Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wasnt having a go at you Biko, you're a great mod, its just generally Boards policy that annoys sometimes, suppose it'd be worse if the lunatics were running wild but I do think its too strict especially in a quite little culchie board like ours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thargor wrote: »
    Wasnt having a go at you Biko, you're a great mod, its just generally Boards policy that annoys sometimes, suppose it'd be worse if the lunatics were running wild but I do think its too strict especially in a quite little culchie board like ours :D
    No doubt I'm stating the obvious but if you've a problem with a post, thread or forum or whatever, contact the mods or cat mods of that forum and let them know. There's no point giving out about it in a post which may never get read by someone who can do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Heading to Galway today for the weekend so can you please recommend a sports bar/decent pub to watch the soccer and rugby tomorrow? City centre preferable.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

What team do you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Fagans Sports Bar in Eyre Square....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

The living room in Galway used to be a brilliant spot for football matches, remember watching the United Chelsea Champions League final there good times :D, change of ownership has turned it into a more traditional pub no TV in sight there now :eek:. Fagans Bar is the best place to go alright, have matches available for 3D so id recommend there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

jonnygiles wrote: »
    The living room in Galway used to be a brilliant spot for football matches, remember watching the United Chelsea Champions League final there good times :D, change of ownership has turned it into a more traditional pub no TV in sight there now :eek:. Fagans Bar is the best place to go alright, have matches available for 3D so id recommend there

Kellys didn't change ownership before it changed...The owner changed it and then was killed in a car accident. I do believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Kellys didn't change ownership before it changed...The owner changed it and then was killed in a car accident. I do believe.

Yup 100% right, David Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Monroes is good for the football, Salt House around the corner for the rugby.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do Kellys not have TV's anymore? the last time I watched a match in there they had 4 tv's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tonc76 wrote: »
    Heading to Galway today for the weekend so can you please recommend a sports bar/decent pub to watch the soccer and rugby tomorrow? City centre preferable.

Thanks

Rugby: the Salthouse.

(I've no idea if they have a TV or not, but it's always better to hang out with winners ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Will give Monroe's and the Salt House a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Mactard wrote: »
    Do Kellys not have TV's anymore? the last time I watched a match in there they had 4 tv's

Haven't been in there in a while but I'm pretty sure they do still have TVs and show matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

KevR wrote: »
    Haven't been in there in a while but I'm pretty sure they do still have TVs and show matches

Yep they do, they have a big screen both up and downstairs for matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Kellys have two big screens downstairs and the usual TVs up behind the bars. Now and again for really big games they open upstairs as well which has a massive screen up on the stage. Was in for the Rugby yesterday, place was full and there was a great atmosphere despite the result...
    Hard to beat O'Connells for the rugby as well but it's always a bit uncomfortably packed and always feels like you are blocking someones view of the screen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Just wondering can anyone reccomend the best place in town to watch Utd/Chelsea? Is there any "United pubs" as such?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Kelly's is the United pub in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Fibber Magees is the pub where the supporters club go as far as I know.

They have free finger food at half time, all pints €3.50 during the game too! Big screen upstairs and altogether about 6 plasmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Fagan's

Plenty of TV's

will be in 3D too

finger food at half time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

So atmosphere wise where would ye reccomend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sligovec

A Sligonian going to be in Galway this week looking for a pub in Galway that will be showing the Sligo Rovers European Tie. A select few in Sligo are, so just chancing my arm. Cheers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

sligovec wrote: »
    A Sligonian going to be in Galway this week looking for a pub in Galway that will be showing the Sligo Rovers European Tie. A select few in Sligo are, so just chancing my arm. Cheers;)

I'm sure if you go into fagans in eyre square they will have it on. They are a bit of a sports bar and have plenty of TVs around the place so could always throw it on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Is the game on rte,tv3 or setanta. If it is you should be able to find a pub showing it no problem. If it's on foreign satellite it would be pretty difficult I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Where is a good place to watch the Arsenal v Liverpool match on tv this Saturday? The match kicks off around noon I think. Any good pubs that maybe serve food as well as showing the match? I don't care much for drinking, I just wanna watch the footy. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

always think kings head is a good spot, big screen and the pints and food are good to :)

Yeah the Kings Head is a great spot to watch matches in if you don't mind trying to dodge the soup n' sandwiches crowd, surly and inept bar staff, uncomfortable seats and missing part of the match if there is a band on before or after the game. Oh and watch out for the aforementioned band setting their stuff up during the game. I always enjoy that part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Malice wrote: »
    Yeah the Kings Head is a great spot to watch matches in if you don't mind trying to dodge the soup n' sandwiches crowd, surly and inept bar staff, uncomfortable seats and missing part of the match if there is a band on before or after the game. Oh and watch out for the aforementioned band setting their stuff up during the game. I always enjoy that part.
    They have started doing lunch time music have they?? :rolleyes:

I'd say Dew Drop or An Tobar if you didnt need food, Front Door if you get a good seat or Skeff as they show them in 3d if thats your cup of tea.

be a good bacd to be setting up at 1pm on a Saturday, talk about a Victor Meldrew, I suppose you watch your matches in the G? Kings head has a good atmosphere, barring that try Fagans, comfy seats and half time finger food

They have started doing lunch time music have they?? :rolleyes:
    What's with the rolling eyes? I didn't mention what the pub has or hasn't started doing and neither did I mention lunch times.

• Advertisement

Considering the poster was looking to know where to watch the Arsenal Liverpool game this saturday at noon, I doubt a band setting up will come into the equation

What's with the rolling eyes? I didn't mention what the pub has or hasn't started doing and neither did I mention lunch times.
    If you took care to read what you were replying to you would understand the rolling eyes.

If you took care to read what you were replying to you would understand the rolling eyes.
    Interesting logic you have there. A poster recommends the Kings Head, I disagree with them and you respond with a question about lunchtime music which wasn't mentioned in my post or the one I was responding to. When queried on this your response is that I should take care to read what I respond to.

Interesting logic you have there. A poster recommends the Kings Head, I disagree with them and you respond with a question about lunchtime music which wasn't mentioned in my post or the one I was responding to. When queried on this your response is that I should take care to read what I respond to.
    Straightforward logic really, you responded to the poster who asked for somewhere to watch the LUNCHTIME match with a rant stating they should watch out for bands starting up, now its clear to more than me so far that bands dont start at lunchtime so therefore you will now understand the sarcastic rolling of the eyes. Again its pretty straightforward.

Back on topic for the OP, id agree on Fagans too.

Straightforward logic really, you responded to the poster who asked for somewhere to watch the LUNCHTIME match
    Putting things in bold and capitals isn't going to escape the fact that I responded to this post which, as I've already pointed out didn't contain a reference to lunch time. Should I put what I'm writing in bold to aid your understanding or is my repeating myself enough?
    with a rant
    If you seriously think my post a rant you'd better stay out of this forum :).
    stating they should watch out for bands starting up, now its clear to more than me so far that bands dont start at lunchtime
    I haven't been into the Kings Head in a few years but I definitely had the dubious pleasure of trying to see the big screen through people setting up or taking down gear in the past at lunch time on weekends. If the management have come to their senses with that aspect then good for them. If I'm allowed mention it (as ben.schlomo appears fixated on lunch time) the band setup thing might also be a factor during Champions League nights.

Putting things in bold and capitals isn't going to escape the fact that I responded to this post which, as I've already pointed out didn't contain a reference to lunch time. Should I put what I'm writing in bold to aid your understanding or is my repeating myself enough?

If you seriously think my post a rant you'd better stay out of this forum :).

I haven't been into the Kings Head in a few years but I definitely had the dubious pleasure of trying to see the big screen through people setting up or taking down gear in the past at lunch time on weekends. If the management have come to their senses with that aspect then good for them. If I'm allowed mention it (as ben.schlomo appears fixated on lunch time) the band setup thing might also be a factor during Champions League nights.
    You really dont understand my first post at all do you? When i said 'they have started doing music at lunchtime now have they', that was sarcasm. Again the original question was about a lunchtime football match, and to the best of my knowledge ive never seen a band at any time bar night, hence why i rolled my eyes at your post which said 'mind the bands setting up etc'. Thats it nothing more and nothing less.

• Advertisement

You really dont understand my first post at all do you? When i said 'they have started doing music at lunchtime now have they', that was sarcasm. Again the original question was about a lunchtime football match, and to the best of my knowledge ive never seen a band at any time bar night, hence why i rolled my eyes at your post which said 'mind the bands setting up etc'. Thats it nothing more and nothing less.
    Are you actually reading what I post in this thread at all? You persist with the "you don't understand" line when you yourself have repeatedly decided my post referred to something which I made no mention of. Looks to me like you tried a smart, point-scoring post which fell flat.

Are you actually reading what I post in this thread at all? You persist with the "you don't understand" line when you yourself have repeatedly decided my post referred to something which I made no mention of. Looks to me like you tried a smart, point-scoring post which fell flat.
    Yeah i missed those points alright, damn. Clearly no point debating the issue with you as you are intent on deflecting from the truth. Im over it anywho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic, soccer pubs.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Dewdrop Inn or Monroe's are usually a good bet. I'd say Monroe's for the atmosphere, Dewdrop Inn when you want to feel like you're in your living room. Oh, and the Dewdrop has HDTV.

malice - the problem here seems to stem with the original post being merged with this larger thread. The poster asked where the best place to be to watch the liverpool arsenal game on lunchtime on saturday. I said kings head, you said no not kings head, bands setting up etc etc. Clearly bands setting up wouldnt be a problem for a game kicking off at this time. PErhaps this is where the confusion lies, I can see where ben schlomo is coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

alimegs wrote: »
    malice - the problem here seems to stem with the original post being merged with this larger thread. The poster asked where the best place to be to watch the liverpool arsenal game on lunchtime on saturday. I said kings head, you said no not kings head, bands setting up etc etc. Clearly bands setting up wouldnt be a problem for a game kicking off at this time. PErhaps this is where the confusion lies, I can see where ben schlomo is coming from.

alimegs, I have to say I agree with Malice's original post (in response to yours). I used to watch matches in the Kings head, so I know exactly the point being made. Malice was pointing out that his experience with the Kings head has turned him off.

Having had:
    the commentary turned off for extra time in a CL semi final
    put up with the generally ignorant attitude of the staff (especially annoying when asking them if they're putting on a match that they have advertised asked 5 minutes before kick off)
    not being able to hear the commentary for the sake of the lunch crowd
    not being able to get a drink or a seat because of the lunch crowd

I stopped darkening their doorway several years ago.

That's not mentioning the fact that they closed the pub for renovations at the time of the 2005 CL final (after the crowd they had in there for the semi they could've sold tickets).

alimegs wrote: »
    There's no confusion (at least not on my part). I wouldn't recommend the Kings Head to watch matches in at any time of day, simple as that :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Nugget89

What pub would show the Shamrock Rovers game tonight?? It's on Setanta Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Best place to watch the Ireland game tonight with about 10+ people? Preferably with food. Want to avoid King's Head and The Skeff, but probably not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Jim wrote: »
    Best place to watch the Ireland game tonight with about 10+ people? Preferably with food. Want to avoid King's Head and The Skeff, but probably not going to happen.
    Kellys & Buskers do food I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Foxs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

I always go to ti coili when there is a match on

Kellys, Buskers and Spanish Arch maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

The Dail bar used to be a good spot for matches but they've changed the layout there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I'm in Birmingham for the night, any recommendations of where to watch the Ireland game tonight ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement