Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

School run car- Rusty 323, Slow Focus, boring Corolla, overrated Golf, etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kwazar wrote: »
    Which one (if any)?

'03 Focus: more miles, more expensive, newer, private:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-2003/7689663

'99 Almera: less miles, cheaper, older, dealer:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-almera-1-4-nct-02-2015/7453464

'02 323: sportier(?), more tax
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-323-f-glx-for-sell/7539241

or maybe '00 Golf or '99 Corolla instead?

There is too much choice!

The Mazda, without a doubt. Have a 1.6 GLX here as an emergency car and its a great little yoke. Look out for oil burning on startup and be aware that parts can be pricey and hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kwazar

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Mazda, without a doubt. Have a 1.6 GLX here as an emergency car and its a great little yoke. Look out for oil burning on startup and be aware that parts can be pricey and hard to come by.

This is what I would probably get but I don't think my wife will appreciate it. ;) What would be your second choice? Fun of driving is least important in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

This is what I would probably get but I don't think my wife will appreciate it. ;) What would be your second choice? Fun of driving is least important in this case.

Second choice would be the focus m8

wiz569 wrote: »
    Second choice would be the focus m8

Even with that mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

Even with that mileage?

Yes m8, it's had a lot of work done already and claims to have full service history, so if that checks out you should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I wouldn't touch a 323 of that vintage at this stage, they are rot boxes.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch a 323 of that vintage at this stage, they are rot boxes.

Not all are,not be fair. That one claims to have been through an NCT recently. (must be backdated) the one I have here isn't rusted either.

What about Almera or Golf?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-almera-1-4-nct-02-2015/7453464
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-volkswagen-goal/7720574

I have to say I like Almera more than Focus cause it's Japanese and all. They supposed to be reliable aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

those almeras were the model which followed was a lump of ****e

Not all are,not be fair. That one claims to have been through an NCT recently. (must be backdated) the one I have here isn't rusted either.

Most are at this stage, get yours up on a lift and have a good look underneath, they are made with absolutely terrible rust protection. The underbody chassis rails, sill, arches are are very prone to rust. nct is meaningless where tin worm is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Dont know how reliable the petrol Golf is but it is still a good looking car compared to the others.

A rotten car will pass an NCT?

I'm sorry John, its great that you have opinions, but I've checked underneath the 1.6 I have, and it will be going through the test again in the coming months.
    My friends 02 diesel and my other friends 99 1.5 petrol (my mothers old car actually) both passed NCT this year.

I'm not saying they don't rust, but you should take each car on its merits.

A rotten car will pass an NCT?

I'm sorry John, its great that you have opinions, but I've checked underneath the 1.6 I have, and it will be going through the test again in the coming months.
    My friends 02 diesel and my other friends 99 1.5 petrol (my mothers old car actually) both passed NCT this year.

I'm not saying they don't rust, but you should take each car on its merits.

No they really are terrible for rust. They are one of the worst modern cars in that regard imo.

I couldn't find a good rust free example when I was looking for one back in 09, and I looked at many examples. Ended up with a corolla instead.

My neighbor had to send their 2003 example to the scrapper last year because it was so bad underneath. It's a shame they are so rust prone because they are a nice enough car and reliable enough apart from the speedo giving trouble on the facelifts

And yes a rusty car will pass a test as long as there is no holes showing. Don't take the test as a guarantee of a rust free car.

It's true you should take each cars on their merits but from my experience with these I just wouldn't bother with one at this stage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

A 1.4 golf of that vintage is not a good car.
    Terrible engines, very basic, generally none of the extras that make the higher spec cars desirable. Double the price of the Almera.

The Almera looks good, they are a basic car too but hugely more reliable as long as the sills are intact. Very easy to see when you look at them.
    Cheap to tax, drive and insure and have little to go wrong with them.
    Brake lines should be checked, as should the headlight connections and the sills as mentioned.
    Hard to beat for the money, faster and more nimble than the Golf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dont know how reliable the petrol Golf is but it is still a good looking car compared to the others.

:eek: Golfs were never, ever, good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bladespin wrote: »

It was clearly a relative thing, compared to a first gen almera or final gen 323, the MkIV Golf is almost coherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

1.4 golf is a saleable car, no matter what, sold one 2 weeks ago for a friend.
    Put it up on DD on sat night and had cash for the car on Sunday evening.
    Edit: in relation to the posts above

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

cadaliac wrote: »
    1.4 golf is a saleable car, no matter what, sold one 2 weeks ago for a friend.
    Put it up on DD on sat night and had cash for the car on Sunday evening.
    Edit: in relation to the posts above

This is why I don't get Ireland.
    They're so ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

CianRyan wrote: »
    This is why I don't get Ireland.
    They're so ****.
    1.4 tax with the VW badge, and basic spec! That's what sells!

Conveniently forgetting the 1.0 performance and 2.0 fuel economy!

OK, Golf off my list then.
    Will have a look at Almera and Focus.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Well their a hell of alot more better looking than them japs. Almera 323 yuk looking.

Well their a hell of alot more better looking than them japs. Almera 323 yuk looking.

The golf is still very bland looking though. For reliability the japs are well ahead of petrol VW's of that vintage.

OK, Golf off my list then.
    Will have a look at Almera and Focus.

Cheers!

A corolla would be a better option than an Almera.

The golf is still very bland looking though. For reliability the japs are well ahead of petrol VW's of that vintage.

They are far less bland looking than the japs of that vintage. Still look good even after 16 years. Can't say that about alot of cars.

They are far less bland looking than the japs of that vintage. Still look good even after 16 years. Can't say that about alot of cars.

I don't agree that they are far less bland looking tbh. They may have aged well and they may look more upmarket than other cars of the time in that class, but a mk4 golf is anything but exciting.

The petrols were also very soft and build was only average.

Japs of that vintage where so far ahead of vw for reliability and quality

They may have aged well and they may look more upmarket than other cars of the time in that class.

Wouldn't disagree with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

In your eyes possibly but either way the golf has never been a stylish or good looking car by any stretch, practical - yes, functional - yes, economical - maybe, reliable - not as good as made out to be but more bland than flour, white flour.

They may have aged well and they may look more upmarket than other cars of the time in that class.

Wouldn't disagree with that statement.

Looks can be deceiving. quality and reliability fell well short of the image.

In your eyes possibly but either way the golf has never been a stylish or good looking car by any stretch, practical - yes, functional - yes, economical - maybe, reliable - not as good as made out to be but more bland than flour, white flour.

Well if they are white flour what is an almera, corolla,323 etc.

• Advertisement

Looks can be deceiving. quality and reliability fell well short of the image.

I never said anything about reliability, I was just talking about their looks which still look fresh.

Advertisement