Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another pesky car suggestions thread!

Options
  • 29-06-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I am looking at changing cars and have a feeling that I will need a bit of time to find what I am looking for, but wouldn't mind a few suggestions, there may be stuff that I am not thinking of:

The three main critera are:
    - estate
    - auto
    - diesel

Would also be a bonus if it was something that drives well. Currently driving an e46 320i saloon.

My problem is finding this combination in Ireland has proven to be a pain and I am not sure that importing will see any savings just perhaps give me a better selection. About 3 years ago I was looking for something similar but 'settled' for the 320i :D. When I was looking then I was likes at the likes of V50, A4, 156/159, 3 series in manual and they were hard enough to come by except for 1.6 A4s :rolleyes: or 1.9 A4 rocket ships (not sure I could handle the power).

So any suggestions? As for budget I would like to keep it under 10k (ideally 7 - 8k)...

Thanks!

btw reason for estate is not coz its a nappy wagon, its just coz I tend to carry stuff about (kayaks, bikes etc...) and it would be handier to be able to put them into (as opposed to onto) the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

159 Ti Sportswagon?

Will almost certainly require a visit to the UK though.

eFRlUjBJV0xPa3cx_o.jpg
    5054424367_bc368dc22d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Would you be willing to go older? Maybe a W124 Mercedes estate? They are bomb proof and they can very easily be gotten in leather, automatic and diesel. My dad had one and did 350000 miles in it before he sold it.We used it for kayaks. He bought a newer one straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

GavMan wrote: »
    159 Ti Sportswagon?

Will almost certainly require a visit to the UK though.

Very nice - what is the auto box in these like? I heard it was awful in the 156..

The other thing about these is they didn't come with roof rails as stock (Italians and their clean lines) so would have to find one with roof rails & auto! But if the auto box is ok then its on the list for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Chavways wrote: »
    Would you be willing to go older? Maybe a W124 Mercedes estate? They are bomb proof and they can very easily be gotten in leather, automatic and diesel. My dad had one and did 350000 miles in it before he sold it.We used it for kayaks. He bought a newer one straight away.

Great suggestion, great car but too old from the POV of safety - would like 4 star safety..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Very nice - what is the auto box in these like? I heard it was awful in the 156..

The other thing about these is they didn't come with roof rails as stock (Italians and their clean lines) so would have to find one with roof rails & auto! But if the auto box is ok then its on the list for sure...

Honest John (from what I can tell) and Parkers report no autobox issues.

There shouldn't be any issue retro fitting roof rails from Halfords, etc.

They are a real peach though. Check out AlfaOwner.com's 159 Technical Forum for more Info on them

A lot of car for money involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement