Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new Howth Junction station abandoned

• 20-06-2006 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

I never seen the ticket office staffed since its been redone,
    the ticket machines and turnstills were broke the other day but tbf there was a guy there fixing em
    the automatic door wouldn't open and people couldn't get into the station till someone walked out and it now has a bin holding it open
    numerous times the gates have been locked before the last train and people have to walk across the tracks to get out

what is the story there seemed to built this 1970s monster and then decided not to staff it for months??

discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Diaspora

This area has always been a problem from a security perspective even 20 years ago windows regularly lost structural integrity in this area and when the St Patricks day riots happened a few years back it was at this point that the Dart lost glass.

It is obvious that IE staff do not want to staff this station and in the absence of security staff to protect them I don't blame them.

Bottom line a few yobs have effectively shut down a train station and between IE managment not protecting staff, unions not pressing to have them protected and the Guards sitting in their warm station eating McDonalds and watching videos the commuter gets screwed. (yet again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

but no staff at all? i've never seen staff there in the morning although I haven't used the station that much, that ticket office was always a bunker I never heard of staff being attacked there, (the thing would be the fear factor of being stuck in there alone at night) but now the station is upgraded there bound to more then one person at the station at all but extremely off opeak times. I wonder if HJ is the busiest station out north(bar raheny?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Whatever about Howth Junction, a far worse case I can see is Broombridge - the station is unmanned and in an absolute state of disrepair. Nobody seems to get on or off there, even in the middle of the morning or even peak at most one or two people seem to leave or enter the train, and I've known trains to stop, wait a few seconds, then depart there. There is graffiti abound and signs and other materials damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Why don't you write a letter to IE and DoT about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 davidhealy

CIE have submitted a retention application for the station as constructed.

Over a month after I emailed them in relation to the lack of disabled access to Baldoyle Industrial Estate and FÁS, they replied as follows (in full):
    ”The access to/from Baldoyle Industrial Estate adjacent to Howth Junction/Donaghmede station was never intended as a right of way into the Railway Station. As you are aware the main entrance to Baldoyle Industrial is from Grange Road.”

They have blocked disabled access to the station from the FÁS centre where hundreds of people are trained and the industrial estate where hundreds of people work. The distance from the station to the FÁS Training Centre is 200m. From Howth Junction Station to the FÁS Training Centre via the Grange Road entrance is over 2km.

A copy of my objection is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭discosue

I haven't been there in the last 3 wks but previous to that 5 days a wk since it opened and while I have seen staff working there a few occassions it really hasn't been many at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Doesn't one of the rail link buses come from the airport to drop people off there?

I've seen dumbstruck tourists wandering about the place on more than one occasion... it's certainly not a great introduction to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Doesn't one of the rail link buses come from the airport to drop people off there?

I've seen dumbstruck tourists wandering about the place on more than one occasion... it's certainly not a great introduction to the city.
    Do you mean the now-defunct Aerdart service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Alun wrote:
    Do you mean the now-defunct Aerdart service?
    Ah that's the one... haha.. haven't been out that way in a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fiachs

icdg wrote:
    Whatever about Howth Junction, a far worse case I can see is Broombridge - the station is unmanned and in an absolute state of disrepair. Nobody seems to get on or off there, even in the middle of the morning or even peak at most one or two people seem to leave or enter the train, and I've known trains to stop, wait a few seconds, then depart there. There is graffiti abound and signs and other materials damaged.

... and it seems that it's always around this point that the train is struck with rocks. IE spent 30,000 (pounds) fixing it up a couple of years ago. when the construction workers were putting in the fixtures some kids were watching them and they said that they'd have the fixtures out in no time. the construction workers laughed and said they'd need a JCB, kids laughed back and said that they could get one. Sure enough....

Long term, IE were planning on closing the station in favour of one located closeby at that massive development that's out there. Dunno what the story is now though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement