Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options
  • 04-12-2013 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Edit by mod:
    See mod warning in post #434 before posting
    /mod

The viewships for for the three shows prior to the Toy Show were 511k, 537k, 542k.

To my mind, what's stark about these numbers is the context: consistently, 400k plus tune-in to Reeling in the Years, Room to Improve, and Winning Streak (for the week ending 24th, Novemeber, Wednesday's Fair City had 544k viewers!). That demonstrates that there is a mass of viewers who will watch anything (one imagines they are primarily middle-aged/elderly). Therefore, only about a quarter of the viewers of RTE's flagship show are unique.

Unfortunately, I can't get historical viewing figures. But these articles seem to suggest that audience numbers are greatly down on previous years: 1; 2; 3 - average of 850k in Spring '11; 650k tune-in to first show of Autumn '11; 630k watch show in Spring of '13.

Obviously, changing TV habits, etc, are likely responsible for some of the reduction. But, unquestionably, the LLS under Ryan Tubridy has become more celebrity-plugging-book dominated, with reduced current affairs debate and discussion. In changing approach in this way, LLS has become almost identical to the celebrity chat-fest traditionally aired on Saturday nights, now hosted by Brendan O'Connor. This has lead to the two shows competing for guests.

So, what should be done? In my opinion: two hours is almost certainly too long - it should be shortened; Tubridy is a poor broadcaster and fails to conduct either serious or light interviews with ease - even Miriam O'Callaghan would be better; freshen the format - more stand-up comedy slots, shorter interviews, less celebrity. In trying to attract the younger viewer, LLS is competing with Channel 4 and BBC, and should, therefore, attempt to differentiate itself.

Until the LLS drops below 400k, it won't (and shouldn't) be scrapped. My title refers to whether its identity - "the show the nation watches" - can be maintained. There's no doubt that the show is a perfect platform for certain things - the conclusion of the Ireland's Greatest competition; Eurovision entry selection; Toy Show. It's whether the week-to-week programmes can retain viewers' interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To my mind, what's stark about these numbers is the context: consistently, 400k plus tune-in to Reeling in the Years, Room to Improve, and Winning Streak (for the week ending 24th, Novemeber, Wednesday's Fair City had 544k viewers!). That demonstrates that there is a mass of viewers who will watch anything
    That's a pretty big jump you're making there, and fairly insulting to a lot of people. Just because these aren't programmes you may enjoy, doesn't mean they aren't popular.

Winning Streak I find to be a godawful piece of cringe TV, but some people watch it religiously. I mean, "Get the dinner made or we'll miss Winning Streak", religious. These aren't people who are watching these shows in the absence of something to do, this is a hardcore fanbase who don't miss them. The power of that fanbase can't be written off as "just some aul wans".

I do agree with the rest of your post though, that they should look at doing something with the format. It's not really the LLS's fault that it's become a platform for book-pluggers. That's the nature of the format. Back in the 70s and 80s, there were less channels, less talk shows, so the likes of Billy Connolly were more than happy to come onto a show, talk crap for an hour and have a bit of a laugh, and get some national exposure. If you were releasing a book you would go on Parkie, Gaybo, a few radio shows and you've got 99% coverage of the British Isles.

Now, however you have far more channels and talk shows, many with much bigger viewerships (think Graham Norton), such that an invite to the LLS is no longer a prestige event for a celebrity, rather another media request where they get to demand an appearance fee, or plug their latest book/film/pet project. In order to get good coverage, they have to run a talk show circuit of 30 or 40 different interviews in various regions.
    The international spread of media also creates more markets to play in, further limiting time and requiring people to be picky.

Maybe the answer is to focus on current events more, bring in smaller local celebrities like Christy Moore or Glen Hansard who might not have the appeal of Colin Farrell, but will be happy to come and just have a chat and a laugh without trying to plug anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It really should be shortened but it won't be as every ad break during the LLS is worth more than a break during whatever would take its place either before or more likely after a shorter show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

seamus wrote: »
    That's a pretty big jump you're making there, and fairly insulting to a lot of people. Just because these aren't programmes you may enjoy, doesn't mean they aren't popular.

Winning Streak I find to be a godawful piece of cringe TV, but some people watch it religiously. I mean, "Get the dinner made or we'll miss Winning Streak", religious. These aren't people who are watching these shows in the absence of something to do, this is a hardcore fanbase who don't miss them. The power of that fanbase can't be written off as "just some aul wans".

I don't think it is insulting: I listen to Radio 4 religiously, regardless of what is on. I agree that I've made an assumption. But, I would be quite confident that a sizeable number of the viewers of those programmes also watch the LLS.

I'm sure the "hardcore fanbase" you mention exists, but not in the numbers that you imply. Eight o'clock on a Saturday is prime-time viewing, and is likely to attract casual viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There was a time the LLS mattered and there would be discussions about it all the following week. Scandalous (by 1980's Irish standards) stuff.
    Those days are well and truely gone and they aint coming back, even if we cloned Gaybo, it's just a different world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

They just need someone who is interesting, interested and with a sense of humour presenting the show.

Everyone has an interesting story to tell but Ryan does not seem to be able to draw it out in his guests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

even Miriam O'Callaghan would be better;

No, she wouldn't. She genuinely wouldn't.

The Late Late Show has actually been relatively good over the last few months. And Tubridy has been doing a pretty good job. He seems a lot more relaxed. Just look through the recent LLS threads on here and you'll see a lot less criticism and a lot more praise than in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Certainly should be at least 30 minutes shorter.

It also shouldn't be live, recording on a Thursday or even a Friday evening would certainly reduce the cringe factor and awkwardness that LLS with Ryan Tubridy often suffers from. Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross and Jay Leno all have better, tighter programs.

Finally, they need to become less reliant on interviewing RTE personalities about their RTE product.

RayM wrote: »
    No, she wouldn't. She genuinely wouldn't.

Trust me, I am more than happy to stand corrected on that claim!

Finally, they need to become less reliant on interviewing RTE personalities about their RTE product.

Brendan O'Connor's guest list from a few months ago: Norah Casey, Oliver Callan, Angela Scanlon.
    Two years after the death of her husband, Richard Hannaford, presenter and broadcaster Norah Casey will speak to O'Connor about her decision to take a back seat from her Harmonia publishing company to focus on her passions.

RTÉ Radio 1 Callan Kicks creator, comedian and impersonator Oliver Callan will give an alternative State of the Nation address.

Fashionista and presenter of upcoming RTÉ Two Reality Bites documentary, Oi! Ginger will talk about the show and the challenges she has encountered of 'gingerism'.

Saturday Night Show lineup for Oct 19th

In other words, all RTE contractors. I presume you'd call for less of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

While the elderly exist there will always be a LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doubt many under fifty watch it these days but as long as they get the ad revenue they'll see it as a successful show.

I have s theory that a lot of people watch it out of habit more than interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It is probably not an issue right at the top of their minds. But the LLS set is absolutely terrible. Dreary and depressing. Even compared with the 1980s late late with the yellowish colour. The 80s were supposed to be more depressing than now!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Tubridy can't do live television, end of.
    It's painful watching him. Worse still he clearly doesn't even read his researchers notes properly. I.e. the show where he got the Cork footballer's names wrong.

The likes of Johnathon Ross might have zero interest in sport but at least he's professional.
    Given the amount of money he's on, I think the guy's an embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The format simply doesn't work in 2013, nor has it worked for years. No other programme attempts to mix celebrity guests and hard-hitting panel discussions. The only other show I can think of that tried to balance the two was That's Life ("Hey! Look at the dog on rollerskates! Now, let's talk about the homeless..."), which the BBC put out of its misery years ago.

I don't think that the book-plugging element is a problem in itself. Anyone who goes on the Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton shows are also promoting a film or a book or a DVD, so it's just become the norm on chat shows. The difference is the calibre of guest and the fact that both Ross and Norton, whether you like either of them or not, are much more polished and at ease with genuine A-Listers. Not that the LLS gets many A-Listers. Tubridy was practically trembling a few years ago because Anna Faris (bubbly, but hardly Sandra Bullock) was on, so unusual was it to have any American personality on the show.

Tubridy's problem is that he is completely terrified of going off the pre-prepared questions. He clings onto those cards like his life depends on them. Someone could say something revelatory - like Jack Lemmon announcing he was an alcoholic on Inside the Actors' Studio - and he'd be in a blind panic. When Michelle Heaton was on talking about her traumatic surgery decisions, he just couldn't handle it, and it seemed he was more keen to cut to a commercial break for his sake than hers. I'm not disputing it was a hard subject to talk about, but he's the one paid to do just that.

The laziness and predictability of the questions is equally sloppy. Bryan Cranston was on earlier this year, and the researchers obviously had a quick look at the imdb and saw that he had been in many high-profile TV shows over the years, and decided to work a little quiz around it. Now, Cranston was excellent, but they got away with it because he entered into the spirit of proceedings. Anyone else, it would have been cringeworthy.

The main problem is the format. I'm old enough to remember the old school 1980s LLS, and at the time, the mix of celebrity guests and the inevitable heavy discussion of "issues" kind of worked, but it was a very different Ireland back then, where some people still lived in the Land of Two Channels, so exposure to such things was a selling point.

In that pre-internet, pre-satellite TV world, long before media saturation of celebrity culture, to see anyone remotely famous in the show was a big deal. There was a novelty in seeing an actor or a comedian, because to most people, they were of another time and place, and yet there they were, talking to Uncle Gay.

Tubridy got in a strop a few years ago, referring to the fact that people kept going on about Peter Ustinov on the show, but failing to grasp that the very thing that MADE Ustinov's appearances memorable was his gift as a raconteur, and - dare I say it - Gaybo being comfortable in letting the man speak. Tubs is never going to create memorable TV by hauling in whoever happens to be sitting in the RTÉ canteen.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

To gives Tubs his dues, he does play a blinder on the Toy Show, instead of being uncomfortable with kids (Pat) or condecending/patronising (Gaybo).

He's mediocre-to-poor the rest of the year. He should stick to (very) light entertainment or kids' shows!

The format simply doesn't work in 2013, nor has it worked for years. No other programme attempts to mix celebrity guests and hard-hitting panel discussions.

I thought that, if done well, the mixture of light and serious could work. But, on consideration, I'm inclined to agree that it can't. Or, at least, can't expect to attract so sizeable an audience. I do think, though, that it's done poorly, atm. To me, it feels like a celebrity chat-show with seriousness tacked-on, rather than a mix.

There's no doubt that it takes a skilful presenter to go from celebrity chatter to discussing tragedy, as is often the case on the LLS. Problem is, Tubridy does neither well. The trend is to have a host who is entertaining in their own right. It doesn't matter if a guest is boring on Jonathan Ross, because he will bring more attention on himself.

To gives Tubs his dues, he does play a blinder on the Toy Show, instead of being uncomfortable with kids (Pat)...

Did you not watch it last year, then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭jmcc

No. Tubridy is more suited to the kind of Saturday Night show that O'Connor is fronting. Historically how much of the Late Late audience is left from when he took over?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I'm all for getting rid of Tubridy but you can't be serious about putting Miriam O'Callaghan in his place. She would be infinitely worse!! She is one of the most uninteresting people in all of television and comes across even less genuine than Pat Kenny when interviewing people.

They really need to get rid of the tales of misery and woe. It's a Friday night, it should be light entertainment only. Tubridy is probably not the man for that job.

How about getting someone from outside of RTÉ? A comedian or something..? Not that we have many funny ones, but it would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shorten the broadcast, get a new presenter that has a bit of character like Norton, Woss or even Alan Carr, attract new guests, make it a chat show and not an extension of prime time with a bit of fun thrown in.

You can see the reason for including the Late Late band as that is what I hope the producers/tubs wanted the direction of the show to take much like his own show before he started with the LLS. if they could produce the show he had before the LLS it would be more successful than the current tripe served up every week, that most of us in our thirty's/late twenties that dont go out every weekend stay in and watch the likes of Norton!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

The misery slot has got to go. Who needs to hear sad stories of sickness, death, etc on a Friday night.

It needs to be kept upbeat to entertain the audience.

Unfortunately the presenter drains the energy and buzz from the guests. Over the years he has done this to Take That, Juliette Binoche, Mia Farrow to name a few. These are big names - they should have been memorable interviews (for good reasons, not memorable for the way the presenter handled these guests).

And need I remind you of the horrendous Rhys Ifans interview???!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Saving LLS in 6 easy steps.

Drop the weekly dose of depression, suicide and cancer.

Bring back topical debates with audience participation and bring back panels of guests.

Splash out on one international famous guest per week and shut the revolving on regular RTÉ faces plugging RTÉ programmes.

Take the show out of Dublin a couple of times a season.

Snip a half hour off the length of it.

Give it to Brendan O'Connor.

Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lapin wrote: »

Bring back topical debates with audience participation and bring back panels of guests.

Splash out on one international famous guest per week and shut the revolving on regular RTÉ faces plugging RTÉ programmes.

U
    Job done.

Fell on the last hurdle I'm afraid.

I for one seriously hope the elderly are still in existence in about 30 years time. :eek:

Nothing to do with the LLS.

Its a purely selfish perspective !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I for one seriously hope the elderly are still in existence in about 30 years time. :eek:

Nothing to do with the LLS.

Its a purely selfish perspective !

+1...

:eek:

kneemos wrote: »
    Fell on the last hurdle I'm afraid.

True, BOC is not universally popular.

But he can engage with his guests in a more informal and relaxed manner than Tubridy (who often seems he would be lost without his cue cards and nervous if anything veers off script). BOC is a lot more comfortable when it comes to thinking on his feet.

While both have an ability to jump from light to heavy discussions with ease, I think BOC has a more natural style of interacting with his guests. Even in the most serious interviews he manages to lighten the mood with some ice breaking humour without being condescending.

I like Tubridy but he is more suited to his old Saturday night show than the LLS.

Job done.

1. I hope that's not to say that there couldn't occasionally be an interview of that kind. It's just the frequency (and length!!) I object to.

2. It's certainly the part of the show I like most (last one I can remember was with Fintan O'Toole, Shane Ross, Olivia O'Leary, and Nick Webb). Problem is, there aren't enough topics! I think we'd tire of a regular discussion slot, and would bemoan the standard of guests.

3. As far as I know, RTE have a policy of not paying an appearance fee to guests who are pugging something, so that's not an option, really.

4. I agree about shaking it up. But, and I don't know the answer to this, I presume the reason the show is in a studio, and not some sort of hall, is that there are acoustic and lighting requirements.

5. Yes, yes, yes!

6. Erm. He's not as bad as people claim. But, I think we can do better!
    True, BOC is not universally popular.

But he can engage with his guests in a more informal and relaxed manner than Tubridy (who often seems he would be lost without his cue cards and nervous if anything veers off script). BOC is a lot more comfortable when it comes to thinking on his feet.

While both have an ability to jump from light to heavy discussions with ease, I think BOC has a more natural style of interacting with his guests. Even in the most serious interviews he manages to lighten the mood with some ice breaking humour without being condescending.

I like Tubridy but he is more suited to his old Saturday night show than the LLS.

I think you've been very generous to both. I admit that O'Connor's show can be quite good, and that he is actually not bad at serious interviews, but he's still not fantastic. I think it works fine when he's the alternative, but we'd probably find much to grumble about were he the flagship presenter. I agree that Tubridy's Saturday show was actually quite enjoyable, but the way in which he presents the LLS is different from how he presented that: he seems to attempt to be more dignified and serious, and lacks the humility that he displayed on Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

What about

serious stuff in the first half
    Cancer of the week
    Dunphy moaning
    de misery
    etc

Then have an intermission , De weather and headlines
    costume change for tubs

second half
    Light entertainment,
    de music,
    jokes
    etc

----

Late Late Show
    ACT 1
    Intermission
    ACT 2

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Tubbers can't adlib.

He's essentially an empty suit.
    He's stiff, he flaps if the conversation veers off the set questions and most importantly he's on utterly ridiculous money.

The licence payers fee would be better spent on something more worthwhile.
    The Late Late is irrelevant and as has already been said is basically a trawl of the canteen to highlight whatever ****e RTE are churning out for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant stand BOC and he puts his foot in it a lot of the time, LLS would die if he took over!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I think someone like Sean Moncrieff could do a great job hosting a show with both light-hearted and serious topics. One of the better interviewers i've heard in the last few years. His show on Newstalk is one of the best things on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

To be honest, I gave up watching the Tubridy Show which has become largely irrelevant and does not seem to know its audience. He will be back on our screens next week again, so here is my response to some of the issues raised here earlier.

The misery slot: I would be along the lines of seeing this type of slot less frequently but not cut out at all. Tubridy however has no talent whatsoever in dealing with these types of issues and comes across as condescending often.
    Debates: I am fine with them as long as they are not about bloody Irish politics and the 'recession hypocricy' whe've been hearing about for too long without change. We already got rid of The Frontline and it is less not more of this type of stuff we need.
    Presenters: I like Brendan O'Connor personally and enough to go out Friday instead of Saturday! His show is more engaging and he is better with his guests and much more interesting. It also shows he can do more in an hour and 10 minutes than Tubridy can do in over 2 hours. Sean Moncrieff is very good too and would make a good presenter. Clearly, Tubridy is wrong for the show.
    The length: clearly, the show is way too long. Why does it have to be nearly 2 and a half hours? It is longer than ever these last few years. Gaybo was strictly 9.30-11.30.
    Older audience: many often say it is for older audiences. But clearly the guests often have little to offer such audiences. For an audience whose musical tastes would be Jim Reeves or Frank Sinatra and not Westlife or One Direction and whose film tastes would be Westerns and not Anchorman 2, there is very little on offer here. Very little showbands or Fair City actors on too.
    Younger Audience: It is perceived as uncool by younger audiences. Kids are into these boybands but are probably getting to see them elsewhere. No 15 year old is going to admit to watching Tubridy are they!!
    The format: some guests on too long, some on too short. The first or second half can go on forever with a boring guest (or at least made boring by Tubridy!). More talk than song with musical guests. Stupid fillerinner games with the audience. The stupid modern pop songs played by the band when guests make their way from the back to the studio. Etc, etc.

Overall, it's a show that has lost its way and does not know its audience. It needs serious reform and clearly a new presenter.

Advertisement