Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

say thanks to your bus driver

Options
  • 13-04-2009 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Well do you?

It seems to be the done thing on Dublin Bus

But I don't remember it happening on Bus Eireann Galway.
    And I certainly don't remember it on inter city coaches from Galway, Limerick or Belfast.

But Dublin Bus drivers get thanks
    So do you thank your driver as you are getting off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Yeah just to be courteous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sure, manners cost nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yeah, I find it utterly daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

99.9% of people do on my bus routes in cork :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yeah whenever I am getting off I say thanks but I am not sure if all the wimminz appreciate it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I used to, but that was a long time ago when peasants used to doff cap to their betters.

Do omnibuses still have conductors these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't know why people find it so weird?!!! They wonder why it's done as the driver is doing what he's paid to do, but sure when you get your change back from someone working in a shop, you thank them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

yes mostly i do unless they were rude or something - at the end of the day its nice to be nice -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Alwas do but would give them a lot more thanks if they would drop me off at my doorstep.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I used to, but that was a long time ago when peasants used to doff cap to their betters.

Do omnibuses still have conductors these days?

Upon first taking an omnibus I asked the conductor to make sure it dropped me at my address but the rude fellow simply refused-since then I've had Jeeves bring me everywhere in the motor-car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Always, costs nothing.

'Never look down on a man unless your helping him up' and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Got a bus into town the other night.
    Was getting off and said thanks.
    No problem, bud was the reply from the black driver.
    Proper Dublin accent too.
    I'd say the poor ****er gets a lot of grief until he opens his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Terry wrote: »

I've a mate, black as my ex-mother in laws heart who speaks with a Dublin accent - its hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Of course, they do a great job and I have a chat with most of them since I use the service most days. Sometimes it can make someones day to be more than just civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I'd always say thanks unless the driver is crap i.e. he brakes suddenly and makes me spill my early morning Lucozade on the crotch of my jeans so it looks like I came blood. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah most of time. just cos everyone else does though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Sure do even though most of em never acknowledge that ya did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Always say thanks. I'd feel a bit rude if I didn't tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Terry wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ya do know fcuker and ni**er have the same amount of letters. What where you calling him a poor fcuker or the other lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

i do but then i say thanks to inanimate objects - ticket machines and such like.

I feel like a right dork saying thanks to barrier for opening after putting ticket into exit machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    i do but then i say thanks to inanimate objects - ticket machines and such like.

I feel like a right dork saying thanks to barrier for opening after putting ticket into exit machine.
    Every morning i go outside and lie on my driveway kissing it and thanking it for holding my bike for me.

Nearly always unless the driver has been a prick to me, which has happened on the odd occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I have much experience on both Dublin and Bus Eireann bus's. 99.99% of the time I thank the Dublin Bus driver but Bus Eireann is a different kettle of badgers.

You can come across some real hardcore cun7s on them bus's and I have. Some not letting me bring my backpack on (put it in the hold), some resembling the Spanish inquisition in relation to a perfectly valid college ID. To put a percentile on it I'd say 89.99% of Bus Eireann drivers are spot on but all I can say is thank Volkswagon I have a car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

yeah tend to say "sound" when disembarking the bus alright.. sure manners cost nothing, but I also find it retarded. I say it regardless. But thankfully I am rarely forced to get the bus these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Depends what the driver is like when i get on! If i see a smile or get a thanks for paying in i will say thanks getting off bus.
    But as usually happens i get a grunt or a "here lets see that" as yet again my totally valid ticket starts beeping in the machine and i get a dirty look while reluctently they know my ticket is ok. In their case no i won't thank them never!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Citizen

The driver usually thanks me for stopping the scumbags from taking over the bus. I reply with a polite nod.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,849 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sure good manners are a reflex.
    The driver usually thanks me for stopping the scumbags from taking over the bus. I reply with a polite nod.

:D nice to see you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

thats why id rather walk... or drive... i don't mind traffic or anything like that,

ill hurry up and wait. :)

Advertisement