Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabout rules

• 17-07-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Maybe this is the wrong forum but it's the closest I could find..

Which lane should you be in?

My dad who has been driving 30 years is trying to say you should be in the left lane.
    I've been driving a year and I say right lane.

Although I've shown him rules of the road online etc he still says he's right and needs to be proven wrong :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

The left.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The left.
    In oppsite land!

Surely when you're taking the last exit (other than the one your coming off) you should ALWAYS be in the right hand land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The left.

What? Last exit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

and people say the young drivers are the dangerous ones! :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Toots* wrote: »
    I made him watch that about half an hour ago and it still "wasn't proof enough"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

in all fairness now

i dont believe thats much of a roundabout !

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The real challenge would to be to shoot that video on one of those mad roundabouts like the one in Walkinstown - like 6 exits, nobody seems to know what lane to go in and it's basically put your foot down and hope nobody dings you on the way around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

That's a bit of a bonkers roundabout to get on or off in fairness.
    I'd say start in the right hand lane, you're going practically the whole way round! I'd love to hear his opinion of what the right lane is for! Ask him where the right lane would take you from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

langdang wrote: »
    That's a bit of a bonkers roundabout to get on or off in fairness.
    I'd say start in the right hand lane, you're going practically the whole way round! I'd love to hear his opinion of what the right lane is for! Ask him where the right lane would take you from there...

in circles ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

robbie_998 wrote: »
    in circles ! :pac:
    Ya, infinite loop!:pac:

"Jaysus, I went into the right hand lane there at the top of the town last week, I was daaaays getting out of it. Was lucky to ecscape before I ran out of pertol"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Think of the roundabout as a clock. If you are approaching from 6, Left lane for exits between 6 and 12, right lane for exits from 12 to 6. If everybody did this the world would be a better place.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Twin-go wrote: »
    Think of the roundabout as a clock. If you are approaching from 6, Left lane for exits between 6 and 12, right lane for exits from 12 to 6. If everybody did this the world would be a better place.:D

thats the english system. Nowhere in the rules of the road does it say to use the clock system.

Stick with the exit system here as shown in the add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the English system is "use your mirrors and indicators and follow the well-defined markings and signs" The Irish System is "a total farce"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Right, please!

I drive this roundabout at least half the days in the week. You wouldn't know it to look at the photo, but the traffic on it is generally very slow moving, at least during the daytime. There should be no difficulty going around most of the way in the right lane and moving to the left before exiting for Tesco/Market Green. The problem is actually the folks who stick to the left lane the whole way round and take no account of the people driving correctly who need to change into the left lane before exiting.

Dare I ask what your Da does at the big roundabout on the N25 when he wants to go from St. Mary's Road to Cork? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Toots* wrote: »
    The real challenge would to be to shoot that video on one of those mad roundabouts like the one in Walkinstown - like 6 exits, nobody seems to know what lane to go in and it's basically put your foot down and hope nobody dings you on the way around!

The Walkinstown roundabout is quite simple actually. All entrances bar Ballymount have 3 lanes. There are 6 exits. left lane for the first 2 exits, middle for next 2 and right for next 2 works fine and its what most people do. Its only when some eejit comes along an goes diagonally across lanes or decides that theres a few cars queing in the lane they should be using so decides to use whatever is the quickest that theres issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

stacexD wrote: »
    Maybe this is the wrong forum but it's the closest I could find..

Which lane should you be in?

My dad who has been driving 30 years is trying to say you should be in the left lane. I've been driving a year and I say right lane.

Although I've shown him rules of the road online etc he still says he's right and needs to be proven wrong :D

You say its the right lane & you are correct. As a driver with some twenty five years+ experience I too would say that you should stay in the RIGHT hand lane (for this particular roundabout) & for the exit shown. To stay in the left would be obviously wrong, illogical, and asking for trouble!

landyman wrote: »
    thats the english system. Nowhere in the rules of the road does it say to use the clock system.

To be fair there are a couple of things wrong with that ad.
    Many roundabouts have more exits and roads joining with different numbers of lanes.
    Also the use the right lane to go straight if the left lane is "blocked", peoples definitions of blocked maybe quite different.

Also the use the left lane to go straight if the right lane is "blocked", peoples definitions of blocked maybe quite different.

Other way round. If your goign straight youd be in the left lane anyway. Plus when it says blocked it shows a broken down car. To me that indicates blocked as in it wont clear any time soon, not that theres a queue of traffic using the lane.

Other way round. If your goign straight youd be in the left lane anyway. Plus when it says blocked it shows a broken down car. To me that indicates blocked as in it wont clear any time soon, not that theres a queue of traffic using the lane.

Yes that would be my interpretation too. But to others and what I witness every day (especially on two lanes in two lanes out) is people using the right lane straight ahead for overtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

stacexD wrote: »

My dad who has been driving 30 years is trying to say you should be in the left lane.
    :D

He's an awful eejit, all that's going to do is cause extra danger and p!ss people off. he wants to go ALL the way around that in the left lane? Stupid.

On the subject of him driving for 30 years... my mother's bene driving for 30 years but never did a driving test! Now in fairness she's never had an accident but still

Yes that would be my interpretation too. But to others and what I witness every day (especially on two lanes in two lanes out) is people using the right lane straight ahead for overtaking.

Theres idiots everywhere though, you just cant legislate for them.Best you can do is try educate them, I think the ad is fairly straight forward.

I'm not sure if I'm just noticing it more but since those ads started I see a huge amount of people indicating right going straight through roundabouts.:rolleyes:

Also places like the Spawell roundabout in Templeogue. Coming from Orwell direction, with Tallaght to the right and Templeogue left. Theres 2 lanes coming on to the roundabout. So even without any additional markings, this roundabout is a simple one like in the video. But there are signs at this roundabout saying you can only go left or straight in the left line, like normal, so its just reterating the rules. It does however say you can go straight as well as right in the right lane. Most times I use it, so idiot is going right in the left lane. This is at various times of the day with heavy and light traffic.

The big Wellington roundabout further back is again a simple layout with 2 lanes going on at each entrance yet most peopl I see going from wellington towards the Sapwell use the right lane to go straight.The mind boggles. A guy in his 20's in a Golf started shouting and waving at me in his mirrors one day because I went straight in the left lane.There are no markigns or signs to say that roundabout differs from the rules of the road.

The worst part is coming from the Spawell down towards Perrystown. Again your going straight, and again a large amount of people go in to the right lane to go straight, yet when they get further down to the small roundabout , again with 2 lanes on, the same peopel now use the left lane to go straight.:confused:

I've noticed a big increase in the amount of people going straight in the left lane that go straight across the lanes of the roundabout, usually if your not right beside them. If you arrive at the roundabout just as they are pulling off and end up half a lenght behind they just go straight across hugging the roundabout and then back off in the left lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

landyman wrote: »

The RSA addressed this recently to a poster here, but I'm not sure if they've updated their literature.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70800115&postcount=706

Anyhoo, this thread has been done to death, and the OP's question answered (hint: it's Right, switching to left as/after you pass the R627), so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement