Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am looking for a used car with a budget of €1000. Any ideas?

• 17-11-2009 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hello,

I am looking for a used car and I have a budget of €1000.

I need the car for the commute to work (20 miles round trip).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't know a whole lot about cars but I'd imagine the lads here that do would want a bit more info - body type, fuel type etc etc.

Off the bat, I'd say it'd be hard to go wrong with either a 97+ Primera or similar age Ford Fiesta. Cheap to run, tax is hardly anything too, only thing to worry about is the NCT. Those types of cars are generally bullet proof too.

You'll basically be running this car til it can't go anymore, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

I'd definitley go Jap or German here, if you look hard enough you should find a half decent Honda Civic Volkswagen Polo or Toyota Corolla from around 97/98 up. If you find one around the 1200 mark, bargain ur ass off and you should get it for a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

cson wrote: »
    You'll basically be running this car til it can't go anymore, right?

Yes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I bought a Toyota Starlet over a year ago for just over a grand. 55k on the clock, one owner. Perfect car. Don't give a poo what it looks like. Does 45mpg and I can leave it anywhere. Needs good tyres though as they are a little light on their feet. Flew its NCT, everything bang on (except I had to buy a battery bracket for the new battery that the vendor had fitted). Will go for ever. I recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Go with E39MSPORT there, Mrs had a 95 Starlet, ran on the smell of petrol, came with power steering and air con, great little car. So if your looking for one try the Jap imports better spec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

My friend had a Starlet as well, 95 I think. I think it is an awful car, unsafe, you can find better than that OP.

Howabout Volvo S40, 4 star rating and you can get it under 1k.

I have one, no major problems, not very economical tough and insurance might be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

neil_purdy wrote: »

No NCT, clutch is goosed...oh and it's yours:rolleyes:

Starlet would be a good one if you're not in anyway bothered about the actual car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

of course its mine!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Starlet was a great wee car, reliable, economical and grunty enough in the 1.3 version.
    Feck all to go wrong with them and I would say a lot better than the Yaris that replaced them.
    Just a simple reliable car IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Starlet was a great wee car, reliable, economical and grunty enough in the 1.3 version.
    Feck all to go wrong with them and I would say a lot better than the Yaris that replaced them.
    Just a simple reliable car IMHO.

Wouldnt say nothing goes wrong with them. I started driving a 92 1.0 Starlet when I 1st started driving. Few things gave trouble wheel bearing, heater matrix (an absolute bitch to get out of the dash), dash light. + it had absolute god awful handling. You would be up against the windows either side of the car depending on the bend you were going round due to body roll.

Had a 1.3 Xli corolla after that for a few years. 97 had good spec as they were finishing production on that model (prior to the bug eye model) it never missed a beat. Think the timing belt service in 2005 was something like 130euro.......at the main dealer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Ive been driving a 96 corolla for 3 years now and its been perfect not a single thing wrong with it. Done the job and got me thru college without costing a fortune. Im tempted to sell it soon, ill give ye a shout! only 55 K miles!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wouldnt say nothing goes wrong with them. I started driving a 92 1.0 Starlet when I 1st started driving. Few things gave trouble wheel bearing, heater matrix (an absolute bitch to get out of the dash), dash light. + it had absolute god awful handling. You would be up against the windows either side of the car depending on the bend you were going round due to body roll.
    I didn't say nothing goes wrong, I said there is feck all to go wrong as in a basic vehicle with few electrics and associated problems.
    Yours sounded like a bad one though:D
    The 4EFE engine was a lot better as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The Volvo is a lot of car for the money Magnus. It looks clean and is NCT'd until the end of 2010. However it has just to point out to OP it has a 2.0 petrol engine so it might be a non runner due to insurance and it wouldn't be too easy on juice either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

The 1.8 is pants. Had one. Pulled like a granny. Had serious issues with the rear suspension also. I got a warranty repair done. The ARB bushes comprise of more than one part and they come apart easily. Fix is to do some welding apparently.

If you're on a budget then anything over 1.3 territory doesn't make sense.

Also, I'd go for lower spec on an older car. Stuff breaks and some of it can be costly and mandatory to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

i bought a 2litre turbo deisel avensis two yrs ago wit 170000miles there bullet proof currently 270000plus miles on it but the gearbox and clutch is starting to go on it now still driving perfect thou grea car for the money so they r;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

gleep wrote: »
    I'd definitley go Jap or German here, if you look hard enough you should find a half decent Honda Civic Volkswagen Polo or Toyota Corolla from around 97/98 up. If you find one around the 1200 mark, bargain ur ass off and you should get it for a grand.

I was thinking about a 1999 toyota carina with 100,000 miles?

Its only €1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »

What are they like on fuel consumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dunno, reviews are saying 50+mpg. I seen a few before I bought a '02 mondeo. All in good shape for the money, I've only heard good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

VW Polo 1.0 or 1.2 liter! You cant go wrong. Cheap on petrol, Cheap on parts, Goes forever, Nippy enough compared to 1.0 starlets, micra`s e.t.c very comfortable litte cars too.

I owned one for 2 years, Not a bother on it and it was 97 with pretty damn high miles. They go for peanuts nowadays.

Advertisement