Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That time of year!

• 03-07-2006 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Isn't it great that we have almost two months of school-run free motoring?

:D

Greystones to Merrion Square this morning took only 39 minutes (and no speed limits broken).

How are others' commutes affected?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Left the house 10 minutes late this morning and was still in on time. 15 minutes across Galway from Barna to the Ballybane Road. I pass by 3 secondary and 2 primary schools on the way in so it makes a fair difference alright given that all kids must be four-wheel-driven right up to, and over, the kerbstones of the school these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Leixlip to Fitzwilliam square in 45 mins - incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

Swords to Clontarf - 20/25 min :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Greystones to Merrion Square this morning took only 39 minutes (and no speed limits broken).
    Greystones to Pearse St by DART is 50 minutes by train throughout the year. 6 trains arrive in Pearse before 9am.
    tom dunne wrote:
    Leixlip to Fitzwilliam square in 45 mins - incredible.
    About 35 mins from Leixlip (Confey) to Pearse St by train. It's a reliable service and, those boarding at Leixlip (Confey or Louisa Bridge) would get seats, unlike us at Coolmine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The main differences with your train comparisons is that you most likley have to add another 10 minutes on either side, getting to the train and from train to office.

The car is most likely door to door.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    The main differences with your train comparisons is that you most likley have to add another 10 minutes on either side, getting to the train and from train to office.

The car is most likely door to door.
    Of course. Two of the posts mentions points on train lines where a change of train was not necessary. They seem like prime candidates to use public transport. Obviously PT isn't suitable for everyone but sometimes people don't realise that it is a viable option.
    I will admit that trains (at least the ones I get - Coolmine-Clontarf Rd) too 'suffer' during term time. I'm not sure which is worse then: the extra bodies or the annoying chatter from them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

daymobrew wrote:
    Greystones to Pearse St by DART is 50 minutes by train throughout the year. 6 trains arrive in Pearse before 9am.

About 35 mins from Leixlip (Confey) to Pearse St by train. It's a reliable service and, those boarding at Leixlip (Confey or Louisa Bridge) would get seats, unlike us at Coolmine.
    Greystones to Merrion Sq rarely takes more than an hour, not subject to timetables, plus as my wife and I both work in the vacinity, it's more convenient.

As Bluetonic correctly guessed, my trip is door to door.

I would say, having used the train for a year, that the occasions where I have taken more than an hour to get to work by car are greatly outnumbered by the number of times I've been delayed by train failures or other causes.

Add to that, the cramped uncomfortable carriages, jostling for space or even just to board a train from the city (in particular when there's a match in Lansdowne Road), some commuters' failure to respect their fellow travellers or many other factors I've not bothered to mention, I think I'll stick to my comfortable, warm, reliable car.

Another great benefit is not being tied to a timetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

time to introduce BIK on city-centre parking spaces? considering the price of on-street parking it is a major perk if your company provides it for free.

it would take a govt with big cojones to do it though, there'd be war if it didn't apply to civil servants too...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I would say, having used the train for a year, that the occasions where I have taken more than an hour to get to work by car are greatly outnumbered by the number of times I've been delayed by train failures or other causes.

Add to that, the cramped uncomfortable carriages, jostling for space or even just to board a train from the city (in particular when there's a match in Lansdowne Road), some commuters' failure to respect their fellow travellers or many other factors I've not bothered to mention, I think I'll stick to my comfortable, warm, reliable car.

Another great benefit is not being tied to a timetable.

That is a very good post.

That is exactly why any rail service needs to be frequent, comfortable, on time and significantly faster and more convenient then by car, if you want to attract people out of cars.

This is why I believe the WRC is likely a waste of time and money (slower then by car) and intercity routes like Dublin to Cork need to improve (speed wise) in order to compete with the new motorways being built.

That is not any disrespect to rail, rail can be done very well (just look at London underground), I'm just saying it needs to be done properly if it is to be successful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

loyatemu wrote:
    time to introduce BIK on city-centre parking spaces? considering the price of on-street parking it is a major perk if your company provides it for free.

Great Irish solution. instead why not fight for improved rail services so that it is more attractive to leave the car at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭halkar

30 minutes of extra sleep for me. As happy as pig in ****e:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

loyatemu wrote:

it would take a govt with big cojones to do it though, there'd be war if it didn't apply to civil servants too...
    The traditional joke about this is that the Revenue never consider/suggest BIK on parking spaces as it directly affects themselves.

Greystones to Merrion Sq rarely takes more than an hour, not subject to timetables, plus as my wife and I both work in the vacinity, it's more convenient.
    It's good to read that you are carpooling. There are so many single occupant vehicles out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

daymobrew wrote:
    It's good to read that you are carpooling. There are so many single occupant vehicles out there.

I wouldn't call it carpooling, but we do sometimes give lifts to a neighbour if we're all leaving at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

loyatemu wrote:

This is what is known as a stick approach, it is cheap and it is nasty and redolent of general public policy in this country, also known as going for the low hanging fruit.

Sort out public transport first - and how that will be done is discussed on many threads started by Transport21Fan - that is a carrot approach and it works.

Currently public transport in this city is a) hell and b) hellishly oversubscribed and c) while I'm at it, too expensive.

Fix it first before you start yammering about making life hell for drivers. It's already hell. Making it more hell is idiocy as long as public transport is still very problematic.

Advertisement