Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two-state solution

Options
  • 23-06-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Being AH and all, I thought I'd propose a tongue-in-cheek solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and I hope to hear some of your views thereon.

Given that:
    (I) the numerous faiths that hold Jerusalem as a holy site hold no claim stronger than word handed down through generations and theological scripture (all of which, in my humble opinion, is weightless and obsolete in today's world)
    and
    (II) that some of the most celebrated holy sites in major religions are merely metaphysical (eg. the Garden of Eden)
    would
    evacuating and obliterating Jerusalem bring any sort of closure to this seemingly endless saga?
    Each side would have a holy land that went before them, but whose history had taught a valuable lesson to all. Sure, holy sites would be lost, but the conflict would be resolved and there'd be no more repression and killing caused by a sliver of land which has caused more problems than it has solved.

Both States Must Be Real
    This is the article that inspired this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What in the name of Jehovah are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

What in the name of Jehovah are you on about?

nuking-lots and lots of nuking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Well, I don't know, maybe evacuating and obliterating was a bit of a heavy handed wording of my idea. Perhaps it could become an exclave shared between and administrated by the seats of the major faiths laying claim to it. At least then it would remain a tourist attraction, albeit sterile and no longer a capital for either Israel or Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

upmeath wrote: »
    Well, I don't know, maybe evacuating and obliterating was a bit of a heavy handed wording of my idea. Perhaps it could become an exclave shared between and administrated by the seats of the major faiths laying claim to it. At least then it would remain a tourist attraction, albeit sterile and no longer a capital for either Israel or Palestine.

A tourist attraction, like The Cliffs of Moher?

but if people can return it will be worshipped even if it is barren.... MAD is the only way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

oisinmc14 wrote: »
    but if people can return it will be worshipped even if it is barren.... MAD is the only way

Unless we nuke it and then build a 'peace barrier' around it to keep everyone out.

A tourist attraction, like The Cliffs of Moher?

Exactly, with a man shouting "JERUSALEM!!!" on 7UP Free ads. That sort of attraction. Nah I mean a sterile attraction like Venice, with nothing remaining of the city's previous incarnation bar the buildings, just a cash cow. It could be the Las Vegas of religion, a big earner and a big employer, but null and void of character.
    oisinmc14 wrote:
    MAD is the only way
    MAD?

Morlar wrote: »
    'peace barrier'

is that what they call radiation these days?

MAD IS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction

is that what they call radiation these days?

Actually the peace barrier is islam and judaism now that I think about it.

Another option would be to turn the whole thing into a reality tv show. Give them each a big stick, sit back and film the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

upmeath wrote: »
    Being AH and all, I thought I'd propose a tongue-in-cheek solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and I hope to hear some of your views thereon.

Given that:
    (I) the numerous faiths that hold Jerusalem as a holy site hold no claim stronger than word handed down through generations and theological scripture (all of which, in my humble opinion, is weightless and obsolete in today's world)
    and
    (II) that some of the most celebrated holy sites in major religions are merely metaphysical (eg. the Garden of Eden)
    would
    evacuating and obliterating Jerusalem bring any sort of closure to this seemingly endless saga?
    Each side would have a holy land that went before them, but whose history had taught a valuable lesson to all. Sure, holy sites would be lost, but the conflict would be resolved and there'd be no more repression and killing caused by a sliver of land which has caused more problems than it has solved.

Both States Must Be Real
    This is the article that inspired this thread.

The two oldest ones who are based on the same religion and were there from the start, anyone else deserves none of Jerusalem.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    Actually the peace barrier is islam and judaism now that I think about it.

Another option would be to turn the whole thing into a reality tv show. Give them each a big stick, sit back and film the fun.

What would we call it?

Names, we need names

What would we call it?

Names, we need names

' Wackagmole' no wait thats Golem isnt it. Ummm . .. .

The two oldest ones who are based on the same religion and were there from the start, anyone else deserves none of Jerusalem.

Sorry, Cardinal Brady... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Don't worry , the lovely Israel Defence Force ( :rolleyes: ) , will continue the murder and eviction of innocent men , women & children. Until they have all the fertile land under their control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

What would we call it?

Names, we need names

Well we could call it I-Slam-a-Jew, but that would necessitate inter-faith wrestling.. the PC brigade would be all over that one

:D

Advertisement