Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat PD 130 Opinions

Options
  • 28-06-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Looking at buying a 02/03 Passat PD 130 1.9TDI at the minute. I know a lot of people really like these engines but my main question would be about milleage. A lot of the cars up for sale have over 150,000 miles and more, so I'm just wondering if this is anything to worry about when buying one of these car.

As far as I know the timing belt should have been done at around the 100,000 mile mark, so other than that what sort of condition should the turbo and stuff be in at this sort of milleage.

Other than that has anyone got any opinions on buying these cars?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Timing belt every 60k miles so last change at that mileage would be at 120k and its oil should be changed every 10k with VW spec 505.01 or VW spec 507.00 for extended service intervals although I wouldnt leave it go to 20k before changing the oil.

I have a 03 130bhp highline which I look after myself: Things that I have done to it so far maintenance wise include the following:
    • Regular servicing replacing the oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter, brake pads.
    • Changed the temperature sender as it was sending erroneous signals (due to a short to the ECU which was displaying an emissions warning on the driver computer. Its a 30euro part and about a litre of coolant.
    • Rear corner parking sensor was faulty could only source it from the Dealer (80quid)
    • Make sure the drains in the phlenum chamber are cleaned regularly otherwise you could have the famous water ingress issue effecting the CCU.
    • Check C.V. boots (prevention is better than cure).
    • Driver door module switch can fail - annoying problem which means the car doesnt know when the door is open (i.e. no courtesy lights, alarm does not function and no light on buzzer). You can replace the module or repair it for about 10euro and 3 hours work.
    • Most Irish cars wont have the sump cover underneath they fall off with time.
    • Changed antiroll bar links at 90k odd as handling was vague.
    • Both front shocks replaced at 105k miles went with OE parts.
    • I had to replace my mirror glass on both sides as some prick robbed them. £35 from GSF to replace.
    • Upgraded the headlights to HIDS as the standard ones are woeful
    • Installed a bluetooth hands free system.

They are a very reliable car and when i was in Germany I saw a taxi with about 700k kms on the clock. They are a better buy than the early B6 models which were plagued with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

Thanks for that. Didnt realise the timing belt service interval was every 60,000. One I was looking at had 170,000 miles on it so I suppose that timing belt will be due soon enough.

As for the phlenum chamber, where abouts would I find that when looking in the engine bay?

As far as I know two of the ones I'm planning on going to see are English imports.

I wrote a how to before including pics regards maintenance including the plenum chamber issue. See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63291370

If the car is a UK import it would be worth while checking the previous UK reg that will be listed in the Irish log book with HPI to verify mileage.

This is not to say all UK cars have been clocked. Most have the correct mileage entering the country but get clocked while here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Diar

my father has a 03 Bora TDI 100bhp it had 91k miles when he got it it now has 219k miles flywheel is going in it now though ( previous owner used it to pull trailers occasionally, would last longer only for that) . The only other mechanical problem he had with it was the fuel pump went about 10k miles ago.

He replaced the boot lock motor on two occasions.

I bought a 03 TDI A4 2 weeks ago. I'm amazed by the range I can get with a full tank 750+ mile when you drive it efficiently (have a Bigger tank than VW's).

I had an 02 and I swear to god the Punto gave me 0 trouble but the passat nearly made me cry. The engine will out live you with proper care but the rest of it is a bag of S**T.

Where do I start, inner and outer cv joints. Suspension control arms, shocks. Internal rattles.

0 electrical problems, engine problems.

Was a quiet enough car and comfortable cruiser and 50 mpg average per tank. Great torque. Once I felt the familiar flywheel vibration on acceleration it was time to say goodbye at about 95,000 miles

My advice is steer well clear of a 01-09 VW. It wasn't my first bad experience with VW's.

If I were you I would look for a A4 B6 model. 01-05 far far better car then the Passat, same engine and I bought it with 100,000 miles and sold it at 200,000 and it was still perfect.

People think VW is the same as Audi, WRONG!

I think the biggest worry now is clocked cars especially German Diesels,especially in these times. I always advice people to register your cars mileage on line so it should show up on a car check when you go to sell it.

I had a program called Vagcom and a cable I could hook up to the OBDII port and it would tell me the mileage, but I don't know if that was from the odometer or ECU ?

But the A4 is by far worth the extra few quid unless it's too small, space is a little tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I always advice people to register your cars mileage on line so it should show up on a car check when you go to sell it.

How?

I had an 02 and I swear to god the Punto gave me 0 trouble but the passat nearly made me cry. The engine will out live you with proper care but the rest of it is a bag of S**T.

Where do I start, inner and outer cv joints. Suspension control arms, shocks. Internal rattles.

0 electrical problems, engine problems.

Was a quiet enough car and comfortable cruiser and 50 mpg average per tank. Great torque. Once I felt the familiar flywheel vibration on acceleration it was time to say goodbye at about 95,000 miles

My advice is steer well clear of a 01-09 VW. It wasn't my first bad experience with VW's.

If I were you I would look for a A4 B6 model. 01-05 far far better car then the Passat, same engine and I bought it with 100,000 miles and sold it at 200,000 and it was still perfect.

People think VW is the same as Audi, WRONG!

Wear on suspension components part of common maintenance on all cars. All diesels suffer a bit more so due to the additional mass of the diesel engine on the front suspension.

Your comment on Audi and VW is a load of bull. There are many numerous components shared across the VAG platform (im obviously including Skoda and Seat among them including) engines, gearboxes, suspension, sensors and numerous other components in order to keep production costs down. This is evident by comparing part numbers across the range.

Comparing a B6 A4 against a B.B5 Passat is like comparing apples and oranges. The A6 was the class competitor against the Passat and suffered many of the same problems and ailments.

I think the biggest worry now is clocked cars especially German Diesels,especially in these times. I always advice people to register your cars mileage on line so it should show up on a car check when you go to sell it.

I had a program called Vagcom and a cable I could hook up to the OBDII port and it would tell me the mileage, but I don't know if that was from the odometer or ECU ?

But the A4 is by far worth the extra few quid unless it's too small, space is a little tight.

VAGCOM (the licensed version) allows you to interrogate the cars ECU to determine what mileage the vehicle has covered independent of the odometer. Both should match approximately unless either the odometer or ECU were interfered with.

Im also interested in this online service for registering a vehicles mileage. What is stopping this self administered service being abused?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

Cheers lads. As for the Audi A4's their just out of my price range. I'v been looking at Passats at around €2,500 and the A4's are around €3,500. Otherwise prob would have gone for an A4.

Kevvv wrote: »
    Cheers lads. As for the Audi A4's their just out of my price range. I'v been looking at Passats at around €2,500 and the A4's are around €3,500. Otherwise prob would have gone for an A4.

Make sure and check the suspension out first and the drives, bring a mechanic. This car can cost a fortune when it goes wrong. The A4 is many times more reliable.

Make sure there is no vibrationof ANY kind while accelerating, it COULD be a sign of the flywheel failing and it costs a lot to fix!

Good luck anyway. :)

Advertisement