Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeing in house after being neutured

Options
  • 16-05-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this seems a daft question but we had the pups neutured/spayed on friday and since then one of them (think its the bitch) keeps weeing inside even if they've been out 10minutes before. They've both been clean for months even overnight so it seems very out of character.

Is this just likely to be a reaction to the operation or am i going to have to start housetraining again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Because it is so soon after the op, the peeing in the house is probably due to this. A bitch spay is an invasive operation and can leave things a bit out of balance for a while - some incontinence after a spay is not uncommon at all. Usually, it will settle itself but you should ask your vet about it when you bring them back in to get their stitches out just to make sure. In very rare cases, bitches can suffer with permanent incontinence (partial or full) after a spay due to nerve damage caused by the operation but this is very rare and any leaking or odd toilet habits usually sort themselves out in a week or two.

Just continue as normal with the house training, perhaps letting them our more frequently then usual just until they have fully healed and you should see an improvement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

+1

I have two spayed bitches and they both had accidents for a short while after being spayed. Fortunately this passed soon.

Hope it passes soon for you, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thank you both thats put my mind at rest, its been 12yrs since had last bitch spayed and i couldn't remember her doing it. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes, perfectly normal, my dog has had two accidents in the house in total since I got her at 9 weeks old, one the evening of day she was spayed and the other the following morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

When I took my dog home from the vet after her op.. she headed straight for the little bed we'd prepared for her and she peed on it!

She did pee another time but then when she came around to herself again she went outside. The weather was good so we had the doors open.. she usually hops up and opens the doors herself but I didn't want her stretching her stiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thanks these replies are showing me that its perfectly normal.

She's already managed to split a stitch and i nearly died with the vets advice. "if you're worried get a bit of bandage and put a couple of blobs of superglue on the edges and place it over the wound" I'm not supergluing my dog :eek: Luckily theres no sign of the wound coming open.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

piperh wrote: »
    Thanks these replies are showing me that its perfectly normal.

She's already managed to split a stitch and i nearly died with the vets advice. "if you're worried get a bit of bandage and put a couple of blobs of superglue on the edges and place it over the wound" I'm not supergluing my dog :eek: Luckily theres no sign of the wound coming open.
    Superglue a wound, WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

That's not bad advice, and in a bind it's a good solution for a bad cut in a human too.
    Superglue afaik was used in the Vietnam war when they used it for the same.

Advertisement