Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for Ireland to open its borders to Nigerians!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

K-9 wrote: »
    Visa's doesn't stop it either. USA being an example.

Mastercard is better anyway.

"If only everything in life was like the the Irish asylum seeker process"
    Having everything handed to you at the expense of the taxpayer of your new home: Priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

I for one welcome our new Nigerian masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Having everything handed to you at the expense of the taxpayer of your new home: Priceless

Advertising and the Meejia has a lot to answer for. Makes a lot of people very gullible. If somebody tells Joe Duffy its true, well it's true.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

Without even reading this thread, i just say no.

We are already EXTREMELY uncomfortable with the mixes of people coming over, most of which we dont associate with outside of a work situation.

And no, i dont care about what it would or wouldnt do for the economy or the nations image. America tells these people to f-off at their borders and it is no coincidence that this is the most successful country out there.

Sorry if that sounds bad, but im not one to hold back on what i believe in

What the hell are you talking about you absolute tosser.

Thats a ****ing disgrace and **** this country if so. Ok if you have job concerns then strict immigration is logical but this kind of post is pathetic. What age are you? Whats your view on the 150,000 British immigrants? :mad:

America tells what people to 'f-off at their borders', illegals, the same illegals who will probably get amnesty within the next while(maby)

the 50,000 irish who are illegal in the usa have a lobby group which is funded by our goverment.

Whats your view on the 150,000 British immigrants? :mad:
    Most Brits here would be of Irish descent anyway, wouldn't they?

• Advertisement

America tells these people to f-off at their borders and it is no coincidence that this is the most successful country out there.

Yep, this is true. :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But they're Brits? No?

Very possible most would be but I'd say a fair proportion are not, however its really irrelevant, its still 150,000 and a fair chunk of that number would be out there competitng for jobs.

Now of course the argument could be well we have a very high number of Irish born in the UK so we owe them but sure then I can use the argument of Irelands history of emmigration as a reason why we should have a very liberal immigration policy.

Even if they weren't of Irish descent, we have far more in common with the Brits in terms of ease of integration (language, history, cultural practices) than any other immigrant group.

Now of course the argument could be well we have a very high number of Irish born in the UK so we owe them but sure then I can use the argument of Irelands history of emmigration as a reason why we should have a very liberal immigration policy.
    Emigration to vastly larger countries where they primarily already had the language, over many centuries. In terms of numbers, they were like a drop in the ocean. Immigration from countries with over 100 million inhabitants into a predominantly homogenous country of 4 million in the space of 8 years is not, and never will be, feasible.
    You can already see in the pressure put upon the education (all-black school in Balbriggan) and healthcare systems that an even more lax immigration policy would essentially be suicide for this country.
    It's time to stabilize things now and stop encouraging further non-EU immigration.

• Advertisement

Even if they weren't of Irish descent, we have far more in common with the Brits in terms of ease of integration (language, history, cultural practices) than any other immigrant group.

And look what we got in return.

800 years!

And look what we got in return.

800 years!
    "We'll show them P.J... We'll see how smart they are when we build everything for them" :D

LOL no they didn't. The first Irish emmigrants were poor and could not speak English.

There is about 19,000 Nigerians in Ireland(the whole of Ireland with all its space), the number is basically a drop in the ocean.

The only countries we've had mass immigration from are from fellow European countries(UK and Poland) we have a very tight outside EU immigration policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

What the hell are you talking about you absolute tosser.

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Nigeria props up Ireland a fair bit with all the Guinness they drink, let em in sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

LOL no they didn't. The first Irish emmigrants were poor and could not speak English.

There is about 19,000 Nigerians in Ireland(the whole of Ireland with all its space), the number is basically a drop in the ocean.

The only countries we've had mass immigration from are from fellow European countries(UK and Poland) we have a very tight outside EU immigration policy.

The CSO claims there are only 28,000 Nigerians in Ireland. The figure is likely to be twice that at least.

The same CSO who claims there are more Germans here than Chinese and only 63,000 Polish here. How they are still in a job I will never know.

Yeah, the same tight immigration policy that saw our population jump by 10% in under 5 years.
    And the first Irish emigrants were treated worse than the Roma are today

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Nigeria props up Ireland a fair bit with all the Guinness they drink, let em in sure!

A Nigerian lad I worked with used to swalloy the stuff like it was going out of brew. He told me that in Nigeria it is served by the bottle and taken with a splash of Coke Cola as it is 12% volume. To do with the climate he said.

I went on a session with him once. Never again. I can hold my ale fairly well and I kept up with him pint for pint. We must have had a dozen pints or so over a three hour period, a few small ones too. The missus says I came home bouncing off walls, stripped bollox naked and preceded to fall alseep under the bed.:o

They drink more Guinness in Nigeria than anywhere else in the world.:eek:

PaulieD wrote: »
    A Nigerian lad I worked with used to swalloy the stuff like it was going out of brew. He told me that in Nigeria it is served by the bottle and taken with a splash of Coke Cola as it is 12% volume. To do with the climate he said.

I went on a session with him once. Never again. I can hold my ale fairly well and I kept up with him pint for pint. We must have had a dozen pints or so over a three hour period, a few small ones too. The missus says I came home bouncing off walls, stripped bollox naked and preceded to fall alseep under the bed.:o

The largest Guinness brewery in the world is in Nigeria.

The Census would have higher figures than that. The CSO is based on the information supplied as indeed is the Census.

The Irish where treated badly at first, probably because they mainly behaved badly at first. The "Drunken, fighting Irish" stereotype came from some truth I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

The Census would have higher figures than that. The CSO is based on the information supplied as indeed is the Census.

The Irish where treated badly at first, probably because they mainly behaved badly at first. The "Drunken, fighting Irish" stereotype came from some truth I'm afraid.
    Same as the "scheming, fraudster Nigerians" stereotype? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dr.Kema Chikwe can gtfo...

Where are all these nigerians going to be employed? Oh I know, more irish will join the dole queues while the foreigners get the jobs. Typical.

How many super values, spars, petrol stations do you know that are manned by irish people? And don't give me the "irish are too proud to work them jobs", because that is complete and utter bullsh!t...

I FOR ONE SUPPORT THE SPREAD OF aids

WHITE PEOPLE DONT GET IT YOU KNOW and if you somehow happen to it can be easily walked off,dont worry :)

Oh dear

I FOR ONE SUPPORT THE SPREAD OF aids

WHITE PEOPLE DONT GET IT YOU KNOW and if you somehow happen to it can be easily walked off,dont worry :)

On the beve where we? Maith an fearr.:p

Same as the "scheming, fraudster Nigerians" stereotype? ;)

Exactly, except for the 150 years bit.

We had a chance to correct the stereotype, some chose to correct it, some not (see AH and myself).

At least we had 150 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

Where are all these nigerians going to be employed? Oh I know, more irish will join the dole queues while the foreigners get the jobs. Typical.

How many super values, spars, petrol stations do you know that are manned by irish people? And don't give me the "irish are too proud to work them jobs", because that is complete and utter bullsh!t...

good god i want to meet you and buy you a pint wait no a house. The nail has been firmly hit on the head. I mean smashed the poor nail never stood a chance. PM me for your house

I luv Ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Nah, it couldn't be 12% is it ? The foreign extra which is about 7% I think is what they sell in Nigeria.

• Advertisement

man i love this country what started as a political debate has went into questioning the alcohol volumes in other countries.

God bless Ireland man am i proud right now

there is genuinely no sarcasm there

On the beve where we? Maith an fearr.:p

bhí mé ar an beer go raibh maith agat a chara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

bhí mé ar an beer go raibh maith agat a chara

Well sleep it off then and quit trolling.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Nah, it couldn't be 12% is it ? The foreign extra which is about 7% I think is what they sell in Nigeria.

Thats what he told me, I would well believe the chap. As someone already said, they brew Guinness in Nigeria so it would be different volume. Well able for the stuff they are.

I was in work the next day at 3pm, he was finishing up. I met him outside the locker room a minute or so after I finished spewing my guts up in the jacks. He was planning on going for a liquid lunch after working an eight hour shift.

"Did you get any sleep last night man"? "Nah jiggy jiggy man". "Fooook me", says I, "and you are going for more beves?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

nice who wants nice how about one working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i dont see how this is a good idea to open its boarders or whatever its called to nigerians, look at the stats

population of ireland 4million
    population of nigeria 160million

how on earth is this country going to survive with loads of nigerians entering the country where there is no jobs at all..

there are only 38million people in poland compared to 160million in nigeria and look how many poles there are in the country, if the nigerians come in we would be a minority, there are so many people in that country that would do anything to live in a richer country and start over..this would be their oppertunity..big mistake is all i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I am curious how does that help Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Yes there is nice Nigerians and bad Nigerians, I firmly believe that the good Nigerians should be given equal opportunity and the bad ones have no place here

Who are the bad ones ? The ones that are claiming every thing under the sun they can here in Ireland ? The ones that are going around uninsured, unlicenced on our roads like the one on the traffic core programme last night ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Who are the bad ones ? The ones that are claiming every thing under the sun they can here in Ireland ? The ones that are going around uninsured, unlicenced on our roads like the one on the traffic core programme last night ??

Yeah, it reminds me of the 95% of travelers giving the other 5% a bad name. But you cannot (not allowed) to say that about Nigerians ......... yet. Undoubtabably, there are a few good ones but they are far and few between.

I figure that it might take Ireland another few years to catch on to what's really going on with these new Irish. Hint: Take a look at other countries and wonder why we will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobblehead

NONONONONONO!!! Don't do it!! The only people who seek asylum are those who can afford to leave their country and therefore don't really NEED asylum (they're already well off). So, they come to another country seeking asylum, have tons of children, live off welfare..and they will get welfare becuse they can't get jobs any easier than the rest of us, you're crazy if you think otherwise....eventually, because the state is paying for these "underpriveleged people", your welfare benefits will become more difficult to get, until eventually you can't get them at all because the standards have raised and you're not a minority. It happend in the U.S. it will happen here. They'll be driving around in their new cars, buying all kinds of luxuries off the money the government gives them, living rent free in the best houses, and where will you be? A country in high debt and poverty levels because it caters to those heart wrenching sob stories and not to its own. Please, there are people in your own country that need help. Help them first. If you do let anyone in make sure they're gonna work and be honest..not "seek asylem".

• Advertisement

Well you can't be sure he was Nigerian. But still, the 'vendetta' he felt the Garda had against him; how predictable :rolleyes:

bobblehead wrote: »
    NONONONONONO!!! Don't do it!! The only people who seek asylum are those who can afford to leave their country and therefore don't really NEED asylum (they're already well off). So, they come to another country seeking asylum, have tons of children, live off welfare..and they will get welfare becuse they can't get jobs any easier than the rest of us, you're crazy if you think otherwise....eventually, because the state is paying for these "underpriveleged people", your welfare benefits will become more difficult to get, until eventually you can't get them at all because the standards have raised and you're not a minority. It happend in the U.S. it will happen here. They'll be driving around in their new cars, buying all kinds of luxuries off the money the government gives them, living rent free in the best houses, and where will you be? A country in high debt and poverty levels because it caters to those heart wrenching sob stories and not to its own. Please, there are people in your own country that need help. Help them first. If you do let anyone in make sure they're gonna work and be honest..not "seek asylem".
    In saying that, the govt is obliged to take in asylum seekers; but really they should be from countries such as Iraq, Sudan, The Congo... you know, countries where there actually IS a war to flee from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know all the foreigners that used to work in this town are gone. I suppose there was a case of local favoritism when it came time to let people go but there's defiantly less foreigners around out here in the country. :(

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know all the foreigners that used to work in this town are gone. I suppose there was a case of local favoritism when it came time to let people go but there's defiantly less foreigners around out here in the country. :(

Yet 35,000 PPS numbers where issued to foreigners for the first five months of the year. 80,000 foreigners on the dole, yep all going home alright.:rolleyes:

Maybe they left your wee town and moved to another town, just a taught.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yet 35,000 PPS numbers where issued to foreigners for the first five months of the year. 80,000 foreigners on the dole, yep all going home alright.:rolleyes:

Maybe they left your wee town and moved to another town, just a taught.;)
    They probably have moved to the cities alright. right now locals are helping locals and you need to have transport to get anything done so the countryside don't suit them anymore.

Well you can't be sure he was Nigerian. But still, the 'vendetta' he felt the Garda had against him; how predictable :rolleyes:

Ah the good oul race card, available in every colour except white.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Its never going to happen....Irish people won't stand for it and patience are strained enough as it is. The Government would be on a suciidal mission to allow this to happen and God knows what "small print" the Lisbon treaty is going to hold!

And me personally, no thank you for an influx of Nigerians in to the country. We've experienced it with eastern europeans and the back lash has started. Its not a race issue and the first people that usually claim it as such, are the immigrants if they don't get what they want and not neccesarily need. At least the polish are damn hard workers and they actually work and contribute to society. Ireland is many years behind the rest of the world in relation to the acceptance of a multi cultural society. Dublin has no choice in the matter but in the rest of the country, well....you know the story.

Alot of cultures moving to ireland are "offended" because of certain morals the Irish hold and our hesitation in embracing new cultures. Ireland should not change because then we will lose our identity and eventually become a minority ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Out of curiosity, would I be right in assuming that all the Nigerians that are here already will be staying i.e either have or will be granted citizenship ?

Out of curiosity, would I be right in assuming that all the Nigerians that are here already will be staying i.e either have or will be granted citizenship ?
    Well I'm guessing a sizeable proportion here got citizenship through that (completely braindead) IBC law, others probably got UK/French/Spanish passports and are here as EU citizens and then there are lots who are having children here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Degsy wrote: »
    Why nigeria?
    If we're going to open our borders it should be to people that everybody doesnt hate.
    Speak for yourself Degsy. And that's not a very reasonable comment is it? I mean, if someone made a similar remark in relation to the Irish, would you deem it fair?

Oh wait... many HAVE made similar remarks in relation to the Irish...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement