Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Clio TCE vs dCi engines

Options
  • 17-08-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Getting a new car for the missus and have all but settled on a 2008 Clio - currently living in the UK but will be importing back into Ireland and so the 2008 model will incur lower road tax (and no VRT :p).

Anyway, I had been looking at the 86bhp version of the 1.5 diesel (it comes in 3 states of tune in the UK) until I found the 1.2 TCE which I believe isn't available in Ireland?

Its based on the 75bhp 1.2 16V, but turbocharged to give 100bhp and has had a very positive reception.

I do however have a couple of questions:

1. Anyone here driven a TCE version of the 1.2?
    2. I believe that 1.5 diesel is pretty decent, anyone agree or disagree?
    3. As the TCE isnt on sale in Ireland, do you think that could result in higher insurance costs or maintenance costs? Does it matter or not?

In terms of deciding between the two, I do tend to prefer petrols especially in small cars I think they suit their character more! However I'm sure the diesel would be the better motorway cruiser. The car would be doing a lot of motorway driving for the next year (2000 miles per month) but after moving home it would be mainly urban. The petrol is also cheaper second hand over here than the diesel - I could pick up a 2008 model with decent spec and less than 20k miles still under warranty for £5500 to £6000.

So I'm just looking for informed opinions.:)

Please, no Renault bashers. Thats not what I'm here for!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I think (but I'm open to correction) that in order to qualify for zero VRT, you must have owned the car for 12 months prior to your move to Ireland.

As for which engine, I've no experience of either, but I also prefer a petrol engine in a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

ianobrien wrote: »
    I think (but I'm open to correction) that in order to qualify for zero VRT, you must have owned the car for 12 months prior to your move to Ireland.

As for which engine, I've no experience of either, but I also prefer a petrol engine in a small car.

I need to own it for 6 months here, which I would. And 12 at the far end before being able to sell.

The other cars I would possibly consider (although be less keen on) are the Corsa 1.3 diesel and the Yaris 1.3 petrol. I do think the Clio is a nicer car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

ianobrien wrote: »

Its 6 months, but you cannot sell it for 12 months once re-registered.

Your MUST prove to the VRO that you did own it and use it for minimum 6 months (tax/insurance etc) with proof of residence in the UK (utility bills/payslips etc) to qualify for the VRT excemptment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A family member has the 85 bhp DCI 5 speed in a Megane III. The engine is OK, it's better than I expected for cruising and overtaking. However it labours at low revs, probably unsurprising for a low capacity t-diesel.

When I drive it I get around 59-60 mpg average that includes motorway driving where economy is relatively poor. The person that owns it is a more sedate driver and gets 70-71 mpg average having gotten 40-43 mpg averge from their previous 1.4 petrol Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mr.David wrote: »
    I need to own it for 6 months here, which I would. And 12 at the far end before being able to sell.

The other cars I would possibly consider (although be less keen on) are the Corsa 1.3 diesel and the Yaris 1.3 petrol. I do think the Clio is a nicer car though.

Would you not consider the Fiesta? I don't have much experience with cars in this sector, but we have supplied a few Fiesta's this year (1.4Tdci's) and they are pretty damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

We have the 1.5dci in our Megane, and a parent has a 2010 Clio 1.5 86bhp. The Clio is a fine car, comfy, refined, a great cruiser and ridiculously economical. No experience of the petrol turbo but I would expect it to be a lot more thirsty and 2K a month is a lot. I recently drove a Clio 1.2 petrol and it was woefully uneconomical, really terrible.

If it was me it would be the diesel without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

R.O.R wrote: »
    Would you not consider the Fiesta? I don't have much experience with cars in this sector, but we have supplied a few Fiesta's this year (1.4Tdci's) and they are pretty damn good.

I would have considered it.....until I tried one. I think it looks great, and it drives well and handles well etc. There were two things that I strongly disliked about the car - firstly the road noise was really really intrusive and seems to be a known issue, and secondly the quality of the interior plastics imo is poor. Somewhat surprisingly I think the Clio has a nicer interior and is much more refined.

The final consideration is the fact that the Clio is significantly cheaper due to the steep depreciation curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If it means anything Mr.David, I have the 1.4D Yaris and its not bad. Road noise is really not an issue, though maybe in Ireland it would be.

Though you seem the risk loving fellow, so maybe the French car is the way to go.

Also its got a lovely bum.

Advertisement