Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App built on the cheap?

Options
  • 24-04-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a student who could build an app for me cheaply?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Probably loads... Summer's coming and part-time jobs are hard to come by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Should be easy enough to find a student to do it. I know of a few (myself included) who would do it quite cheap as a learning experience and something to do during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

@ Vuzuggu - How long does it take to build one? How good are you at coding? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

mandy30 It depends completely on what sort of app you are looking for. Is it a game or what would you like the app to do. Is it for Apple, Android or Microsoft?

I'd be good enough. Have a good bit of experience in developing app for Android and some experience with Apple

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    mandy30 It depends completely on what sort of app you are looking for. Is it a game or what would you like the app to do. Is it for Apple, Android or Microsoft?

I'd be good enough. Have a good bit of experience in developing app for Android and some experience with Apple

I'll pm you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yes, it's possible with Innovation Vouchers - check out https://innovationvouchers.ie/
    If you own or manage a small limited company with a company registration number and you have a business opportunity or problem that you want to explore, why not apply for an Innovation Voucher worth €5,000?

The objective of the Innovation Voucher initiative is to build links between Ireland's public knowledge providers and small businesses and create a cultural shift in the small business community's approach to innovation.

Move quickly, closing date for current applications is 28th April and there may not be another window in 2013.

Wow. That looks amazing. Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't own a business though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Is there such a thing as a student who could build an app for me cheaply

of course it is. Is it maintainable, can you contact the student at all times, can the app be upgraded/improved etc

Would you get your accounts done by a student accountant, legal advice from a law student, bridge/house designed by a student engineer, surgery performed by a medical student?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

@Mandy:
    I am a student at GMIT.
    If you will PM me the requirements...
    I will write you back a detailed proposal...

amen wrote: »
    Would you get your accounts done by a student accountant, legal advice from a law student, bridge/house designed by a student engineer, surgery performed by a medical student?

**Rolls eyes**

• Advertisement

iwantthat wrote: »
    @Mandy:
    I am a student at GMIT.
    If you will PM me the requirements...
    I will write you back a detailed proposal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

should this thread not be in situations vacant sticky?

Nope.

Admin told me here was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

**Rolls eyes**

why the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

When the only requirement given from the outset is "cheap" - you know it doesn't bode well for the project, for either side.

@mandy30 - Cheap, Reliable, Good Performance - Pick two for your app.

00833827 wrote: »
    When the only requirement given from the outset is "cheap" - you know it doesn't bode well for the project, for either side.

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When you're building a house you have a few ways to reduce the cost:

1) Build it yourself (literally, roll-the sleeves up and get the hands dirty).
    2) Employ direct labour and project manage it yourself.
    3) Buy a flat-pack/kit-house.

Of course there are major downsides to any of these approaches

1) Is hard work and requires much effort on your part and of course you need to know what you're doing.
    2) Requires you spend much time managing the project and necessitates a good understanding of the architecture/build-process/building regulations etc etc etc.
    3) Is quick and relatively easy as most of the house is pre-fabricated from a catalogue of existing designs. Compromises will be required in the house design as you're choosing from a relatively limited menu of options.

Notice that looking for an apprentice builder does not appear on the 'ways to significantly reduce costs' list, although it may contribute a saving if used in conjunction with options 1/2/3.

The App Build equivalent:

1) Build it yourself (literally, roll-the sleeves up get on the keyboard).
    2) Employ direct labour and project manage it yourself (hire a programmer/graphic designer).
    3) Use an app-building kit/web-site/service.

The downside to these approaches is:

1) Is hard work and requires much effort on your part and of course you need to know what you're doing.
    2) Requires you spend much time managing the project and necessitates a good understanding of the architecture/build-process/app-store rules etc etc etc.
    3) Is quick and relatively easy as most of the App is pre-fabricated from a catalogue of existing options. Compromises will be required in the App design as you're choosing from a relatively limited menu.

Notice that looking for a student does not appear on the 'ways to significantly reduce costs' list, although it may contribute a saving if used in conjunction with options 1/2/3.

It may help if you gave an overview of the App and the platforms you expect it to run on.

If someone tells you they can do it without at least asking the following questions, 00833827 is correct. It doesn't bode well. If you don't have the answers to these questions.........

QUESTIONS:
    What platforms will the App run on?
    Do you want a native App or will an html5 App suffice?
    What sort of time-scales.
    Do you have a graphic designer.
    Do you have a design/wire-frames already or is this person expected to do the analysis and design too?
    Does it need a back-end/infrastructure/database or is it a stand-alone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Trojan wrote: »
    Yes, it's possible with Innovation Vouchers - check out https://innovationvouchers.ie/

Move quickly, closing date for current applications is 28th April and there may not be another window in 2013.

As the OP has given absolutely no details about the App they want, other than that it be cheap, there isn't really a lot to go on.

But I'd just note that Innovation Vouchers are really supposed to be used for something innovative - really something that you need the skillset of university researchers for. They are supposed to allow people to get started on research collaborations.

Its not supposed to be a way to get standard software development done on the cheap; that'd probably be a waste of university researchers time, and a waste of taxpayers money.

If you look on:
    https://innovationvouchers.ie/page.aspx?SP=Permitted_uses

It says:
    Ineligible activities:

The Innovation Voucher may not be used to cover the costs of:
    [...]
    * software purchases and software development
    [...]
    * standard mobile appplications development

fergalr wrote: »
    I'd just note that Innovation Vouchers are really supposed to be used for something innovative

I would disagree with you but...
    fergalr wrote: »
    As the OP has given absolutely no details about the App they want, other than that it be cheap, there isn't really a lot to go on.

... you've answered your own point already.

I agree with your overall point, they shouldn't be used as a way of just getting regular development done on the cheap, but they could help a boot-strapped startup get a prototype to market, which would be a legitimate use of the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 freddiemercury

we used creativeappsolution dot com to make cross platform
    but it really depends on what you are looking for
    cross platform is the best way to go
    we made the mistake of going IOS (IPHONE)
    but that limited or business to only iphone users so we hired the guys mentioned above to redo for all platforms
    when in reality there are more smart phone users (android)
    than iphone
    so what ever you do go for cross platform hope this helps
    my recomendation is go profesional not cheap
    and profesional coders dont cost a hell of a lot either way
    well creative app solution didnt cost much anyway
    but depends on how cheap is cheap
    i think they start at 300 euro for basic app small fuctionality

good luck

• Advertisement

Regarding writing apps for multiple platforms (usually HTML5 based AFAIK) note that Facebook scrapped their cross platform version and switched back to 2 native apps for IOS and Android for performance and stability reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

It depends on what the app will need to do that decides whether you could use a HTML5 platform or not - they dont have all the capabilities of a native environment. They can perform differently to native (scrolling, segue's that kind of thing) on device also - I have used a couple of these platforms and sure for a simple enough app (say parse a couple of feeds to a couple of views) in a short development time they can be useful to deliver an app for IOS and Andriod devices, for me they lack much of what you can achieve coding in native IOS.

In my last job I used one such platform to create an app that had about 8 or 9 views using various feeds and an audio stream. In this instance i was able to develop it pretty quickly, it worked well and turned out a decent, stable app. After testing I had to handle a few difference's between iPhone and Android, but no show stoppers. My boss wanted certain features that appeared on similar app's and when i told him the capabilities of the platform (the one he specified we use) didn't extend that far, he simply didn't understand. Also started picking holes with the way the view scroll didn't bounce like other (native) apps, the way the views segued, splash screen, activity indicator appearance, subtle things that can be outside of your control on these HTML 5 platforms, they are often not customizable as they are in their native platform.

So pro's and con's for the HTML5 platforms i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Regarding writing apps for multiple platforms (usually HTML5 based AFAIK) note that Facebook scrapped their cross platform version and switched back to 2 native apps for IOS and Android for performance and stability reasons.

I think the reasons for this switch were actually more to do the lack of detail in diagnostics rather than performance and stability, at least according to this interview.

I think the tooling isn't there just yet to drill into the causes of things like memory leaks if you are not using native code. For small apps this is probably not such an issue, don't you think ?

It's interesting that LinkedIn did it for different reasons than Facebook:

http://readwrite.com/2012/08/23/how-facebook-ditched-the-mobile-web-went-native-with-its-new-ios-app

Edit: Yeah this is a bit of a tangent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

No point abandoning a perfectly good tangent once it's been started...

You might be interested in this:
    http://www.sencha.com/blog/the-making-of-fastbook-an-html5-love-story

They claim that HTML5 is powerful enough to make an app just as good as facebook's native one (they did a proof of concept to demo), and that the problems with HTML5 mobile apps stem from people taking the wrong approach to developing them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's worth noting too that Facebook want to own all of your mobile data and know where you are and what you are doing at any particular moment. I don't know much about what APIs iOS/Android expose to HTML5, but I'd guess that it's much easier for native apps to run in the background and hook into events like calls/texts being recieved.

Advertisement