Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Cooking Club Week 8: Italian Meatballs

• 22-02-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Italian Meatballs

Ingredients
    For the meatballs
    700g pork mince
    Good handful breadcrumbs
    Salt & pepper
    ½ tsp paprika
    1 tsp Italian seasoning (or sage, oregano, basil)
    1 anchovy, very finely chopped
    Shallot or small onion, finely chopped
    1 small egg, beaten
    Flour, for coating

For the Sauce
    Clove garlic, crushed
    Tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tsp tomato puree
    1 tsp sugar
    Dash of red wine
    Salt & pepper

Method
    1. Fry the onions in a little oil until soft, then set aside to cool.

2. Place the mince in a large bowl. Add the salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and paprika to the breadcrumbs, then add to the mince and mix thoroughly with a fork. Add the fried onions and anchovy and mix again. Lastly, pour in the beaten egg and mix through again. At this stage if the mixture is very wet, add another handful of breadcrumbs. It should all stick together easily but not be too wet.

3. Shake some flour into a wide flat bowl (I use a pasta plate). Start to roll the mince in your hands, shaping into little walnut-sized balls. Drop these into the flour and shake the bowl to ensure they are all coated in flour. I got about 60 balls from my last batch! You might need to transfer half of these to another bowl once it fills up. You don't want them packed together really tightly or they will stick together. Cover with cling-film and leave in the fridge for half an hour to let them firm up.

4. In the mean time make the sauce. Add the clove of garlic to a tin of chopped tomatoes and puree the lot with a handheld blender. No hassle if you don’t have one. You can either leave the tomatoes as they are, or use 400ml of passata instead. I just like the texture of the blended, chopped ones! Stick the tomato sauce in a large saucepan and season with salt and pepper, add the tomato puree, sugar and a generous dash of red wine. Again, not necessary but adds a bit of flavour. Put it on a low heat and let it simmer while you cook the meatballs.

5. To cook the meatballs, heat some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides. They won’t cook through at this stage, but you just want them sealed. It should take about 10 minutes to get them all brown. Add them to the sauce and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally to prevent them from sticking.

6. Serve over spaghetti with parmasan cheese!

NOTES
    *This might be a little more time-consuming than most of the other recipes posted so far, but the recipe makes enough for about 4 portions, so it can be frozen or reheated the next day so I think it’s worth it :) I love cooking so never see time spent in food preparation as wasted :pac:
    *If people are worried about the anchovy, you can’t taste it specifically once the balls are cooked, but it adds flavour. I am not the kind of person who will put anchovies on her pizza, so don’t worry, they won’t be an overwhelming taste at all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

This is an old favourite in my house. Love meatballs!! I tend to add some chilli to the sauce though make it a bit spicy. I currently have a batch of meatballs in sauce in the freezer for during the week. Delish, if I say so myself.:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They're some mighty fine meatballs!

I've never cooked meatballs before and never had them out so this was totally new to me personally. I used some dried oregano and basil in the seasoning for the meat.

I'd half an onion left from the meatballs so I fried that off with the garlic and a chilli for the sauce before I blitzed it in the pot.

It was delicious and there's plenty left for a meal later in the week. Another very tastey dish with clear plates yet again.

DSC_1828.jpg

A big thanks to everyone involved so far. I know if I'm ever pondering a meal in future, a quick glance at the well maintained sticky (thanks Faith :)) will turn up some fantastic options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great recipe, thanks OP.

Can I add my tuppenceworth, or my way of doing things....lol

I never fry the meatballs off. I don't think it adds any flavour, and adds so much to the prep time.

I also use more or less the same recipe as OP, but lots more garlic and some chilli, and cumin.... ahhhhh!

I mix the flavoured breadcrumbs with the mince, and mix it thoroughly with my hands until the fat in the meat is evenly distributed. Then I leave in the fridge like OP.

I just drop the prepared meatballs in the sauce and simmer for ages. Or sometimes put them in the oven with the sauce. Minimum 1 hour, sometimes 2. The longer you leave mince dishes cooking the more tender, and all the flavours meld together.

I rarely serve them straightaway, sometimes, yes. But if you leave them in the sauce in the fridge overnight, and reheat next day they are the business.

Love this topic. Thanks for all the ideas folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Thanks for the replies!
    I also use more or less the same recipe as OP, but lots more garlic and some chilli, and cumin.... ahhhhh!

Yes, you can adapt it in a lot of ways. I tend to add chilli and garlic to everything I cook, so try to leave them out of this, as I think there are lots of flavours there anyway.
    The longer you leave mince dishes cooking the more tender, and all the flavours meld together.

Definitely a slow-burner this one :D Only improves with time.

I never fry the meatballs off. I don't think it adds any flavour, and adds so much to the prep time.

I actually do this to help speed up the cooking time! I think it works anyway. But the other reason is that my balls used to kind of disintegrate and fall apart in the sauce while simmering, so browning can help hold them together. ;) You're right though, not essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Mmm can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Hi Malari

Great recipe I thourougly enjoyed this last night. Believe it or not i had decided this week to try the Jamie Oliver ministry of food meatballs and low and behold I checked cookery club and theres one here!!

I went to Dunnes who had no minced pork so I used half extra lean minced beef and half Loughnanes sausage meat instead. I added a little garlic to the meat mixture but aside from that i followed recipe exactly.

It was beautiful and i got 5/6 portions out of it so very economical that way.

Thanks for that one....it'll be a regular in my house I'd say!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Planning on making this tonight! Really looking forward to it too. I've made meatballs in the past but always found them a little lacking. I'm hoping this recipe will fix that!

I made this last night (lol @ malari - we made each others dishes on the same night!). Anyway, they were fab! Slightly overdid it on the seasoning perhaps, but it was fine. I didn't have time to go to the shop, so I left out the anchovy and sage, but will add them the next time. I made the meatballs bigger than walnuts I'd say, but that wasn't a problem. I used Worchestershire sauce instead of red wine because I didn't have any to hand. Overall, a lovely dish indeed. Thanks!

c9687_thumb.jpg

Faith wrote: »
    I made this last night (lol @ malari - we made each others dishes on the same night!). Anyway, they were fab! Slightly overdid it on the seasoning perhaps, but it was fine. I didn't have time to go to the shop, so I left out the anchovy and sage, but will add them the next time. I made the meatballs bigger than walnuts I'd say, but that wasn't a problem. I used Worchestershire sauce instead of red wine because I didn't have any to hand. Overall, a lovely dish indeed.

Yeah I noticed that :D I never got around to doing your one last week. Worth the wait though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Meatballs were yum! Was good to use pork mince, as I feel like I'm always cooking with chicken and beef! Great recipe. Thanks Malari.

I wasn't super hungry for pasta. so I made a wrap with my meatballs - yummy!

Edited to say - if anyone could tell me how to get my photos to show in my post, would be great!

• Advertisement

Edited to say - if anyone could tell me how to get my photos to show in my post, would be great!

You need to upload your photo's to somewhere like http://wthax.org/

Click browse, find the photo and upload (click 'do it, do it now') and then copy and paste the url into your post here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You can also use the urls of the attachments in your post and then put it in image tags using this icon insertimage.gif

106180.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

this looks and sounds delish to me:D but when i mentioned it to the others at home they were sketched out about the pork mince:confused: i don't know why:confused: ive never eaten pork mince but imagine it would be nice... could i use beef or would that be wierd

You can use beef, but in my experience they tend to be very dry. The pork is much more moist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

janeybabe wrote: »
    You can also use the urls of the attachments in your post and then put it in image tags

Indeed. By far the easiest way to explain to people how to show their pictures on boards.

BTW is that parmesan on top in your picture? I'm getting hungry looking at that :D

susanroth wrote: »
    this looks and sounds delish to me:D but when i mentioned it to the others at home they were sketched out about the pork mince:confused: i don't know why:confused: ive never eaten pork mince but imagine it would be nice... could i use beef or would that be wierd

Sketched out, lol!

I think beef mince is better in dishes like bolognese or cottage pie, where there isn't one lump of mince. As Faith said, it's not as moist and the pork just has a better flavour I think.

Some people use half mince, half pork, though, so you could try that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. By far the easiest way to explain to people how to show their pictures on boards.

BTW is that parmesan on top in your picture? I'm getting hungry looking at that :D
    Probably should have mentioned that I took that picture from the person who asked how to attach photos. It looks delicious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

silly question but is pork mince the same as sausage meat?

pele10 wrote: »
    silly question but is pork mince the same as sausage meat?

Nope. The content and texture would be different.

[IMG][/img]meatballs.jpg

Hope this works?

Yes its parmsasean - love it!!
    Thanks for help with photos everyone. Usually not much of a poster, but love this forum!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Made this, was yummy! My meatballs semi fell apart though :(

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Made this, was yummy! My meatballs semi fell apart though :(

Yeah, that happened to me a few times, before I did a bit of tweaking. Definitely letting them cool in the fridge and browning them will help that, but also maybe your mince mixture needs to be a little bit wetter. Better luck next time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Recipe in the metro herald on 26/01 was for lamb meatballs which my husband made one day - incredibly light and moist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Thanks Malari. Made this at the weekend and it was gorgeous. I added a bit of chilli and put the pot in the oven for an hour or so rather than simmering. I'm doing that a lot lately - seems to intensify the flavours a lot more than simmering and it's not just because it's reduced more. Even started doing bolognese that way and it's an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Thank you for that, malari. I would never have thought of making them with pork mince.

Thanks too to irishblueangel for the idea with the wraps.

Dinner:

106764.jpg

Lunch:

106765.jpg

Mmm, the wrap idea is something I must try myself, it looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made this last night and it was seriously nice.

It took aaaaages to make, or at least it felt that way because I decided to make it quite late. I didn't read the recipe properly before I started so that didn't help either.

I used 100g of breadcrumbs which seemed to be the right amount and used some Italian Spicy Seasoning with fresh Basil. Forgot to add the Paprika even though I had some there (I blame the tiredness)

They were absolutely gorgeous though. Made 42 meatballs so dinner for tonight is sorted. :)

106800.jpg

When I make these again I'll probably add a touch of chilli to the meatballs, double up on the sauce as it reduced down quite a lot, fry the meatballs in smaller batches, and most important of all......I'll give myself a bit more time to make them. :)

Thanks Malari, great recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Thanks OP! these were really good! like some other people mine fell apart a bit:( might make them a bit bigger next time and fry a little bit more and also like another post said i will make more sauce as it didn't quite cover all the meatballs in the pan;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

nyom, I'm gonna make these tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

susanroth wrote: »
    Thanks OP! these were really good! like some other people mine fell apart a bit:( might make them a bit bigger next time and fry a little bit more and also like another post said i will make more sauce as it didn't quite cover all the meatballs in the pan;)

Here's a tip that I found stops the meatballs falling apart -

When you have all the mix in a bowl, knead it with your hands for a bit. I think it distributes the fat and makes the meat tender and less dense. Then leave them in the fridge for an hour or so, if you have time. Sometimes I don't have just put them straight into the sauce. I don't fry them off or use an egg to bind either, and that doesn't seem to affect the flavour, but they never seem to break up.

Made these again tonight Malari - yum! OH had the pasta and sauce and I had wrap with mayo, lettuce, chutney, cherry tomatoes and grated cheddar - was tasty!

Can I ask where you get the anchovy because I've looked in all my regular shops and can't find them! I look beside sardines etc..
    Thanks!

Tesco have preserved anchovies.

I bought a tin of anchovies in the same place you find sardines and that kind of thing. It was either in my local Tesco or Dunnes. They actually keep for absolutely yonks in the fridge, which is ideal because you don't use that much of them really. Be sure to cover them tightly or your fridge will start to whiff. :p

Thanks - will just keep my eyes open so! Good to know I can keep them in fridge too and they'll last.

Gonna make these again either tonight or tomorrow.
    When would be the best time to freeze the spare Meatballs? Before or after they are cooked?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gonna make these again either tonight or tomorrow.
    When would be the best time to freeze the spare Meatballs? Before or after they are cooked?

I always froze them after, when I knew what was left!! It kind of saves time too for your next meal, you can just simmer them in a pot while the pasta is cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I made a load of these so froze a couple of batches- a big one and a small one. I froze them with the tomato sauce I cooked them in too.

The small batch was great actually... had them for lunch in work, microwaved and onto a baguette with some nice cheese. Oh yeah.

Next time I'm going to freeze a few small batches :D

• I think I'm going to make these tomorrow, slightly out of sync with everyone else but I'm revising for finals! I just have a couple of questions:

Would it be OK to use beef mince? I have in the past and it was good but tended to fall apart kind of easily. Is pork mince less prone to do this (more moist perhaps)?

[quote=[Deleted User];65519641]I think I'm going to make these tomorrow, slightly out of sync with everyone else but I'm revising for finals! I just have a couple of questions:

Would it be OK to use beef mince? I have in the past and it was good but tended to fall apart kind of easily. Is pork mince less prone to do this (more moist perhaps)?[/QUOTE]

I've found pork mince to be a bit more fatty so yeah, it holds together better, but the main reason is I think it has a far superior taste to beef meatballs!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Malari wrote: »
    I've found pork mince to be a bit more fatty so yeah, it holds together better, but the main reason is I think it has a far superior taste to beef meatballs!

Ah, OK! I've seen some recipes where both beef and pork are used together, would that be weird? I'd probably be better off going with pork. I'm just wary because I don't like it much (I'm sure in this recipe, the sauce etc will overpower the flavour of the meat anyway) and for some reason the idea of pork mince puts me off but I think I will give it a go!

• Advertisement

Sure try it anyway :)

Beef and pork mix is often used, actually. I think someone mentioned it in this thread, so might be a good compromise!

I've often made them with a beef and pork mince. I used half and half, although I think my sister in law uses 2/3 beef and 1/3 pork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My way with meatballs.

No egg - a little milk, enough to moisten the breadcrumb. Work the meat, bread, milk, herbs, onions together by hand.

Important to seal in a pan.

Add some chilli to the sauce.

Cook in the oven.

Result: Tender meatballs, tasty sauce, never a broken one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I tried these for the first time last night and they were yummy! I got my butcher to mince up some pork for me, and had it with pasta last night and wraps for lunch today. Ta very much :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I know this thread is a year old but I made these two days ago and they are the best meatballs i've ever had. I have been making meatballs for years but these are tops.
    Thanks.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I know this thread is a year old but I made these two days ago and they are the best meatballs i've ever had. I have been making meatballs for years but these are tops.
    Thanks.

Aw, thanks so much! Glad people are still enjoying these :D

They're very regular in our house too, one of the favourites. They freeze very well btw.

They're very regular in our house too, one of the favourites.
    Yep, same here too. :)

They freeze very well btw.
    I normally do a huge batch with extra sauce and then freeze them into double portions. It takes ages to do but it's great when you're not in the humour to cook but still want something really nice for dinner.

Y'know, I haven't made these myself in a while. Maybe I'll whip up a batch this weekend. Inspired by replies to my own thread :o

*Goes off to search through the Cooking Club for other forgotten favourites*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

*bump*

The meatballs are simmering in the sauce at this moment; can't wait to get stuck in! These 20-ish minutes of waiting for the meat to cook through is always the longest part of the cooking period :)

I used passate for the sauce since my blenders on the fritz; I'm not sure I like the taste as much as if I'd blended choopped tomatoes. I suppose that's just another excuse to make them again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement