Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability

• 13-11-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys, I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this or not, if the mods think it should be elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

I'm looking for some clarification on this grant as I've seen some conflicting information on it. Do any of you know if this grant is only payable to be used on adapting an existing building, or can a disabled person apply for it to help cover the cost of building an adapted accessible house?
    I have seen it in a few places referred to as to assist in providing or adapting a home. But on the official information sites, it all seems to centre around people who already have a home, be it owned, long term rented etc... And I see the higher rates are only for houses older than one year.

It would seem to be bizarre if it couldn't be claimed by a disabled person who meets the criteria to be used in assisting to build an accessible house, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, do any of you know of any help or grants towards helping disabled people build a house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I guess the theory is that the adaptation grant is to make for a lake of forward planning, to adapt the facilities in the house that aren't usable by the person with the disability. If you are designing and building the house from scratch, you have the opportunity to build in these facilities from the outset - at minimal cost - in theory at least.

What extra costs would you be encountering at build stage relating to the disability?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gerherher

Thanks for the reply, I think you're right in that if building from scratch, you can definitely plan for the disability and access needs, and as you say in theory this should be at minimal extra costs. It's seen by a lot as no different than choosing a different style or layout.

Whereas in my experience this type of work pretty much always costs more than a standard build, by the time you build a house to be suitable for a disabled person to live independently and be able to function and live to the maximum level of their potential, you get in to serious money, very quickly. This does depend on the level of need though.

But by the time you have a real accessible kitchen, good sized fit for purpose bathroom(in a lot of cases this is going to need to be a similar to a wet room in a lot of cases if building from scratch, as it would be madness to do otherwise in cases of severe disability), access ramps at outer doors, paths, including access to the car, rails inside and out. And in general space, as space can't be used in the same way and as efficiently, etc.....

There are probably other things I'm forgetting or not thinking of.

Advertisement