Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bi-folding doors on a sun room?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on bi-folding doors? We're getting a small sun room / extension built, it'll be east-facing.

I adore the look of bi-folding doors, both closed and open, and feel it would be a great way to make up for the openness of garden we're losing by building on it. But i'm reading some opinions on other threads that bi-folding doors in Ireland can be too drafty, or unreliable, or the 'lip' at the bottom can be problematic if you have kids (we do). Would appreciate your expert guidance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

I originally wanted bi-fold doors on our new build - we have two large openings at the back of house both 3.5m wide. it was only when we went window shopping we got to learn of the pros and cons of them. we were originally looking at pvc windows but the bi-fold could not be pvc due to weight and size required so we'd have to go with aluminium. we then started looking at alu-clad windows and we decided on 2 large sliding doors instead of the bi-fold. the bi-fold look great but in reality we probably wouldnt have them opened fully maybe only a few times each year.also the seals on them arent as good and the hinges could be an issue down the line, bsaiclly way more movable joints on bi-fold compared to sliding. we are get the brunt of any bad weather to rear of our house so the sliding doors will be better in the bad weather. hope this helps

Advertisement