Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are people who moved to australia for the year raging now

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

asdasd wrote: »
    I know this wasnt addressed to me, but what I - someone who doesnt get the Australian thing - can show is time working in the US, Germany, and am now in England. I acutally got tired of the West Coast of the US after a while, but Europe would take a lifetime to explore.

The thing about Australia is it is English speaking, Pretty much an Anglo culture ( as is ireland), and - well - hot. Thats it. There is more difference within Europe.

You went far in distance, but not culturally, Germany, France and Italy are more different o Ireland. And better culture. After Sydney ( which is not London, Paris, Barcellona, edinburgh etc.) what? There are countless gems of villages, and small cities across Europe. And you can ski in Europe.

The weather in Ireland rarely bothers me, I have plans to go back this w/e and agreed to go golfing. I would be surprised if that has to be called off, after all I can golf ( and run, and cycle) in drizzle, showers, or light rain. And I am expecting none of that.

So I am all for travel. But I dont get Australia. Certainly not for a year of your life.

Australia isnt about culture. Its about nature. Its equivalent to Canada in that. You dont go to see churches and man made stuff, you go to experience hard core nature. The stuff that doesnt give a crap whether you exist and will treat you as such. You screw up in it and you die.
    Fine, all you girly men sit in safe Ireland. We dont want you anyway. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Fine, all you girly men sit in safe Ireland. We dont want you anyway.

it's crocodile Dundee!!!

Fair dues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I know this wasnt addressed to me, but...

Your right, it wasn't addressed to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jumpy wrote: »
    Australia isnt about culture. Its about nature. Its equivalent to Canada in that. You dont go to see churches and man made stuff, you go to experience hard core nature. The stuff that doesnt give a crap whether you exist and will treat you as such. You screw up in it and you die.
    Fine, all you girly men sit in safe Ireland. We dont want you anyway. :rolleyes:

Do you seriously believe that's the motivation behind the average Irish person who goes to Australia? To find themselves in the Outback on some kind of spiritual journey? They don't I've been there myself and it's just an extended summer piss-up which could be taking place in any summer resort.

Think you got the first line right thought, there's more culture in a yoghurt than Australia.

You are probably right.

We lock them in the Coogee Bay Hotel so they can stay the hell out of our way.
    The less irish making it to decent places like the Shire and the 'Gong the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

What else? The "bush". A barbecue. After visiting the Sydney Opera house what is left to do?

The fact most nightclubs play decent dance music?
    Cheap cost of living?
    Good weather?
    The stunning looking multinational mix of women you see in Sydney? Nearly every girl is worth a look.

What do we have in Ireland? Sh1t clubs, rip off culture, generally sh1t summers, a multicultural country where apart from our small handful of Brazillians alot of the foreign women are a bit rough? Bollocks to it all, Im never going back.

Australia isnt perfect. You cant buy a 5 pack of socks. Underpants are expensive. Most of their pizza is terrible. They dont know how to make a proper quarter pounder with cheese. Bondi Beach is a bit underwhelming when you finally arrive there, and is a pain in the arse to get to and from without a car. No garlic and cheese fry. Theyre generally chronically racist (except against the Irish). Generally though, I dont ever want to go home permanently, unless greed unholds itself from Ireland.

Oh and lastly, I didnt go to Australia to travel or to "find myself". I came to work and to be able to comfortably afford to go drinking whenever I wanted in a good climate.
    I never got the whole Irish student fascination with Australia. Especially when the people that go there, usually go in groups, drink and work in Irish bars, associate and mix with only Irish people and generally spend the year getting pissed with sun-burnt Irish people in a slightlier warmer climate.

Simple fact is, a bigger proportion of Irish and English are more craic. Dont get me wrong, Ive met loads of mad sound as a pound Germans and French, but Ive also met too many who will go out on a hostel night for their 2 free beers, drink them and leave by midnight, or who will stay in 6 nights a week taking a week to drink a 4 litre bag of goon wine. Just not the same as Irish and English nutjobs. On the continent the Dutch are probably closest to us in terms of craic and mindset. S Americans are pretty up for the sesh and all.

shane86 wrote: »

Australia isnt perfect. You cant buy a 5 pack of socks.

Its because not too many of us lose our legs. Oh it happens alright. But we usually just throw the extra sock away. Or keep it as a spare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Simple fact is, a bigger proportion of Irish and English are more craic.

There's also a lot of Irish in, you know, Ireland.

I've heard the same applies to England and English people strangely enough.

There's also a lot of Irish in, you know, Ireland.

*shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spylon

Firstly, and to respond to the question, I doubt very much if people who moved to Australia for the year are raging now. I'd say they're very content, regardless of weather. I haven't been, but everyone who goes seems to have a great time - whether getting wasted at beach parties or traveling around on their own, or both.

Secondly, to suggest that travel in the cultured metropolises of Europe is somehow more worthy, worthwhile, or admirable than travel in Australia is elitist nonsense. Every country, including Australia, has more interesting places than could be visited by one person in an entire lifetime. Nor should people be dismissive of the fact that its an English-speaking country, and the benefits this brings; learning foreign languages is great and worthy and all, but there's potentially a lot more "culture" to be learned by having a fluent conversation with a local shopkeeper in your mother-tongue, than there is by mangling a few sentences from a French pocket phrase-book in the Louvre. Working in Germany is fantastic; but I would argue that you're likely to learn just as much about the world by spending a year playing pool and drinking. It all depends on how you approach it.

Finally, I don't think people should be so readily dismissive of others who don't share their need to "travel" - there are lots of other ways to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

..with the absolutely terrific summer we are having here.

What country are you posting from? I would hardly call a couple of sunny days but mostly overcast, drizzly or thunderstorms a terrific summer.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

What country are you posting from? I would hardly call a couple of sunny days but mostly overcast, drizzly or thunderstorms a terrific summer.... :)

Shhhhh ......humour him.

Greatest summer ever !!!

This sort of reminds me of all of the excitement/national pride that happens during many of the past Olympics. This small country stands out in a particular event and then thumbs it's nose to world about it's greatness.

......and then you find out that Ginger and the horse were completely locked on performance enhancing drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Wtf!?Id pick Oz over here Any day!,And OP its actually winter over there right now.

Brrrrrr. IM freezing in this 18 degrees middle of winter weather here in Melbourne right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

You cant buy a 5 pack of socks.

You take that back!

I bought a 5 pack of socks in Coles last week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Brrrrrr. IM freezing in this 18 degrees middle of winter weather here in Melbourne right now.

Pffttt. I can beat that!
    Its gets bloody cold in Auckland. Middle of winter its hits a low of maybe 4-5c :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

^ we get our lows at night, but it's still quite manageable by the time the sun resurfaces.

Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    9°C 10°C 10°C 12°C 10°C

1°C 2°C 2°C 1°C 2°C

only a little way over from oz here in nz... and man, this is awesome! was still surfing last weekend, and shall be going skiing/snowboarding in a week or so (when i get some money together)...

i remember last summer, when i often had to work outside in the winter... would take a good hour and half to get to work by 7.30am, absolutely bloody freezing, icy cold cold cold... but by mid day, it was about 16 degrees, i'd be down to my tshirt and perfectly warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

no pants :/

oh christ. working with kids... i had my pants on, i ****ing swear!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Australia was a bridge too dumb for me TBH. Was there a year. Found the job, the kick ass apartment and all of that, getting paid well, living up in the middle of Melbourne. Never ever got into it. The night scene in Melbourne is crap / dangerous / oh look you've passed out in front of a bank again. The activities side of things is good if you like sharing a dorm room with a horny man-sized poisonous spider. The beer's piss, the wimmenfolk more agressive than the men, tv is awful and culture actually does equal Priscilla queen of the desert the musical.
    Just to provide the ould counterpoint for those folks who aren't sun worshippers. There really is not that much to the place. It's kinda like Dublin on steroids. I guess that might be why so many Irish people go there. It's far away without offering anything much in the way of cultural differences. There's rarely a time since coming back that when things are going bad I don't think "Well at least I am not in ****ing Australia."

Australia was a bridge too dumb for me TBH. Was there a year. Found the job, the kick ass apartment and all of that, getting paid well, living up in the middle of Melbourne. Never ever got into it. The night scene in Melbourne is crap / dangerous / oh look you've passed out in front of a bank again. The activities side of things is good if you like sharing a dorm room with a horny man-sized poisonous spider. The beer's piss, the wimmenfolk more agressive than the men, tv is awful and culture actually does equal Priscilla queen of the desert the musical.
    Just to provide the ould counterpoint for those folks who aren't sun worshippers. There really is not that much to the place. It's kinda like Dublin on steroids. I guess that might be why so many Irish people go there. It's far away without offering anything much in the way of cultural differences. There's rarely a time since coming back that when things are going bad I don't think "Well at least I am not in ****ing Australia."

i feel the same way about sydney.

i loved melbourne though... maybe it's the crowd i hung with there, but it felt very very different to both home, and christchurch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i thought Melbourne was great, a lot more variety than Dublin, more stuff going on, more stuff to do, friendly people, so many amazing restaurants and different quarters in town. Dublin seems tiny and boring compared to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

You're assuming that's a good winter. It isnt. A good winter is hoar frost, cold nights, snowy mountain tops, guinness by the fire in the local pub. I couldnt even imagine an australian Christmas. All wrong!!!

As for Summer, its not hot today, it is overcast, but it is not raining.

I'll have a barbecue. What's to stop me ( except finding barbecues relatively dull forms of entertainment).

Advertisement