Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation or Wall

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Looking for general advice on insulation.

We moved into a 6 bed dormer last year and it's freeeeeeeeeezing in the Winter, we've decided to go down the insulation side of things and don't have too much money to spend.

Now we have to decided to insulate the house we have to decide between Wall or roof insulation, which one is best to go with - what has the most benefits and is cheaper.

I know you can receive better funding if you go with both but we don't have the money to at the moment, any general advice would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Attic insulation is cheap - if you have access to an attic area then definitely get a minimum of 300mm in there for starters.

What about airtightness? Is there a draught at doors and windows - again draught excluders on doors are cheap.

Open fire - chimney balloon to stop cold air there.

Can curtains be pulled across windows/front and back door - without blocking radiators - again a cheap fix that will help another little bit.

Lots of little things which won't break the bank and will get you off in the right direction.

The guys on here will point you in the proper direction for insulation values for walls/roof etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The Irish Dormer is notoriously drafty and knee high wall areas poorly insulated. What sort of a budget have you allowed ? as dealing with a drafty house and dormer/sloped air-tightness & insulation can be invasive. Is there a cavity between two courses of blocks in the walls? Is this full of insulation? What was the BER of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gunnersaurus

Thanks mfceiling for the advice, lots of good things in there that I will definitely pursue, much appreciated

Hi Bryan, Im not sure - I will check up the docs of the house when I purchased to see if there is anything in there (or is there a way I can check?) The house was a C1 so I wasnt expecting it to be as cold as it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks mfceiling for the advice, lots of good things in there that I will definitely pursue, much appreciated

Hi Bryan, Im not sure - I will check up the docs of the house when I purchased to see if there is anything in there (or is there a way I can check?) The house was a C1 so I wasnt expecting it to be as cold as it is.

the BER rating is not a specific heat loss survey of your dwelling.

the advice given so far is good.

Im not a huge fan of spray foam insulation, but this is a typical situation where it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

1. Looking for general advice on insulation.

2. We moved into a 6 bed dormer last year and it's freeeeeeeeeezing in the Winter,
    3. we've decided to go down the insulation side of things and don't have too much money to spend.

4. Now we have to decided to insulate the house we have to decide between Wall or roof insulation, which one is best to go with - what has the most benefits and is cheaper.

5. any general advice would be good.
    I would like to add to the good advice already given.

1. What you're looking for is general advice on heat retention. Insulation only addresses ONE aspect of heat retention and in a typical dormer, this is the least important one.
    2 & 3. As others have said, dormers are notoriously draughty. Heat loss by draughts in a typical dormer is the dominant heat loss mechanism. If you spend your limited budget on insulation '(which doesn't address draughts), you will still be cold this coming winter (and poorer).
    4. Don't until you fully understand where you are loosing heat. Note: insulation sales people will say that what I am saying is BS. Trust me, its not. Just because some measures are grant aided does not mean that they are the best way of improving the heat retention properties of your house.
    5. If you are serious about getting to grips with this, first have a heat loss survey done by a company who are not also trying to sell you something else (or at least talk to one). Note, this is a different animal to a BER and will leave you in no doubt on what to tackle first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I would like to add to the good advice already given.

1. What you're looking for is general advice on heat retention. Insulation only addresses ONE aspect of heat retention and in a typical dormer, this is the least important one.
    2 & 3. As others have said, dormers are notoriously draughty. Heat loss by draughts in a typical dormer is the dominant heat loss mechanism. If you spend your limited budget on insulation '(which doesn't address draughts), you will still be cold this coming winter (and poorer).
    4. Don't until you fully understand where you are loosing heat. Note: insulation sales people will say that what I am saying is BS. Trust me, its not. Just because some measures are grant aided does not mean that they are the best way of improving the heat retention properties of your house.
    5. If you are serious about getting to grips with this, first have a heat loss survey done by a company who are not also trying to sell you something else (or at least talk to one). Note, this is a different animal to a BER and will leave you in no doubt on what to tackle first.

Absolutely right Mick. You can pile in as much insulation as you want and it won't make a slight bit of difference unless you address the main issue which is uncontrolled cold air infiltration. It is definitely worth your while to have the house assessed properly before you go throwing good money after bad.

Spray foam insulation may be a viable option but it must be installed correctly, however there are other factors that might render this option not practical, such as shallow rafters. If you do look at this route, be aware that the key word is "Controlled" air flow, which means that there must be airflow maintained that will allow for moisture to dissipate from within the roof, but you don't want the same airflow getting into your bedrooms.

If you don't deal with the air infiltration, you are wasting your time worrying about heat loss.

Advertisement