Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's oldest animal killed by scientists

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You stole my joke, death to you!:P

RobbingBandit, complaining about theft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

Sounds like something ten year olds would do in the summer, twits.

Now what metaphor we gonna use to signify happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hear he told them nothing. He clammed up.
    Hero Ming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

We really need to CLAMp down on this sort of thing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bad day for Ming, but let's face it the chances that they found the oldest one are very slim, so there are likely loads of Mings out there and some may be a lot older. There's a type of jellyfish that is essentially immortal. When it gets very old or in times of stress, it flicks a few genes and grows younger, back into a juvenile and starts all over again. There are whales out there that are a couple of centuries old. They found one with an early 19th century hunting harpoon stuck in him and he was still plodding along. There are small box turtles in the US that may be centuries old. I strongly suspect in a century's time we'll have figured out a lot of this stuff and will be able to live a lot longer. If we keep on track for the next five hundred years time I can see the day when it will be possible to be as immortal as is desired. After all at it's basics it's an engineering problem. There's no real barrier to why you couldn't remain "25" for centuries.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Clam yourself down. It wasn't that bad. Just shell out a few squid for a decent book on puns.

FYP

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

THANKS OBAMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Damn, we could have swapped it for Luke Flanagan and seen if the clam might be more useful as a TD...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

of course it would be more useful than politicians . did you ever see the tongues on those yokes

Advertisement