Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICF VS TIMBER FRAME

Options
  • 14-09-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

Any suggestions advice on this, especially with new regs on certification/ u values etc.

At the expo in city west over weekend & couldn't find one ICF contractor which surprised me. Spoke with Kilbroney homes who naturally gave glowing recommendation for timber framed.

Builders I ask all give contradicting advice & know it's much of a muchness.

Building a 3,200sqft home so costs going to be major factor in decision naturally.

Any ICF good or bad stories or timber frame?

Thanks.

Comments

Maybe it's the new building rules that have killed off the "pioneer spirit" in self builders.

Established builders usually only use materials and methods that they are familiar with and most don't know ICF.

When I built my house eight years ago, I was able to choose and use whatever system I wanted. I don't think that's possible now, the professionals now make that choice.

As it is the company that supplied my ICF system has now gone.

Would I use it again, yes but, could I find a builder and engineer willing to certify, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

Thanks Dolanbaker,

Sorry for delay in reply but been very busy in work and only getting back to boards.ie now. Eight years on have you have any issues with ICF? I hear there can be complications with the render/ if cracks appear getting them repaired etc. Any experience of this? In terms of construction time was it quick? Overall do you t hink you saved money vs. block build?

I haven't had any issues with the system so far, as for the render only had a small number of hairline shrinkage cracks that are still hairline as I have an expanded metal backing for it to avoid any such issues.

Speed of construction was very fast as I single handedly erected the external walls in two days, bracing for the concrete pour took about a week.

I can't really say whether I would have saved money doing it this way relative to other systems, but as labour costs were almost zero I saved money, can't comment on any savings if using a contractor to build with ICF.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

Speed of construction was very fast as I single handedly erected the external walls in two days, bracing for the concrete pour took about a week.

I can't really say whether I would have saved money doing it this way relative to other systems, but as labour costs were almost zero I saved money, can't comment on any savings if using a contractor to build with ICF.

Heard its like building Lego alright......Santa never got me any as a kid mind you! Great to hear house going well for you. Appreciate feedback!

breffnij wrote: »
    Heard its like building Lego alright......Santa never got me any as a kid mind you! Great to hear house going well for you. Appreciate feedback!
    It was big lego, each block was 1.2 x 2.5 metres

http://www.dolanbaker.info/SelfbuildDiaryphotos/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

It was big lego, each block was 1.2 x 2.5 metres

http://www.dolanbaker.info/SelfbuildDiaryphotos/index.html

Wow, well done, allot of work!

Advertisement