Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a test

Options
  • 20-11-2015 10:10pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since a very young age, I am 50% deaf in my left ear. I've grown up without hearing aids and I don't particular fancy them right now. But I would like to get my hearing tested to see if it's worse or same, as I find it's deteriorated and I struggle in work a little.

The HSE won't assist as I don't have a medical card and Specsavers doesn't strike me as a place to go and on asking a friend who is deaf, she didn't recommend them either.

Any other suggestions on where would be good for a test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have had very satisfactory dealings with Waterford Hearing Services https://www.facebook.com/waterfordhearing/info/?tab=overview

Specsavers are fine for glasses, but I am not convinced by their hearing services. Hidden Hearing have a good rep as I understand, however they will damn you with advertising, phone calls etc if they get your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Your GP would be a good starting point

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RainyDay wrote: »

Wouldn't have thought a GP would be good for hearing tests?

RainyDay wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

GP is good place to start. Ask your local surgery if they can do hearing tests. Its a very basic test but it establishes if problem exists & Doctor can then refer you on to ENT consultant if needed for more detailed examination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You can get free tests in loads of places in dublin like hidden hearing for example. I almost bought hearing aids from specsavers years ago but I gave them back cos the sound just wasn't as good as the expensive widex ones I'd had before.
    FWIW I spent a small fortune on cic aids but when I walked out of bonavox that day I was the happiest guy on the planet. Got promoted in work within 6 months too.
    Moral of the story...dip your hand into your pockets for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

looksee wrote: »
    Why?

Because your GP is your gateway to other health services. I wouldn't expect the GP to do a hearing test, but they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭cobham

You need to be medically checked over as to why you have a hearing problem especially if it is in one ear only. A GP will refer you to a consultant who will in turn send you to an audiology department for a hearing test. Then you might have a CAT scan or MRI. With all this done and a recommendation for a hearing aid, then you can check out various places that supply hearing aids. I do not think a professional audiologist is allowed supply hearing aids without decent medical background.

I was happy with my experience of Specsavers - both the person I dealt with and the hearing aid. There was a 30 day trial of same I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I've booked into the local private hospital anyway just to see where I am at now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

cobham wrote: »
    You need to be medically checked over as to why you have a hearing problem especially if it is in one ear only. A GP will refer you to a consultant who will in turn send you to an audiology department for a hearing test. Then you might have a CAT scan or MRI. With all this done and a recommendation for a hearing aid, then you can check out various places that supply hearing aids. I do not think a professional audiologist is allowed supply hearing aids without decent medical background.

I was happy with my experience of Specsavers - both the person I dealt with and the hearing aid. There was a 30 day trial of same I think.

Unless you're in a hospital an audiologist is a glorified salesperson

• Advertisement

I had a rubbish (and expensive) experience with an ENT consultant who assured me I had no significant hearing loss. I knew I was having serious difficulty hearing with one ear, as a result of an (apparently mild) ear infection. I found the audiologist I attended very knowledgeable and helpful, no hard sell, and an excellent outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ronjonbyrne

2 years in University to get a degree in Audiology is not to be.a glorified salesperson. And fyi Specsavers sell Widex fusion & passion RICS or CIC's depending on personal preference or the prescription of the loss.
    The test is free with no obligation & performed by a fully qualified registered Hearing Aid Dispenser (Audiologists)

I agree that an audiologist is a professionally trained person and as such should not dispense hearing aids without some medical background on their client. My audiologist was happy with my account of my history and I had a couple of audiology results with me.

Initially I thought to go direct to one and just asked a GP to recommend a person and was surprised when he insisted that my ears (and cause for sudden hearing loss in one ear) be examined by a consultant. Of course the obvious cause of wax blockage was quickly ruled out by the GP. After the second grommut failed, the ENT person was prepared to go again but also said I would be a good candidate for a hearing aid and that the level of hearing loss I had would probably not deteriorate any further. So I 'saved' myself the expense of further surgery/hearing tests etc and invested in my hearing aid.

Now I have it nearly a year and I really miss it when I forget to put it in... I no longer have to strain to catch words in company or apologise for not hearing properly. And when the mobile goes walkabout, I can only locate its hiding place with the hearing aid in to guide me.... :)

Ok maybe not important but it was a traffic situation where hearing was crucial that prompted me initially to do something about my hearing after 7 years of hearing loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Just out of interest did the ENT consultant refer you for an MRI of your ear ?

I'm not due back yet but there is a wide ranging debate about it being a waste of money going private when, apparently, you can be referred onto the public system by your doctor and be seen within a couple of weeks where the tests are done in one day. This advise was given by another doctor within the hospital.

Just out of interest did the ENT consultant refer you for an MRI of your ear ?

Sorry just saw your post now. Yes ENT surgeon referred me for MRI when first say me maybe 6 yrs ago. After failure of first grommut, it was a CAT referral, before second grommut installed.... all money and only so much cover from VHI. There was also hearing tests done before and after surgeries. My problem is a blocked eustacian tube so ear full of gunk as does not drain.

Sully wrote: »
    I'm not due back yet but there is a wide ranging debate about it being a waste of money going private when, apparently, you can be referred onto the public system by your doctor and be seen within a couple of weeks where the tests are done in one day. This advise was given by another doctor within the hospital.

Goodness things are looking up!

looksee wrote: »
    Goodness things are looking up!

Some sort of Swift Clinic?

Advertisement