Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing council contribution fees for a new build - Munster

Options
  • 16-09-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We are building a new house in Munster & the council contribution fees are 8.500e. I’m aware they are calculated in accordance with the Council's
    Development Contributions Scheme (& sq footage of
    the house)however Council in respect of public infrastructure and facilities benefiting development in the area of the Planning Authority.

But the, proposed development benefits from No amenities or
    facilities.

In summary -
    1. No water supply –We have to have a well bored , which will be of additional cost
    2. No power supply -We will have to have power brought from down the road
    3. No sewage facilities – We have to also install a Waste water treatment unit – This is also a condition on the planning

Does anyone know if it is possible to negotiate these fees with the council and have them decreased ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

If the fees are calculated as indicated in your Local Authoritty Development plan there is no way to appeal.
    I have to say the amount seems on the low side to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

macky18 wrote: »

We are building a new house in Munster & the council contribution fees are 8.500e. I’m aware they are calculated in accordance with the Council's
    Development Contributions Scheme (& sq footage of
    the house)however Council in respect of public infrastructure and facilities benefiting development in the area of the Planning Authority.

But the, proposed development benefits from No amenities or
    facilities.

In summary -
    1. No water supply –We have to have a well bored , which will be of additional cost
    3. No sewage facilities – We have to also install a Waste water treatment unit – This is also a condition on the planning

Does anyone know if it is possible to negotiate these fees with the council and have them decreased ?

i think this is a case of you know the fees per Sq. M before you applied, they will argue that you could have applied for a smaller house.

I would not imagine you have any grounds to appeal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

first off have you reviewed the councils fees/breakdown and calcuated the contribution based on the msq. next have you met with council to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I would appeal, and I would ask for a full breakdown from the council for what they are providing to your development specifically for the money.

The most obvious omissions in one-off building is sewage, water, footpaths, street lighting, refuse etc etc. Whilst some of my acquaintances in Galway were clobbered with development fees in 06-08, I got mine down to a much lower level than they did.

When you consider that each of those services is now specifically charged-for, you have nothing to lose by trying, and everything to gain.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

galwaytt wrote: »
    I would appeal, and I would ask for a full breakdown from the council for what they are providing to your development specifically for the money.

The most obvious omissions in one-off building is sewage, water, footpaths, street lighting, refuse etc etc. Whilst some of my acquaintances in Galway were clobbered with development fees in 06-08, I got mine down to a much lower level than they did.

When you consider that each of those services is now specifically charged-for, you have nothing to lose by trying, and everything to gain.

agreed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just as an aside/this is probably a bit off topic...

It may be fairly clear cut how levies are calculated per m.sq. on a new build.

But, for an extension to an existing house, in Dublin, I saw a case where planning permission was granted for the part demolition of an existing house and construction of a new and larger extension in its place. As part of the planning permission, contributions were levied. The owners appealed to ABP (solely on the contributions levied...that it was too much). ABP, in their decision, increased the amount levied (by a significant amount) on the basis that the LA had not calculated levies correctly/in accordance with their own development plan.

Turned out the LA was doing the applicant a bit of a favour/trying to keep contributions to a reasonable level! ABP was the wrong route to go in that particular case!!!

galwaytt wrote: »
    you have nothing to lose by trying,

I have no experience of it happening - but ABP can overturn the entire LA approval entirely

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

RITwing wrote: »
    I have no experience of it happening - but ABP can overturn the entire LA approval entirely

I was going to mention same in my post above...ABP don't just look at the specific content or reason for of an appeal, they look at the entire permission, as if it was a brand new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Plus, it will delay construction for about 6 months. If you think the fees were calculated incorrectly , you should approach the local authority.
    On the other hand, if you believe the fee was calculated correctly but the rates are unfair, you dont really have any grounds for appeal. The County councillors sign off on the rates, the planning office just applies them.

macky18 wrote: »
    In summary -

Not Munster but look at Meath CO CO guidance. You pay less when you get less and vice versa

see page 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RITwing wrote: »

I don't mean appealing to ABP- I mean negotiating with the LA.

I wouldn't go near ABP.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement