Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of putting a wider tyre on my car

Options
  • 28-06-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I've a Vectra SRi CDTI with 215/50R17 tyres which need changing and I’m thinking of replacing them with 225/45R17 (there’s a lot more choice of tyres in that size and not as costly!) – I understand that this size will go straight onto existing rims.

Has anyone that problems with doing this or should I just stay with the 215/50R17?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Try this thing:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Fairly minimal difference i reckon, shouldnt matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I've a Vectra SRi CDTI with 215/50R17 tyres which need changing and I’m thinking of replacing them with 225/45R17 (there’s a lot more choice of tyres in that size and not as costly!) – I understand that this size will go straight onto existing rims.

Has anyone that problems with doing this or should I just stay with the 215/50R17?

I replaced 185/65 for 195/60 (size 15), and no problems at all.

Not sure if there are any consequences(wear on suspension or ride quality), but it will fit no problem. Tyre shop will give you some advice, people change sizes all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wouldn't go by general answers on this, you need feedback from people that have tried the particular tyre on the particular car.

As an example, most people that run the car I just moved to fit 225/45/17s, because the factory recommended 215/45 give a terrible ride; however you have to avoid full lock or you'll catch the arches. So 10mm can make a big difference. (In fact, some people have had different results with different /brands/ of tyre, as they have differing sidewalls.)

If you don't get an answer here, there are loads of Opel/Vauxhall forums out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dahamsta wrote: »
    As an example, most people that run the car I just moved to fit 225/45/17s, because the factory recommended 215/45 give a terrible ride; however you have to avoid full lock or you'll catch the arches. So 10mm can make a big difference.

It's not that 10mm difference in width, but 9mm difference in diameter.

In OP's case tyres proposed by him are 13mm smaller in diameter, so while they surely won't touch wheel arches, but might cause other problems.

CiniO wrote: »
    It's not that 10mm difference in width, but 9mm difference in diameter.

In OP's case tyres proposed by him are 13mm smaller in diameter, so while they surely won't touch wheel arches, but might cause other problems.

What problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nobody can say for sure if the tyres you're looking at will fit ok without knowing the rim size.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

wonski wrote: »
    What problems?

That's a good question.
    Only one I can think of, is the fact that car will be lowered by about 6.5mm. It's not much, buy depending on the car, might be enough to more often touch the speed ramps, etc with underbody.

I see CiniO has replied, my advice WRT to that poster would be the same as for general advice. Ask someone else.

However for the record, the diameter will affect your speedometer. Size calculators will often be able to estimate this for you.

To reiterate, tyre width may catch your arches, but the best way to find out is to ask somewhere people have tried it.

dahamsta wrote: »
    I see CiniO has replied, my advice WRT to that poster would be the same as for general advice. Ask someone else.

However for the record, the diameter will affect your speedometer. Size calculators will often be able to estimate this for you.

To reiterate, tyre width may catch your arches, but the best way to find out is to ask somewhere people have tried it.

Speedo will be affected. I was actually asking if there is any risk of suspension wear, or any other problems that are not related to obvious things (like wheel arches/lower ground clearance etc)...
    I assume the factory size is always recommended?
    The only reason i changed mine was because the tyreshops around did not have a set in my size, checked some forums and people did the same with no issues whatsoever.
    The thing is that noone can say if it causes any damage, and what is the reason the manufacturer chooses this particular size, when few more can (allegedly) be used?

You'll get a slightly bumpier ride with the lower profile. I've run 45s in the past and found them acceptable - 40s were a nightmare - but my experience may not be the same as yours. The harsher ride may reduce suspension life a little, but I can't see it being a whole lot. That said, if you live down a cobbled lane, YMMV. :)

Factory specs are generally decided based on averages. A good example of this is remapping: engines are set up by manufacturers to handle a large variety of environments, extreme cold, heat, etc. Mild remaps "reset" the engine for a particular environment, for example a temperate climate in Ireland. The manufacture won't support it, but in many cases a mild remap will give better performance /and/ efficiency.

Tyres are a slightly different kettle of fish, but my own case above is a good example of non-standard performing a particular task better, with a slight, avoidable, side-effect.

HTH,
    Adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement