Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a point in have 50km & a 60km speed limits?

Options
  • 21-06-2006 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests Im not sure there is much point in having both these limits..
    Its pretty easy to be doing 53km/h in a 50 zone or 57km/h in a 60 zone without even realising (depending on the thickness of the speedo needle)
    Shoudlnt they just pick one and save the need to adjust up and down frequently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The 60kph speed limit bites ass. Should have been 65kph in my opinion. That would correspond to 40mph instead of 37mph.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

GreeBo wrote:
    As the title suggests Im not sure there is much point in having both these limits..
    Its pretty easy to be doing 53km/h in a 50 zone or 57km/h in a 60 zone without even realising (depending on the thickness of the speedo needle)
    Shoudlnt they just pick one and save the need to adjust up and down frequently?
    Well not really, because different speeds are required for different areas.
    Imagine being stuck on the Stillorgan dual carraigeway at 50km/h, or being allowed do 60 km/hr in the middle of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Back to the Irish speed limits question ... the majority make little sense ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The 50/60 thing does my head in, I'd drop the 60 myself and use the 50 more sparingly and have more 80s. The Outer Ring Road down here is a 60 which is nuts really.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

mike65 wrote:
    The 50/60 thing does my head in, I'd drop the 60 myself and use the 50 more sparingly and have more 80s. The Outer Ring Road down here is a 60 which is nuts really.

Mike.

Nutsell, nice!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    The 50/60 thing does my head in, I'd drop the 60 myself and use the 50 more sparingly and have more 80s.
    So you are saying no just have 50 and 80. And also use less 50's, which implies they would have to go up to 80!
    And more 80's (made up of the former 60's).

Changing a 50 to an 80 seems more that a bit nuts to me.

I would'nt make a direct swich from 50 to 80 rather I'd reclassify the lot, the 60s would become 80s for the most part while some 60s could become 50s (not all speed limit zones are too slow!)while many 50s could be shortened and the 80s start sooner.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cast_iron wrote:
    So you are saying no just have 50 and 80. And also use less 50's, which implies they would have to go up to 80!
    And more 80's (made up of the former 60's).

Changing a 50 to an 80 seems more that a bit nuts to me.

I think he means keep the usual 50kph limits, make some of the 60s into 50s but do so sparingly and convert the rest of the 60s into 80s.

To be honest, it's rare that I see a 60kph speed limit that you could fully justify. I have seen a few on very dodgy stretches of road, but they'd nearly be suited to 50kph anyway. The rest just seemed like they wanted something less than 100kph for whatever trivial reason and went to 60kph for the sake of it.

I'd vote for mike's proposal if I got the chance :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Now cos I re-edited my previous post to answer cast iron that post makes no sense! :D

Exactly (near enough!) Stark

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Now cos I re-edited my previous post to answer cast iron that post makes no sense! :D

Exactly (near enough!) Stark

Mike.

what makes no sense....

• Advertisement

nutsell/I dont sell nuts

oh it does'nt matter! :)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    You're right, it doesn't:D
    But ya, i agree with what you meant.
    What about that review of all the limits that took place a while back. Did feck all since if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I just dont see the point in having two limits that are so close together..
    I mean what defines a stretch of road as being 50 v's 60?
    Pick one and remove the other.
    If we think that 50 is needed then make them all 50.
    If there is any doubt about it being 80, make it 50.
    I mean why not have a 55 for roads that are not quite 50 but not quite 60?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think there should be a limit corresponding to 20mph in built up areas such as estates and outside schools, in shopping areas etc....all other built up areas should be 50 kmph rising to 60kmph at the outer edges of the built -up area( a buffer or deceleration zone in effect) and the higher limits (80 or 100) should start once clear of that zone (ie when out in the open countryside for couple hundred metres..... ....
    (ie speed kills...)
    and if you think I'm an anti-speed old fogie, I just came back from Santa Pod where I ran a 16.7 quarter in my V6 Cortina....

mike65 wrote:
    nutsell/I dont sell nuts

oh it does'nt matter! :)

Mike.

i knew what you meant but what i had done was deleted my original post (nutshell) twas in esssence a double buff

This is the sort of thing I want to see the back of.

sillyspeedlimits.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The hell are there both 60 and 100 limits for?

The pic was taken a Paulstown on the N9. The road you see is the start of the N10 spur, Paulstown is a 50 zone with very short 60 'shoulders'.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote:
    This is the sort of thing I want to see the back of.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/sillyspeedlimits.jpg

Mike.
    I suspect the "100" were meant for the big signs and the "60"s meant for the other side of the signs or some varient thereof (if there are still houses, I wouldn't have the 100 just yet).

Ah come on now! Even KCC are'nt that stupid!

This being Ireland the houses dribble on for some distance after the 100 signs before "open road" conditions are achived.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement