Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky phone connection - when does it call ?

Options
  • 08-06-2005 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Have just reviewed a recent phone bill and notice that the two boxes we have (Sky+ and a mirror sub) callback several times a month but with no logic to the call schedule.

Personally I'd prefer if the calls were made after 6:00pm and before 8:00am so I can take advantage of free 01 calls via UTV. As it is the boxes seem to call at any time.

Has anyone here made any enquiries with Sky on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I thought that the calls from the Sky box back to Sky were free. What were they on your UTV bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

actually I have Sky+ and a mirror sub using UTV too and got a letter this week saying the boxes need to be connected..

..except, they are! (and always have been).
    Does being ex-directory (and thus number witheld make a difference to the box - Sky had me add some prefix to the dialing setup when it was installed in October, but don't ask me what tho cause I'm at work right now :))

I havent had a chance to call em yet, but is there anything worth checking first?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

I'd be very upset to learn that call backs were to anything other than a freephone number! That said I've never checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

The callbacks ARE free - either someone is using a lot of interactive services in your house, or someones making calls to numbers you don't recognise! :p

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Kaiser, you were probably asked to enter the 3 digit number prefix, that unblocks your number. Sky require the Caller ID so they can identify that the boxes are both connected to same line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

It's odd. The numbers are 01 numbers and there are no interactive services being used. the calls are *very* short. Will have to investigate further. There are no freephone numbers being called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mine calls on the 20th of each month at around 1045 am. Both boxes are usually 10 mins apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I dont have either of mine plugged in and recieved a letter from them yesterday. Should I have them in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Arabel wrote:
    I dont have either of mine plugged in and recieved a letter from them yesterday. Should I have them in?

Aye - if you don't plug BOTH in, they are perfectly entitled to charge you for each box as if it were a seperate subscription (eg. instead of €28.50 for Family Pack and €15 multiroom, its €28.50 + €28.50)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

shabbyroad wrote:
    It's odd. The numbers are 01 numbers and there are no interactive services being used. the calls are *very* short. Will have to investigate further. There are no freephone numbers being called.

free phone don't show on your bill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

It calls 1818 .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

intersplat wrote:
    It calls 1818 .....
    It calls 1800 924797 I checked my UTV phone bill which lists all calls!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, Bond may be right, coz ringing that number gives you the dialup squeels and screeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i always wondered what the sky callback number was.

I seen in my mates digibox 142 in the dialing prefix, i just found out that the number activates caller id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Dunno why they would need to activate caller ID. When you call a 1800 number they get your number even if you're ex-directory because they're paying for the call.

Advertisement