Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 406 1.8 petrol vs 2.0 hdi??

Options
  • 23-09-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Lads im interested in getting a 406. Now i had my myself set on getting the diesel variant. Since ive begun looking for a decent hdi 406 ive noticed there aren't too many available, most have huge mileage & a lot of them look tired. Ok granted what do i expect with a 2000 euro budget?!:D
    One thing i have noticed is theres a lot more of the 1.8 petrol powered versions. Some with very tempting low mileage.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/406/1.8/201033199229232/advert?channel=CARS

The stats on both engines are 36mpg combined for the petrol & 50 mpg for the hdi.

Since i do mostly city driving would there really be big differenece in daily costs in a petrol vs diesel comparison. Does the advantage of diesel power only really show itself in longer distance driving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd still go diesel. Even around town it should beat the petrol comfortably and they are a much nicer car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

I've had both petrol and diesel. The diesel was slow, petrol was fairly quick for a 1.8 and size of car, it also wasn't too hard on juice. Check all electrics work, some indicators on the newer models sometimes don't self cancel and can be very annoying, check cabin ventilation controls and make sure the clutch is free and easy to move (had to replace that on my petrol).
    I put around 150,000 miles on my used petrol 406 and loved it, put 70,000 on the diesel and got fairly tired of it. Consumption was not all it was cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Petrol 406 saloons were unloved. The diesels were way superior but the problem is that even the newest 406 diesels are hitting 7 years old so finding a decent one these days that hasn't spent most of it's life pulling horse boxes or ferrying passengers around is very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

+1 for Diesel....long term i'd go for Diesel as the should still average around 45mpg around town and the hold there value alot better than petrols...:)

There is'nt much difference when it comes to tax and the mpg would well pay
    it back within a year.
    The 90bhp should get up to 750mls to a tank of diesel...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

I had a 2.0 petrol and it was not the best on the juice. I think I was get 30-32mpg. They are a very heavy car. Having said that they are very comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

My mate owns the 406 1.8 petrol and I've driven it, I found it sluggish for a 1.8, seemed to me it was the smallest engine they could put in it tbh. He's paying 650e in tax a year and thats not cheap for something so slow. Havent driven the diesel but I would get it before the petrol based on my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zubair wrote: »
    My mate owns the 406 1.8 petrol and I've driven it, I found it sluggish for a 1.8, seemed to me it was the smallest engine they could put in it tbh. He's paying 650e in tax a year and thats not cheap for something so slow. Havent driven the diesel but I would get it before the petrol based on my experience.

Tax on a 1.8 litre is €585 per year, 2.0 litre is €614.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

bazz26 wrote: »
    Tax on a 1.8 litre is €585 per year, 2.0 litre is €614.

oops you're right, he drives the 2.0. That makes the 1.8 worse :D

Advertisement