Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How deep is too deep

• 29-06-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

How far up on the front\sides of your car would flood water have to come before you do so damage. Driving an S-Max 2007 model 1.8TD and a regularly travelled road floods quiet often.

Probably about 12-14 inches deep, occasionally higher. The round trip to avoid this takes an extra 10-15mins and I'm basically wondering what depth you drive your car into without fear of damage.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

All depends where your air filter intake is located.

I wouldn't be driving any car through a foot of water myself. 10-15 min extra journey will be a lot cheaper than a new engine if you flood it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Fair enough, round trip it is then, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Generally your air intake is where most water would get in. But every car has breather pipes and vents, so water can get places it shouldn't be even if the water is below your intake. You should only drive in water to the bottom of your wheel, any deeper is risky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Air intake obviously but any deeper than the sills is asking for trouble. If in doubt, don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

IMO you stand a bigger chance of soaking the electrics or simply getting washed away.

When in doubt don't chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yeah. Ploughing through flooded road was what finally killed off my Laguna. It got into the wiring loom and played havoc.

In the end, it wasn't the patchy build quality that killed it, but a driver ignoring the manufacturer's suggestion that it not be driven through water deeper than the bottom of the wheel rims.

Still laboured on for months, but it was obvious the thing was like the granny with cancer just barely clinging on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dartz wrote: »
    Yeah. Ploughing through flooded road was what finally killed off my Laguna. It got into the wiring loom and played havoc.

In the end, it wasn't the patchy build quality that killed it, but a driver ignoring the manufacturer's suggestion that it not be driven through water deeper than the bottom of the wheel rims.

Still laboured on for months, but it was obvious the thing was like the granny with cancer just barely clinging on.

Uhh, sure it was the floods. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I saw the thread title an thought of something much more sordid... :pac:

Not above the door shut lines. That's a no no. Think of the electrics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

CianRyan wrote: »
    Uhh, sure it was the floods. :pac:

Well, It ran like clockwork since I got it (Minor glitches aside) then finally started playing up ten minutes after I gave it an accidental U-boat treatment and it decided it had a gearbox.

Seems like there's a correlation.

It was a lovely, comfy car that gave better than it's reputation. Ten years old, and finally sold off today. It made it to its new owner under its own power. (Looks like the heat dried it out or something)

I miss it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

dgt wrote: »
    I saw the thread title an thought of something much more sordid... :pac:

Not above the door shut lines. That's a no no. Think of the electrics...

I could only imagine the responses in After Hours :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement