Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link IP Cam with Night Vision €78 Harvy

Options
  • 19-09-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

link Harvy Normans
    Still priced at €129.99 in Swords so point out internet price and they will reduce it.€70 on amazon but may not qualify for free postage as not sold by them so good price for bricks and mortar shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

If only I had a power source near the place where that camera would be any use for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ninty wrote: »
    link Harvy Normans
    Still priced at €129.99 in Swords so point out internet price and they will reduce it.€70 on amazon but may not qualify for free postage as not sold by them so good price for bricks and mortar shop.

Only a very poor VGA resolution ( 640x480 ).

You can get similar specced IP cameras for half that price.
    It also uses the older MJPEG compression for video, not the more efficient X264.

Overpriced and obsolete technology in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Such as ? I think a lot people use these as cameras to monitor kids so don't need or want high quality video or worried about the video compression methods.

I plan on getting one, but if there's a decent IP camera for half that price in which I can monitor from a tablet or phone I'd be interested.

Well that one doesn't even have motorized pan and tilt, so it'll only point to one spot in the room.

This FOSCAM IP camera is roughly €70 (after conversion from sterling) and has motorized pan and tilt.

http://foscam.co.uk/products/foscam-fi8910w-white.html

Or cheaper chinese clones of that Foscam are here for $54

http://www.focalprice.com/HA0176W/JPT3815W_14_CMOS_Sensor_MJPEG_Series_PT_Indoor_IP_Camera_with.html

Or another for $46

http://www.focalprice.com/HA0176B/JPT3815W_14_CMOS_Sensor_MJPEG_Series_PT_Indoor_IP_Camera_with.html

I own two genuine Foscam cameras, so haven't tried the cheaper clones.

But €78 for the D-Link with VGA resolution, no pan & tilt and MJPEG video compression is too much.

Do you buy direct? Their shipping calculator doesn't seem to be doing anything for me so wondering what their shipping costs are to here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you buy direct? Their shipping calculator doesn't seem to be doing anything for me so wondering what their shipping costs are to here.

Parcel motel if you have to

Good point, keep forgetting about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

Only a very poor VGA resolution ( 640x480 ).

It also uses the older MJPEG compression for video, not the more efficient X264.

Overpriced and obsolete technology in my opinion.

Not sure what yer at but you then go on to link to a foscam model on the foscam site that happens to have the exact same poor specs???? Ie it's still mjpeg and 640x480????

- Can anyone explain the point of a wireless cam, still have to run a power cable don't ya? Wouldn't it be sensible to just run some cat 6 too? How long is this power cable? Foscam site keeping it's secrets.... Presume you have to typically buy extension cables etc?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Not sure what yer at but you then go on to link to a foscam model on the foscam site that happens to have the exact same poor specs???? Ie it's still mjpeg and 640x480????

I think his point was pretty clear, that if you're happy with those specs why not buy one for half the price. As a matter of fact what he linked to is still better as it also has pan and tilt. Here's a cheaper alternative of similar spec and a well known make for just 32 Euro, plus possibly VAT if you get caught, though I got two of them in together and wasn't stopped:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wanscam-Wireless-HD-CMOS-0-3MP-P2P-IR-Security-Camera-IP-Network-Night-Vision-HK-/201117923805?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item2ed38ff9dd

HD ones are typically almost twice the price and as pointed out not always necessary for most uses, but if you must have one, iBood are doing a reasonable deal on one at 60 Euro with 720p, IR-Cut, SD card slot and Pan & Tilt, which is still cheaper than the one in the OP.
    - Can anyone explain the point of a wireless cam, still have to run a power cable don't ya? Wouldn't it be sensible to just run some cat 6 too? How long is this power cable? Foscam site keeping it's secrets.... Presume you have to typically buy extension cables etc?

The power cable isn't long, but the point is that you just plug it in anywhere there's a power socket and within Wifi range, and considering most people have sockets in every corner of every room, you'll always find a suitable position for it. And you can move it around to suit your needs, you can put it in a child's room when you're at home to keep an eye on them, then when you go out you can move it somewhere else to keep an eye on your house or garage or wherever. No need to run CAT cable all over a premises.

These are not a professional set up that you'd use to record several cameras 24/7 in a shop. For that you would use different cameras with wired Ethernet and a DVR.

EDIT: I see that iBood offer just expired, but I'm sure you'll find a similar one elsewhere for the same price or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Do these record or are they just for monitoring?

• Advertisement

deadlast wrote: »
    Do these record or are they just for monitoring?

No recording on any of them.
    At best they'll e-mail you that they've detected motion and maybe include 5 photos where they detected motion.

But get the motion detection sensitivity wrong, and it'll start spamming you with hundreds of e-mails detecting motion every day.
    I actually had Google temporarily disable my account for that, but then automatically re-enable it without me having to contact them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

You can set them up to record to a NAS, a Boards member posted detailed instructions somewhere. I'm sure you can set them up to record off site too. Some have an SD slot so I'm sure they can record a certain amount too.

Blade wrote: »
    You can set them up to record to a NAS, a Boards member posted detailed instructions somewhere.

Yep, that was me :)

If you've a NAS drive, especially one of those Zyzel 310/325 drives, then I've a technical tutorial on how to record the video here.
    But you need to know at least a little bit of Linux.

Although I just remembered, that some of the IP Cameras do let you configure them to upload their motion detection photos to an FTP server.
    Again, you'd need a little Linux box or NAS drive for that.
    My old FOSCAM FI8918W did allow for that, superceded by the FI8910W in my first link.

As Blade mentioned, if any IP Cameras mention an "SD Card" slot, then it means they can record to that directly. But I don't believe any of the links I posted have SD Cards, they were basic cams to match the OP's original spec.

Advertisement