Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Q] Worthwhile to do a masters?

Options
  • 18-09-2014 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Trying to figure out the benefits of doing a masters. I was about to start one in software development this sept but have started a new job in software dev instead with a good company.

Just wondering what are the benefits of having a masters if you are already in a job.. If you are going for jobs down the line obviously it looks better to have one but is experience more valuable? And are there financial benefits to having one?

Any one with experience would be great to hear from,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SonicWind

I would definitely stay with the job, 2-3 years experience looks way better than a masters. I was in the same situation 2 months ago and I do not regret my choice!

My manager has said the same thing, as has all my friends and even my Final Year Project Supervisor..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I got a promotion based on the fact that I dd my masters while working.

It was definitely worth it for me at the time.

It is time consuming, you really need to have the time, if it's a new job wait it out as it can take a while to settle in, the masters will still be there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SonicWind

It would be worthwhile for me to do one while working after a year or so.
    Especially if the job pays towards it!

But there is no sense in doing one before you settle into a career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Qualifications are useful, indeed important, in two scenarios:
    • Recessions; where having that extra piece of paper or letters after your name will make a difference between getting a job and having your CV culled in the first round.
    • Working Abroad; experience generally trumps qualifications in Ireland (within reason, as you still need some qualifications to get anywhere) and many Anglophone nations, but this is not true in every country. If you want to be able to apply for roles in continental Europe or many other (lucrative) regions around the World, the reverse it true and recognized qualifications become essential. You might not be all that interested in the option of emigrating right now, but neither were a lot of people who ultimately were glad they could, back in 2008.
    So, as you can see, while things are good or you're happy to stay put, qualifications are not very important. However, because they require time to achieve, it's not a bad idea to invest time when you don't need them, because when you will, it'll already be too late.

I'd look at part time postgrads if I were you. DIT does a HDip that converts into an MSc, when you do a thesis, and there are plenty of other qualifications and courses out there - it doesn't necessarily have to be a masters, after all. Collecting what I call scout badges; quick and easy professional certifications is also a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kj2010

Should have said, am looking at starting a part-time masters now over 2 years with my current job. Only thing is that the workload for the job is huge (lots of new learning) so am wondering would I have time for the two..

• Advertisement

Job is only a 4 month contract too so thinking of the possibility of not being kept on and having something to fall back on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Do you have previous dev experience?

Nope.. first job after college

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you're only starting out, I'd give it a little time to gain experience in Development first. I found things tricky to grasp in College and now that I work with similar concepts as a Developer, things are much easier to understand. This won't make a Masters any easier, but you'll understand the material better when it comes down to it. I would also hold out for a permanent position with a Company who would be willing to assist in funding a part time Masters while you work. It may provide flexibility in your workload and ease the financial burden at the same time.

Good call, The worload is pretty high for this as it is as i've been deep ended quiet a bit.. think this is the best option might do it next sept if it suits, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement