Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone paid a bribe to pass a Driving test?

Options
  • 30-06-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

I assume this is rare enough but I know someone who though a mechanic who knows everyone paid a couple of hundred quid to pass the test, it was one of the dublin centres and the test guy was an ex cop no less.
    Nothing was said during the test about the money, but my friend said it was definetly not a normal testing situation, as the the guy was shooting the breeze with my friend.

To be honest it pissed me off but wouldn't want to get my friend in trouble by reporting it, this was around 2001 btw.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

silverharp wrote:
    I know someone who though a mechanic who knows everyone

Sounds like pure fact to me alright.

Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

silverharp wrote:
    I know someone who though a mechanic who knows everyone paid a couple of hundred quid to pass the test
    *cough*horsemanure*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silverharp wrote:
    I assume this is rare enough but I know someone who though a mechanic who knows everyone paid a couple of hundred quid to pass the test,QUOTE]

God bless your innocence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's definitely something which is done (as I know people who've done it), but I would say the testers in question keep themselves very quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Diaspora

I was once offered a full drivers licence via someone who had a contact in the issuing office for €375 but declined for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the problem is if that guy gets caught he will shop everyone he helped to get a lighter sentence and they will look at everyone on his testing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah, you're better off actually learning to drive.

I thought this was a load of made-up **** when I read the initial post. If it was happening, I'd be more worried about the guy failing everyone who chooses not to give him a bribe. After all, the test isn't hugely difficult. It would make much more sense to just go for it and try and pass on your own merit than paying several hundred euro.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a scam relating to driving tests operating in Dublin back in the mid 1980s. A gentleman used to claim "Pass your test for £100 - no quibble money back garantee". When people contacted him he used to claim that he worked in the Driving Test section and knew many of the testers and they would be looked after. He could reassure them that they could get their money back if, for some reason it was not successful - it was a "win-win" situation.

Of course he didn't work or know anyone at the test centres. He did know however that 50% of people were going to get their test anyway - he merely refunded the remainder telling each unsuccessful candidate that there must have been some sort of communication breakdown for their test, apologised profusely to them and refunded them their £100 (lot of money then).

He automatically made 50% of all the money he took in.

Haha, clever bastard :)

Some people are just so stupid that they deserve to be conned.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Diaspora

Almost as good as the guy in the 1960's who sold a car to 20 odd people for £400 when it was worth £600 he took deposits of between £50-100 each and couldn't be touched by the police until he sold it as he hadn't until that point commited an offence (the law has since changed) he never sold it but fled the country with over £1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I see anything with so much as a whiff of dodgyness on this thread, there will be multiple site bannings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I paid someone to ensure I passed my driving test... a driving instructor. Cost less than £100 as well.

Why is it some people will put more money and effort into trying to scam the system rather than just doing things correctly?

The driving test really isn't that hard.

There was a scam relating to driving tests operating in Dublin back in the mid 1980s. A gentleman used to claim "Pass your test for £100 - no quibble money back garantee". When people contacted him he used to claim that he worked in the Driving Test section and knew many of the testers and they would be looked after. He could reassure them that they could get their money back if, for some reason it was not successful - it was a "win-win" situation.

Of course he didn't work or know anyone at the test centres. He did know however that 50% of people were going to get their test anyway - he merely refunded the remainder telling each unsuccessful candidate that there must have been some sort of communication breakdown for their test, apologised profusely to them and refunded them their £100 (lot of money then).

He automatically made 50% of all the money he took in.

LOL at that guy. Scamming stupid people, a victimless crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

well, at least there is some back for what I said, I only had a sample of one, so thought I would throw it out there, am I surprised, I guess not, any situation where you have an inefficient system and a public official who has the power of ye or nay leaves it's self open to abuse. Despite the well thought out "horsemanure" comments at the start, it wasn't a friend of a friend or a story I picked up in a pub, anyway take it or leave it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Stark wrote:
    After all, the test isn't hugely difficult.

Yeah, it is so easy that over 54% of the people that sit it fail. Piece of pi$$.:D

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

John R wrote:
    I paid someone to ensure I passed my driving test... a driving instructor. Cost less than £100 as well.

well said that man...the only way to learn to drive CORRECTLY is from a professional......teaching yourself or getting your ma to do it, is the quick way to learn bad habits......lane discipline and good manners are sadly lacking in this country, not to mention common sense......

MrPudding wrote:
    Yeah, it is so easy that over 54% of the people that sit it fail. Piece of pi$$.:D

MrP

Yeah but they usually pass it the second time. At €38 a test, it's a lot better value than bribing someone.

Some people never pass it, but they're the really **** drivers. I mean I know of one woman who keeps failing her test because she gets stuck on the roundabout and circles it about 20 times during the test. Wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

:D well if i fail it i might give it a try... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Diaspora wrote:
    I was once offered a full drivers licence via someone who had a contact in the issuing office for €375 but declined for obvious reasons.

Me too.

Advertisement