Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 10 inch out there?

Options
  • 27-12-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Jokes aside. Which would be the best price/performance 10inch tablet in the market?

I was in one of the shops today and I found 7inch to way way to small, where's 10inch tablet was perfect size. Though that particular Samsung tablet felt extremely laggy, butmaybe that was just display model which got a lot of abuse.

My main usage would be PDF files viewing, pictures, web browsing, YouTube.
    I know nexus 10 sounds really good on paper, but I am not sure on price and the whole anal probing parcel motel ordering method.
    So anything to look forward in 10inch category lads? Thanks in advance for all help.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's your max budget? If the Nexus 10 is at or above the upper limit you'll have to rule out contenders like the Asus Transformer Infinity and the Samsung Note 10".

I've never seen one live but the Toshiba AT300 has excellent-looking specs at a very competitive price. I would have suggested the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (also very good value with Samsung cashback) running with a custom launcher but if you weren't taken with it, maybe avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What's your max budget? If the Nexus 10 is at or above the upper limit you'll have to rule out contenders like the Asus Transformer Infinity and the Samsung Note 10".

I've never seen one live but the Toshiba AT300 has excellent-looking specs at a very competitive price. I would have suggested the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (also very good value with Samsung cashback) running with a custom launcher but if you weren't taken with it, maybe avoid.

budget would be max 350eu. i know its not much, but hey, still something.

its not that i was not taken by it, it just felt sluggish as hell. first thing that poped in my head, that it had like 12314324000 apps running in the background, or it is just fudged from loal public. the UI and screen looked quite lovely.

is there something on out soon too? or just some good deals on something old?

what about this bad boy? looks like a nice deal for 290eu?

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

Nexus 10. Don't go near the Infinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you viewed any pdf files on a 10" Android tablet yet ShadowHearth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I have to say im really happy with my tab2. Not as good as a note but really nice and much more affordable.

54kroc wrote: »
    Have you viewed any pdf files on a 10" Android tablet yet ShadowHearth?

no m8. i onlt had few minutes of checking out in the shop. it was crapy shop and i more wanted to see the size 7inch vs 10inch.

why you ask? is there something i should know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Just my opinion and I'm not trying to start an apple vs android debate.....but
    for PDF viewing I think the iPad is a much better option.
    PDF's are just not as nice, as fluid or as pleasant to use on an Android tablet as they are on an iPad.
    I'd definitely try out a few first if I were you.

54kroc wrote: »
    Just my opinion and I'm not trying to start an apple vs android debate.....but
    for PDF viewing I think the iPad is a much better option.
    PDF's are just not as nice, as fluid or as pleasant to use on an Android tablet as they are on an iPad.
    I'd definitely try out a few first if I were you.

thank you. i sort of want to move away from apple products. my 3gs iphone should be my last apple product in house hold, plus i dont think i can afford even a case for ipad for 350eu!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

When looking for the parents didn't think the 9" lennovo ideapad was too bad for 250 bucks, maybe not as bright as the tab 2 but seemed a bit snappier to use. Worth strolling into Currys to play around with one i think.

Got them a note in the end mind, but we were splitting the cost 5 ways

• Advertisement

Sony Tablet S is on your budget and is a really good tablet. My son has had it for several months and it is great.

marco_polo wrote: »
    When looking for the parents didn't think the 9" lennovo ideapad was too bad for 250 bucks, maybe not as bright as the tab 2 but seemed a bit snappier to use. Worth strolling into Currys to play around with one i think.

Got them a note in the end mind, but we were splitting the cost 5 ways

that is one busy tablet! :pac::P

pc world/currys got quite a nice selection now, no? plus i would be able to play around with the thing?

i wonder does pcworld works on tuesday 1st january? misses and me are both off that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure if the Chinese tablet would suit you but it got a pretty decent specs

http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v972-quad-core-9-7-inch-retina-screen-daul-camera-android-tablet-pc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How about a cube u30gt

Sorry, Chinese would not be my cup of tea. I am not snob, I know about 1440p monitors from Korea for 300eu. I know there are good products, but I won't be gambling this time.

U30gt? Never heard of it.

Anyway, what about that zoom 2? 280eu looks like a bargain. Plus it has 5mp cera with flash. I do quite a few pictures and my 2mbit non flash camera on phone is tits :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I have the Cube U30GT Mini ( 7 inch) Got it on aliexpress from China for 150 including a 16GB SD card(16GB Built in + 16GB SD card) DHL Shipping and customs. I put on a custom ROM on it and its unbelievably quick.

Here's a link to the big brother and its the seller I used, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-Free-Shipping-10-IPS-Capacitive-Cube-U30GT-RK3066-Android-4-0-Dual-Core-tablet-PC/566884016.html

Plenty videos on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Sony Tablet S is on your budget and is a really good tablet. My son has had it for several months and it is great.

I agree with the Sony Tablet S, it sometimes gets overlooked but I picked one up second hand a few months ago and I must say I have been delighted with it.

So shameless bump.

Today misses walked in to my office and rudly interrupted my slaughtering of demons in Diablo 3 game...
    I was pushing tablet idea for weeks and she was meh, now she came in and so admit would be a great addition. Oh the irony :D.

So budget is 300eu for 10inch tablet. Anything new came out or something old dropped in price?
    So far I am really stuck on that Motorola zoom 2 on pixmania. Sounds like a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Asus transformer TF 300 is €359 delivered. And its one of the best tablets available.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Asus transformer TF 300 is €359 delivered. And its one of the best tablets available.

From? I need to look more closely in to it as it is over budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

From? I need to look more closely in to it as it is over budget.

Sorry, mean to say its from Pixmania.ie

I have the Transformer TF201 and its great.

IMO don't try save 50 quid by getting an inferior device as you'll be kicking yourself six months later that for 30c a day you could have had something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

IMO don't try save 50 quid by getting an inferior device as you'll be kicking yourself six months later that for 30c a day you could have had something better.

Totally agree with this, you'll always wish you got the better option. Best thing to look for is a tablet with great support, either by the company themselves or in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Have you thought about the nexus 10? I have a 7 and it's a great device. I know it's more expensive but it's quality.

well, i checked review and it looks good. I might look like an tight ass here, but 359eu is a bit on a high budget for me. Was planin that 300eu would be max.

Solution? get one more wages in. Ill show it to misses and see what will she think of it. Its a shame that camera has no flash on it. I could really use camera.

so all in all pixmania is the cheapest? i really really hate those guys...

I'm looking at the Galaxy Tab 2 for €299 on Amazon.fr if that's an option. It's from a third-party seller who ships all over Europe. Personally, I'd get it directly from Amazon if possible for peace of mind. Samsung were offering 50 euros cashback as recently as last month but I'm not sure if that still applies.

Also, Toshiba have slashed the price of their AT300 to £229 (amazon uk) and it's got impressive specs. Downside is it seems unpopular so community support might be thin on the ground.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-10-1-inch-Tablet-nVIDIA-Android/dp/B0088MPV06/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1358343109&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

Komplettt have the great looking Yarvik TAB10-201 Xenta 10" Tablet for €229 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/tablets/80009856/yarvik_10_xenta_16gb/details.aspx

Right, first of all thank you to everyone who gave me a hand in this thread. All of you were very helpful and informative.
    Now I think I will piss you off a bit... I just came back from Cork. I picked up nexus 7. :D
    Listen me out! Please! No rocks!

Me and misses got in to PC world in Maham point and we started checking out all of the tablets out there. For our surprise 7inch tablet was a lot bigger then what we sow in other shop weeks ago. Maybe it looked so small in the shop counter glass display? Anyway, we played around with all 10 and 7 inch tablets. To our surprise 7inch was a lot nicer and was a lot better to hold in hand. Size perfect for the browsing and watching YouTube.

Out of all 7inch nexus was just the best thing out of all of them. When I asked for one, I was told they were out of stock... Fuuuuuuu! Called Harvey Normans and all out of stock! Fuuuuu!
    So while we were having our lunch I checked argos online and they had it in stock. 5 minutes later we were in argos and happy owners of nexus 7.

So all in all. I would highly recommend anyone who is planing on buying a tablet is to go to nearest big shop and have a feel for it ( even if you will buy it online ).

Thanks everybody! Great help like always!

Right, first of all thank you to everyone who gave me a hand in this thread. All of you were very helpful and informative.
    Now I think I will piss you off a bit... I just came back from Cork. I picked up nexus 7. :D
    Listen me out! Please! No rocks!

You realise everyone is now thinking that your girlfriend's first words in PC World were 'so that's what 7 inches actually feels like'? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement