Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deal on new S max

• 27-03-2012 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Have a 2008 Ford S max Titanium auto with 105000km on it,bought new from dealer.
    They have offered me 20k for it to change to 2012 model i.e. 22k to change(list+delivery+metallic= just over 42k)
    I had been thinking of selling privately and buying in UK but do not think car really worth any more than 16k on private market and there is the hassle of selling etc.
    The dealer says that he has no room for negotition on the price of extras beyond 5% as no margin. Can anybody in the trade tell me if this is agood deal and if he is correct re. the extras?
    Thanks any info appreciated.
    BTW if going ahead he says need to order before end of week to ensure delivery end of May or June.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What's the best available cash (ie no trade-in) discount on the new car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

dealer says 2500 discount for cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Would be worth the effort of selling privately for that discount IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

gollywog wrote: »
    Would be worth the effort of selling privately for that discount IMO
    The OP reckons it's worth €16k, plus the €2500 discount is €18.5k. The garage are offering €20k.

@OP on the face of it this sounds like a good deal, but it all hinges on how much you could get for your own car privately. The garage are actually offering you €17500 for your old car, ie €20,000 less the €2500 discount you'd get for not trading in. If you can beat that then sell privately, if not then trade the car in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Woooow, for 22k you can bu a second car and keep your car!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Anan1 wrote: »
    The OP reckons it's worth €16k, plus the €2500 discount is €18.5k. The garage are offering €20k.

@OP on the face of it this sounds like a good deal, but it all hinges on how much you could get for your own car privately. The garage are actually offering you €17500 for your old car, ie €20,000 less the €2500 discount you'd get for not trading in. If you can beat that then sell privately, if not then trade the car in.

I completely misread that sorry... too early to be posting obviously! ;)

looking at the prices being asked on the internet I relistically do not see it achieving more than 16k plus I have to prep it for sale and possibly have the hassle of being carless waiting for new one.
    The dealer says they are starved of good irish second hand cars to sell hence his trade in price offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Woooow, for 22k you can bu a second car and keep your car!!!!
    ^^ Not particularly helpful, OP wants a new S-Max, why post the above?

A UK car might be harder to resell when the time comes (MPH dash etc) Would you be ordering a new one, or a nearly new one? Have you factored in the costs of buying over there (flight / hotel / ferry back etc)?

Selling yourself is relatively easy, you will always get a good deal paying in cash. Titaniums seem to be going for 19-25K on Carzone so I'd say you're selling yourself short at 16K (assuming it's in good condition). If a dealer is offering you 20K trade in against a 42K car, if you got more than 17.5K for yours, then you'd be better off (trade in cost to change = 22K, or buy in cash for 39.5K, if you get (say) 18K for yours, then your cost to change is 21.5K, so you're better off).

carsfan wrote: »
    looking at the prices being asked on the internet I relistically do not see it achieving more than 16k plus I have to prep it for sale and possibly have the hassle of being carless waiting for new one.
    The dealer says they are starved of good irish second hand cars to sell hence his trade in price offer.

Most of the 16K ones are (Paddy spec) LXs, not Titaniums - the Titaniums command a premium with their standard extras over the LX variant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Are Ford offering any discounts to dealers currently? They do this from time to time on models that may be for the chop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I have a 2008 S-Max Titanium too... and tempted by these figures; but we only have 26k miles on ours so reckon it will be 2020 before we hit similar mileage:(

OP - I would be inclined to go path of least resistance and take a good dealer offer as less hassle, but no doubt will be plenty of differing opinions on this. Can I check how it has ran with those miles racked up? Have you had any serious issues with it? We are getting a niggly "Engine Malfunction" warning coming on and off recently and had it in to be checked but is back on again.

I bought our's through the UK and was very hassle free - over and back in the day. Only issues may be around paying as garages may want transfer, and you don't want transferring till you have car etc etc so draft's are better way to go for you but dealer may not like it.

the car has been excellent overall.
    Some issues with loose trim etc. but car has had plenty of use and it cleans up well.
    There was a problem with one parking sensor that the garage took a long time to get to the bottom of but otherwise pretty faultless.
    I only called to the garage expecting to be offered 15k to which I would have said thank you and goodbye but was surprised at the figures offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Take the deal offered if you want to change. At 20k the dealer probably has someone for your car - you are unilkely to see that sort of figure elsewhere.

The dealer isn't quite being truthful about the margin, but he does have to make a bit of money somewhere and a €2,500 discount off an S-Max Titanium Auto is a fair whack but leaves the dealer a bit of money too.

The more I think about it I think the cost to change is good.
    He contacted me today as I asked about an X pack which is a few options bunched together. It has been taken down from the Irish price list but was available before and still is on every other european website(I checked!).He said it is available but did not give me a price as he said Ford Ireland told him that it would add at least 2 months to delivery where as he could confirm a May build date without it.
    This does not make sense to me.
    He also said max discount off extras is 5%, this is him giving them to me at cost apparently! Could this be correct? Some of the extras in Ireland are at prices that would make you cry especially when you compare to UK and other european markets.
    He also said Ford will not give me the 4 year warranty and servicing deal currently on offer as while the car would be ordered before the March 31st deadline it will not be delivered. He said he asked Ford head office and they would not do it.
    Does anyone know of any other offers that might be coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

The more I think about it I think the cost to change is good.
    He contacted me today as I asked about an X pack which is a few options bunched together. It has been taken down from the Irish price list but was available before and still is on every other european website(I checked!).He said it is available but did not give me a price as he said Ford Ireland told him that it would add at least 2 months to delivery where as he could confirm a May build date without it.
    This does not make sense to me.
    He also said max discount off extras is 5%, this is him giving them to me at cost apparently! Could this be correct? Some of the extras in Ireland are at prices that would make you cry especially when you compare to UK and other european markets.
    He also said Ford will not give me the 4 year warranty and servicing deal currently on offer as while the car would be ordered before the March 31st deadline it will not be delivered. He said he asked Ford head office and they would not do it.
    Does anyone know of any other offers that might be coming?

Jeez he not making it any more attractive is he! In reality you should get at least €18K for your car privately. Most carzone one are paddy spec lx manuals. Your's is much better and don't sell yourself short. It is a hassle but significant savings can be made in my experience. Buying in the UK is also a hassle but again savings can be big.

Having said all that the dealers original offer wasn't bad if you want a brand new car and no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

veetwin wrote: »
    you should get at least €18K for your car privately.

Even if that's the case. The dealer will give him €17.5k. €500 is a bargain to pay someone as sales commision for an immediate and guaranteed sale. No need to wash the car or fix minor things, no need to advertise, no need to entertain time wasters. Bargain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

unkel wrote: »
    Even if that's the case. The dealer will give him €17.5k. €500 is a bargain to pay someone as sales commision for an immediate and guaranteed sale. No need to wash the car or fix minor things, no need to advertise, no need to entertain time wasters. Bargain :)

Which is why I said the dealer's offer was a good one

Came back again to me.
    Changed the deal as says my car will need new tyres and service etc.
    Wants 24k now for new car with metallic+privacy glass,folding mirrors, heated seats.
    Not so tempted anymore...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There was a problem with one parking sensor that the garage took a long time to get to the bottom of but otherwise pretty faultless.

Symptoms? Mine has just started giving a high pitched tone and refusing to turn on the sensors.
    only called to the garage expecting to be offered 15k to which I would have said thank you and goodbye but was surprised at the figures offered.

Interesting, I wonder if they'll make me an offer when I go in for a service shortly. I have 148,000 km up since Feb 08, with one major issue in that time (bent inner driveshaft, 900 smackers worth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Came back again to me.
    Changed the deal as says my car will need new tyres and service etc.
    Wants 24k now for new car with metallic+privacy glass,folding mirrors, heated seats.
    Not so tempted anymore...

is that spec gone up from the OP's 42k? if not, that a very expensive service + set of tyres :eek:

• Advertisement

Problem with sensors sounds similar. Ours would beep continuously and not function. After lot of tooing and froing replacing sensors etc. the problem was the insulation on the wires to one sensor was perished causing wires to touch each other. When this was taped up prob sorted.

Re. the spec I have just noticed he has included the cost of "seat pack" on quote even though he told me it was not available to order. Taking this off brings it closer to 23k.Otherwise no change in spec.

I was looking at S-Maxes about two years ago, and Murphy & Gunn (Rathgar) were selling grey market import ones - UK spec, very low (just pre-delivery check) mileage (~10). They were very competitive on price, but I didn't go for it at the time as they were the pre-facelift models. If they're still doing it now, then they'd be the current model, I'd imagine.

Advertisement