Valve amp?

• 15-08-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey I have a Marshall Head and for some reason it has a 60 cycle hum on the clean channel all the time.

There is no hum on the dirty channels, just on the clean.

I have a guitar that coil splits so I have tested it. On the clean channel you can't noticed the 60 cycle hum when I switch the single coils but you can on the dirty channels. My guess is that there's a 60 cycle hum on the clean.

It does also have some buzzes and odd sounds when I start the amp up

Anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Oh also all the tubes are relatively new so shouldn't be a problem with them

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Plug it into a different socket, preferably in a different building if possible. I'm guessing it's a motor on the same power circuit, possibly the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

feylya wrote: »
    Plug it into a different socket, preferably in a different building if possible. I'm guessing it's a motor on the same power circuit, possibly the fridge.

I'm doubting the fridge would be on the same circuit. I use my amp upstairs in my room and the fridge is downstairs in the kitchen.

Also there was a time when my amp didn't have the hum at all, in the same circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had a similar problem with an ENGL many years ago. It turned out to be the bathroom light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It'd be 50hz hum here. :pac:

I'd echo the suggestion of the others, try the amp in different rooms. Is the guitar properly shielded?
    Do you have another guitar to check?

Dord wrote: »
    It'd be 50hz hum here. :pac:

I'd echo the suggestion of the others, try the amp in different rooms. Is the guitar properly shielded?
    Do you have another guitar to check?

The guitar I have is an ESP Horizon so it's definitely correctly shielded. I have checked in the past and I'd be pretty annoyed if it wasn't to be honest.

There is a chance it could be interference from my tv, I'm just going to uplug/switch off everything in my room just to be sure. If not I'll try it in another room.

Could it be my cable causing the problem? I know I'm probably in need of replacing them anyway.

• Advertisement

After trying out a new pedal that I've acquired through a small practice amp I have, I may have stumbled upon the problem.

The sound kept cutting out and as I suspected it was a dodgy cable. I needed a new one anyway so it's not a big deal. I'm hoping that is what was causing my buzz/hum through my Marshall.

Advertisement