Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Find me a fun car

2»

Comments

Maybe I did something wrong. I'll try again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Try Chill.ie too.
    They were handy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

From just looking at the title without reading the thread, an MR2 was the first car into my mind, followed by an MX5.

Both are great fun to drive, you shouldn't have any problems getting insured on either, and they won't cost a whole lot to run.

If you really want to live on the wildside, why not buy a dedicated track car, and spend the money you have aside for insurance and tax on some tuition on track.......that'll really be something to remember for the rest of your days!

If you really want to live on the wildside, why not buy a dedicated track car, and spend the money you have aside for insurance and tax on some tuition on track.......that'll really be something to remember for the rest of your days!

This interests me greatly. Where would I even start?

Buy preformance car on it's last legs, strip out everything that isn't needed, add roll cage, bucket seats and harnesses, enjoy. :)

For a start anyway.

Go and do a school day in Mondello to see if it would really be something you'd like before you commit to it. They don't cost a whole lot, and are good craic anyway.

If you do like it......go and find a car!! Many people will argue over what is the best type of track car. In your position, I'd be looking for performance and reliability, which most likely means it will be Japanese. I dare suggest a Honda incase Lightning comes in here and starts moaning about it, but it's probably your best option.

Track prepared cars often pop up on Donedeal in the rally section, you'd probably even buy a proper race car for your budget. After that, your only real costs will be tyres and some service items.

Once you have a car, track days are fairly common occurances in Mondello, and Kirkistown up north.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Buy preformance car on it's last legs, strip out everything that isn't needed, add roll cage, bucket seats and harnesses, enjoy. :)

For a start anyway.

Doesn't have to be on it's last legs, that would probably only add to costs later down the line. Shouldnt be a problem picking up a decent motor with that budget!

Doesn't have to be on it's last legs, that would probably only add to costs later down the line. Shouldnt be a problem picking up a decent motor with that budget!

I only said last legs because I hate seeing clean cars getting stripped when there's cars with solid engines and shoddy body work that would be perfect for a track car.
    I guess I should have specified.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/rallycars/3557407

And here we go.......

Something else maybe to consider is a trailer, if you're going for something as mad as this. It is also possible to have a track car that is possible to drive to and from the track.

• Advertisement

I'd go with the trailer.
    That way you can have unlimited mods and racing slicks. If you're going to go mad, you might as well go all the way mad. :)

I'd go with the trailer.
    That way you can have unlimited mods and racing slicks. If you're going to go mad, you might as well go all the way mad. :)

The only problem is having something to pull it with.

The only problem is having something to pull it with.

She's got a diesel, which one I don't know but she could be alright. :P
    What'cha got?

Oh wow I'll be honest lads, this has me fairly excited, driving a rally car has been on my bucket list for quite a while, I just really didn't know how to start off, at all. With a big birthday coming up I'm sure someone would like to buy me a day at mondello.....

*phones mammy*

She's got a diesel, which one I don't know but she could be alright. :P
    What'cha got?

Saab 9-3.

Saab 9-3.

1.9?
    Looks like plenty of pulling power there.

Have to budget in €1k-€1.5k for a trailer.

• Advertisement

Sorry yeh 1.9 :)

1.9?
    Looks like plenty of pulling power there.

Have to budget in €1k-€1.5k for a trailer.

Should be possible to get a trailer sub 1k. Don't forget this is only for a year (so far!) so if you start spending big money on a trailer, it would nearly be cheaper to pay someone with a transporter to drop and collect.

Ah, I forgot it was only for a year.
    Still, if you're not paying T/I every year that gets easier.

It's so easy to spend someone else's money! :pac:

Ah yes, the year thing was before, things are different now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Twin-go wrote: »

Close but no Cigar

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=109527

You need the GTV which was actually built by Alfa :)
    One of these with a service history gives little trouble,

Heres a retro top gear clip

• Advertisement

Not the most inspiring review.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

OP if insurance is an issue, buy a car that is 15 years old or more. If you do that then campion insurance will insure it as a classic for very little!! I looked into doing the same a while back with a dc2 but going to hold off until next year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

egan007 wrote: »
    Close but no Cigar

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=109527

You need the GTV which was actually built by Alfa :)
    One of these with a service history gives little trouble,

The 3.2L GTV and GT have the same Busso V6 engine. The cars themselves might have assembled in different plants, but post Fiat takeover, so not sure what 'built by Alfa' means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not the most inspiring review.

Wouldn't sell me on it. Any car that does nothing but give you miles of understeer would be right off my list. Looking and sounding pretty is all very well, but driving like a christmas pudding is right out.
    You'd be better off with a Focus ST. Foci can be prodded into getting their arse out at least.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You'd be better off with a Focus ST. Foci can be prodded into getting their arse out at least.:cool:

Apples and oranges to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

smash wrote: »
    Apples and oranges to be honest.

Yes of course. Just saying that it doesn't matter what it is, if it's no good, it's no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yes of course. Just saying that it doesn't matter what it is, if it's no good, it's no good.

It is good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

RX8 would be a good choice....not that I'm biased or trying to sell one or anything...

Viper_JB wrote: »
    RX8 would be a good choice....not that I'm biased or trying to sell one or anything...

I'll give you 4 grand for it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'll give you 4 grand for it :p

Heh....darn :( MR2 it is so, I used to drive a MR2 turbo, very fun fast car, like driving a go cart. Could be worth looking at some EVO's or Impreza's if you can find one that doesn't look like someone drove through halfords with a big electro magnet they're very fun cars to drive.

Advertisement