Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ignorant Ryanair Staff !!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't understand all the people who say "You only paid 99c so you shouldn't expect to be treated well". If i go into a newsagents and buy the newspaper for 90c i wouldn't expect to be treated badly cos its not expensive. That logic makes no sense.
    Buying cheap flights = perfect allowance for you to be treated badly? :confused:

Anyway i would have asked to see her manager/make a complaint right then and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

More or less. It's no secret the way Ryanair does its business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I don't understand all the people who say "You only paid 99c so you shouldn't expect to be treated well". If i go into a newsagents and buy the newspaper for 90c i wouldn't expect to be treated badly cos its not expensive. That logic makes no sense.

Buying cheap flights = perfect allowance for you to be treated badly? :confused:
    Nothing excuses the apparent rude behaviour of the staff in question.
    But a no frills air line is exactly that. Don't expect them to bend over backwards because you couldn't read your itenary properly....and then try to claim they are in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Exactly. Most people's issues with Ryanair arise because they didn't read the terms & conditions of the airline's website. On that level, you can imagine what it's like for the staff's enforcing the rules... people coming up to you at the customer service desk with things like "My bag is only 32 kilos, I don't have to pay excess baggage with the other airlines", or: "Why won't you give me a hotel and meal voucher because my 99c flight is delayed due to fog".

That said, just general rudeness for the sake of it is not something I think Michael O'Leary would encourage. Using charm and charisma to get your way is one thing, being rude is quite another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Metrobest wrote:
    "Why won't you give me a hotel and meal voucher because my 99c flight is delayed due to fog".

The Low Fare Airline? I love that auld perception vs. reality B.S.

You can pay as much as €250 for the last 15 seats on one of their UK flights, usually the first 10 seats go for 99c.

The fact that they sell *a handful* of cheap seats at the start of every flight seems to make them think that this indemnifies them from any type of customer service.

...and good manners cost nothing. That not only goes for Ryanair but a handful of posters on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You can pay as much as €250 for the last 15 seats on one of their UK flights, usually the first 10 seats go for 99c.

The fact that they sell *a handful* of cheap seats at the start of every flight seems to make them think that this indemnifies them from any type of customer service.

There are at least 25x99c (thats the max one can book at any one time) seats available on the Stansted flight 16 Aug @ 21.45...;)

The same 25 would pay just under €70 each for a seat on the Stansted flight today @ 5pm. Thats the most expensive today.

In *most* people's experiences they are the cheaper option, certainly for those who travle regularly, and with a little advance notice. Regardless of the price, they are a low frills (should that be no frills) airline, so one should expect the restrictions mentioned by Metrobest. That doesn't excuse rude cumstomer "service" staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have flown extensively on Ryanair and I credit them for relieving us of the daylight robbery that was charged by Aer Lingus on the Glasgow - Dublin route before Ryanair got involved. Recently, I have found Aer Lingus to be very close to Ryanair for prices and I choose AL if the difference is about £20 or less because Ryanair fly into an airport that is far from Glasgow and they charge extra for bags.

Generally, I have found the Ryanair staff to be OK apart from one witch in Dublin Airport check-in a while ago who obviously got knocked back for a shag that morning as she was very obnoxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I have flown extensively on Ryanair and I credit them for relieving us of the daylight robbery that was charged by Aer Lingus on the Glasgow - Dublin route before Ryanair got involved. Recently, I have found Aer Lingus to be very close to Ryanair for prices and I choose AL if the difference is about £20 or less because Ryanair fly into an airport that is far from Glasgow and they charge extra for bags.

Generally, I have found the Ryanair staff to be OK apart from one witch in Dublin Airport check-in a while ago who obviously got knocked back for a shag that morning as she was very obnoxious.

Generally correct there Dub ...Aer Lingus did charge exhorbitant fares when they had a monopoly on that route...

A slight defence of the witch at check in....

After a couple of years processing smart asses/liggers/drunks/know alls/yobbos in Glasgow Celtic tops with missed connections to Cork/gobshooites who expect "the works" when flight are delayed despite getting the whole family away for 120 Euro..captains of industry who think they are in charge here too/smart ass students who look down on her....

Maybe she deservs to be cut a wee bit of slack.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Leslie 1

I wasn't going to post about this anymore but it looks like I am... firstly Padraig Mor, to say I'm too stupid to read my Tickets, I wrote before that all the computer said when I was booking my tickets was having to pay a baggage fee when you check in online IT DOES NOT STATE PAY €7.00 AT THE CHECK IN DESK, All I wanted to say was it would make so much more sense if they posted this on the booking form and not have to trawl through the whole of the terms and conditions, If I'm too stupid to read my tickets (which stated nothing about these charges on them) then so were the 30 odd other people ahead of me in the queue because not one of us were aware of it .

Etho... I did ask for the Manager there was none on duty, a supervisor was working but was unavailable (convenient) I phoned Ryanair I was transferred to several different departments, to be finally told that it is Ryanair's policy and good day.

Shiverineskimo.... there are many definitions for Common... to speak like a 'How ya' which is how I was spoken to.... to be rude and insulting which is how I was spoken to... under no circumstances should anyone in any public industry be allowed to use bad language and call customers names, I am not going into details of what the staff said, the fact is they were rude, extremely rude and if you think I'm obnoxious then you do not know anything about me, I am a nurse and I work in extreme conditions, I put in alot of hours and I am kept busy every day, I deal with the public from all walks of life and I can STILL keep a smile on my face and be polite to them, even when some of them can be drunk, rude, argumentative and some make sexual advances. I love my job and I am grateful for it, if someone does not like the industry they are in and find it painful; to be pleasant to customers then they should not be working with the public.

Cast Iron.. I made a comment on my first post about the charges, when the girl couldn't give me the time of day to explain about these charges and then walked off her check in desk because she said she was tired of the confrontation from passengers, that was really my argument that it could and would not be explained to me that there were extra charges and then to encounter further rudeness and insults from 2 other staff members. I had no problem paying €7.00 I was calm and polite when I queried the fee, I tried to explain and show my print out pointing out that there was nothing on the document, she did look (quickly) said "mmh, right" "it's €7.00 your just gonna have to pay it"
    From reading through all the posts alot of people have complaints to make about them, they have had their own bad experiences and then some people find them fantastic and the greatest airline, I think we should agree to disagree on this one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The same principle pretty much any airline operates on.

And while the first few seats may only be 99c, there are plenty of intermediate 1.99's 5.99's etc..
    firstly Padraig Mor, to say I'm too stupid to read my Tickets, I wrote before that all the computer said when I was booking my tickets was having to pay a baggage fee when you check in online IT DOES NOT STATE PAY €7.00 AT THE CHECK IN DESK

When booking the flights, you have to tick a box agreeing to the terms and conditions (which are hyperlinked, and take but one second to open and which fully informs the passenger about the charges). Now, if you just tick the box merrily without understanding what you are ticking, why is it Ryanair's fault?

Reading the T & C's, it seems quite clear to me:
    Ryanair wrote:
    # A Baggage Fee is charged for the carriage of each item of Checked Baggage. The Baggage Fee may be prepaid at the current discounted rate of £2.50/€3.50 per item of baggage/per one way flight when making your reservation on www.ryanair.com, or through a Ryanair call centre (up to 4 hours prior to scheduled flight departure time - subject to opening hours). If the Baggage Fee is paid at the airport, the full rate of £5/€7 per item of baggage/per one way flight is charged. Baby buggies, wheelchairs, scooters and walking frames are carried free of charge.

To be honest your experiences of bad customer service and your career are strike me as not nessecarily relevant in this case. You didn't read the rules, you didn't like them and queried them. Ryanair staff didn't give your complaint much time (surprisingly enough, with a flight load of people to check-in). Bless their little souls, they weren't all sunshine and roses about what was possibly case #232648478 of person not paying any heed to stuff they should.

Yes, they may have been rude, in your humble opinion, or the "common" folk may not have been. Again, not having been there at the time we only have your word to go on. However, the main lesson here seems to be a) read the terms and conditions of any airline booking you are about to make before making it. b) bring any issues you have regarding it to the airline's Customer Service department, not the check-in staff who are have countless better things to do than to have it out with those who dont read what they are getting into and c) make your choice to vote with your feet.

• Advertisement

Dublin Writer's gonna go spare...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Just back from a wedding in Spain. On departure from Dublin Airport, we had 2 large cases, for myself, my wife and 8year old. We were told are luggage was overweight and asked to pay €160 to travel. Luckily we had a large beach bag in one of he cases and transferred as much as we could into this bag but we were still charged €90 extra. We booked the flights in January. This became policy in March. On the way back we distributed the luggage evenly between the 3 bags and weren't charged anything. We were never notified of these charges. I'm fuming and haven't had any luck retrieving my money. No more Ryanair for me.

Just back from a wedding in Spain. On departure from Dublin Airport, we had 2 large cases, for myself, my wife and 8year old. We were told are luggage was overweight and asked to pay €160 to travel. Luckily we had a large beach bag in one of he cases and transferred as much as we could into this bag but we were still charged €90 extra. We booked the flights in January. This became policy in March. On the way back we distributed the luggage evenly between the 3 bags and weren't charged anything. We were never notified of these charges. I'm fuming and haven't had any luck retrieving my money. No more Ryanair for me.

What exactly did they tell you? How much did the bags weigh combined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

I've spent a good ten minutes reading this thread and it's clear as day that the people complaining about this and that are the ones that know very little about travelling but are too obnoxious to admit that some of it may be there own fault , lets just slag off ryanair instead.

drummerboy, you were charged for overweight baggage, not charged a baggage handling fee. There is a limit you know :eek:

and yer one that started this thread, you remind me of a guy sitting beside me on a ryanair flight once, he was boasting about gettting the flight for a pound, and was then shocked when he had to pay for a drink. ffs get a grip on reality, we'll take a pound off you and give you 2 pounds worth of free drink, even the simpest person could see the maths don't work there

the truth of the matter is you had an expectation and it wasn't met. your expectation was wrong in the first place so don't go looking for excuses. why do people expect to be treated like royalty when taking a half hour flight to england these days i do not know. Common curtesy however costs nothing but i'd still be suspicous that you were suffering a fit of paranoia after suffering the displeasure of having to pay for bags (a commonly known fact and cleary stated btw)

i'll give you a piece of advice, don't fly with ryanair again, it doesn't suit you.you pay cheap, you get cheap. i fly ryanair all the time and have done so so several times since the baggage handling fee was introduced and i see your type with stunned expressions every time because they didn't read the terms and conditions.is it ryanairs fault that you didn't. Should ryanair be the same as every other airline? Lets not try a bit of innovation:rolleyes: would you not get a bit pissed off having to tell people this all the time because they were too lazy to bother reading it. i see by your comments that you weren't even happy paying 185 quid, might i add for 3 people ffs, thats a steal. try paying 200 euro each way back in the 80's just to fly to london.

For every finger you point there are always three pointing back at you. fly aer lingus, much better service, you pay for what you get and i have a feeling you make sure you get it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it all comes back to the point that the staff don't need to be so rude! i work in a shop, and there are some things customers can't do, like signing instead of chip and pin. it costs me nothing to be polite, well mannered and courteous when explaining this to them. ryanair seem to think they're running letterfrack or something. most ryanair staff i've dealt with have a serious attitude problem which would cost them nothing to sort out, much worse than CIE's behaviour.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This became policy in March

I think you're mixing up two completely seperate issues here. The charge per checked piece of baggage came about in March. People pay the reduced €3.50 per bag at the time of booking/€7 at the airport. This is new, and only applies to bookings made after the introduction date. Bookings made prior to the introduction do not pay fees for checked baggage.

What you're describing is baggage over and above the baggage weight limits set by Ryanair. They've been charging for this for quite some time now, and again it's fairly well explained in their Terms & Conditions. As for the return journey, you were probably handled by a ground handling company on behalf of Ryanair, who may not have been as strict on baggage weight as Ryanair's own staff would be in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Generally correct there Dub ...Aer Lingus did charge exhorbitant fares when they had a monopoly on that route...
    Anyone with a monopoly will tend to charge exhorbitant fares.
    tippbhoy wrote:
    i fly ryanair all the time and have done so so several times since the baggage handling fee was introduced and i see your type with stunned expressions every time because they didn't read the terms and conditions.is it ryanairs fault that you didn't.
    Partially, the website could easily say "how many check-in bags are you bringing (note if you don't book these now it will cost 7 euro each at the airport)" in exactly the same way as it says "how many passengers" and there would be less confusion.

Leslie 1 wrote:
    I wasn't going to post about this anymore but it looks like I am... firstly Padraig Mor, to say I'm too stupid to read my Tickets, I wrote before that all the computer said when I was booking my tickets was having to pay a baggage fee when you check in online IT DOES NOT STATE PAY €7.00 AT THE CHECK IN DESK, All I wanted to say was it would make so much more sense if they posted this on the booking form and not have to trawl through the whole of the terms and conditions, If I'm too stupid to read my tickets (which stated nothing about these charges on them) then so were the 30 odd other people ahead of me in the queue because not one of us were aware of it .
    You say the charge wasn't on your ticket....it's a ticket - why should it. It's stated in the T&C's...which if you read, none of us would be here now! Simple fact is, you were at fault, they were rude - both in the wrong! Your ONLY valid complaint is about the rudeness you suffered, and you sufferred it ONLY because you didn't read the T&C's. So really, you caused the rudeness! Get over it and move on.
    Leslie 1 wrote:
    Etho... I did ask for the Manager there was none on duty, a supervisor was working but was unavailable (convenient) I phoned Ryanair I was transferred to several different departments, to be finally told that it is Ryanair's policy and good day.
    This contridicts most of your arguement. You rang the company to complain - fine. What did you complain about? Are you saying that they said "This is our policy" when you said you were treated so badly by a staff member. I wasn't there, but i doubt it. This seems like a response they would give to a complaint about the baggage charge (which is their policy).
    Leslie 1 wrote:
    Cast Iron.. I made a comment on my first post about the charges, when the girl couldn't give me the time of day to explain about these charges and then walked off her check in desk because she said she was tired of the confrontation from passengers, that was really my argument that it could and would not be explained to me that there were extra charges and then to encounter further rudeness and insults from 2 other staff members. I had no problem paying €7.00 I was calm and polite when I queried the fee, I tried to explain and show my print out pointing out that there was nothing on the document, she did look (quickly) said "mmh, right" "it's €7.00 your just gonna have to pay it"
    So she is expected to explain charges you couldnt read yourself...yes, in an ideal world.
    Well it appears they did explain to you the chages applied. But you still argued (as you state) that "it says nothing on the ticket about it".

Simple fact is, most of your points a riddled with inconsistencies, which makes most of your arguements incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To lighten things up a little

IMG_1059.jpg

Caption: "Would you call a baby hand buggage? Cold!"

http://www.rayfoley.net/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it's just ageist discrimination. they don't want poor little baby to have his travelling case with him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Leslie 1

Well at least I know now how to address people, from reading the latest posts it seems just fine and ok to be completely rude to anyone and everyone. I thought this forum was for comments from personal experiences, all I wanted to do was share my experience mainly to get it off my chest, however I'd rather deal with 10 Ryanair crew than some of you.

As for you Buffybot. When you open the terms and conditions it brings up ALL their rules the whole 13 sections and the 128 questions and answers... but you being an expert you'd already know this, now because I was unaware of these changes to the baggage section how am I meant to know to go straight to the rules on baggage it means reading through the whole of the terms & conditions to find changes made within the airline... and for your information I printed out my tickets and the rules were printed with them I have read them 100's of times and there is nothing about these charges, may have had something to do with the time I booked. The reason I blame Ryanair mainly is because of the attitude, the rudeness and the language used. I asked the girl what the charges were and how much, SHE was the one who took it all wrong, SHE was the one who saw there was NOTHING in my print out about the charges on my TICKET and the TERMS AND CONDITIONS, SHE stormed off. Not me I was left standing there because she couldn't handle her job and was fed up explaining to customers.
    In 'my humble opinion' I do regard the service I received unacceptable, to name call and the use of bad language is totally unacceptable you may be use to being spoken to in this manner. Well I'm not.

Tippbhoy... or shall I call you 'Yer Man' read the post again my complaint is about the attitude and rudeness, I did mention the price and said that it was FINE maybe you don't read things thoroughly. I did not and do not expect to be treated like royalty, I expect to be treated like a human being.
    I don't need your advice not to travel with them again; I already made my mind up not to.
    What's all this c**p about my type, you only know what you read on this board, if the check in staff (the front line of the company.... The representatives) can't be bothered to explain and help customers they shouldn't be in their jobs.

Cast Iron. How the hell did I cause the ruddeness, ALL I asked was What the charge was for and how much was it... can I not even ask this, it wasn't like I grabbed her by the throath and screamed in her face, I asked a simple question. I did not know about the charge and the first thing she said after she looked at our passports was that's €7.00 what was I suppose to do just say ah yeah I'll give you €7.00 and not ask why I'm giving it to you, I posted a copy of my print out of the terms and it was said that they are different to what is being received now. When I asked for a supervisor to complain about the rudeness there was none available, when I rang Ryanair it was to querie my printout which said nothing about the €7.00 charge only a charge for check in online, I did make a separate complaint about the rudeness to someone else, there was two different departments dealing with my queries. But maybe if you read the post thoroughly as you are such an expert at this also you will find that there are no inconsistencies, why the hell would I make this up?? Jesus you have a sad life if you are analysing all the post hoping to catch someone out... SO Why don't you get over it and stop reading the posts if it' irritating you that much. Or better still, go fly with your buddies on Ryanair you can be all rude together...

It’s my last post and I’ll be deleting my name from this forum, I only wanted to express my opinion like many others and now I have found myself lowering myself to their level, To the people that were civil and expressed their opinions... thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wow...

calm down there Leslie.

TBH, I can't stand Ryanair and i can tell you tales much worse than your own but you have to take a bit of criticism on a forum like this....there are over 60 000 users and the odds are a good few of them will not agree with you. NO MATTER WHAT!

Even if you have a valid complaint (I think you do wrt the rudeness but i believe you were defo in the wrong wrt not knowing the baggage rules (which are completely shitty imo), people will point out the errors of your ways and/or just try to irk you as you seem to rise to the bait.

Stick around....boards is a useful resourse and decent community once you get to know how it works.

I have read and accept Ryanair's terms and conditions, photo ID policy and the above fare rules and I will advise all other passengers travelling as part of this reservation of these conditions.

(Please check box to continue.)

Nothing more needs to be said.

Leslie 1 wrote:
    Well at least I know now how to address people, from reading the latest posts it seems just fine and ok to be completely rude to anyone and everyone. I thought this forum was for comments from personal experiences, all I wanted to do was share my experience mainly to get it off my chest, however I'd rather deal with 10 Ryanair crew than some of you.
    In 'my humble opinion' I do regard the service I received unacceptable, to name call and the use of bad language is totally unacceptable you may be use to being spoken to in this manner. Well I'm not.
    Out of the large number of post on this thread, i'm not sure (tho cudn't b bothered to reread any of it) that a single poster said the rudeness was acceptable, myself included.
    Leslie 1 wrote:
    Cast Iron. How the hell did I cause the ruddeness
    Read thewrecklessone's last post.
    You caused it by not reading the T&C's. If you had done so, the incident wouldn't have happened. That's doesn't necessarily say you were at fault! For the record, i never read them either. (But i don't consider it unfair if i get caught out by something i couldnt be bothered to read)
    Leslie 1 wrote:
    But maybe if you read the post thoroughly as you are such an expert at this also you will find that there are no inconsistencies, why the hell would I make this up?? Jesus you have a sad life if you are analysing all the post hoping to catch someone out... SO Why don't you get over it and stop reading the posts if it' irritating you that much. Or better still, go fly with your buddies on Ryanair you can be all rude together...
    I'm no expert on anything, nor do i claim to be. You are the only one gtting irritated so much.
    And i'm sorry to dissapoint you, but i don't have a sad life - i'm a happy guy who works hard and plays harder. Though thanks for the rude remark. Hmmm....maybe you could get a job on Ryanair check-in desk.:D
    Leslie 1 wrote:
    It’s my last post and I’ll be deleting my name from this forum, I only wanted to express my opinion like many others and now I have found myself lowering myself to their level, To the people that were civil and expressed their opinions... thank you
    I'm sorry to read that. I gotta say, the more you typed, the more sense i made of what you were saying. Perhaps in your initial posts you weren't clear enough in what you said. Your last post cleared up some important points in your arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Leslie 1 wrote:
    When you open the terms and conditions it brings up ALL their rules the whole 13 sections and the 128 questions and answers... I was unaware of these changes to the baggage section how am I meant to know to go straight to the rules on baggage it means reading through the whole of the terms & conditions to find changes made within the airline... and for your information I printed out my tickets and the rules were printed with them I have read them 100's of times and there is nothing about these charges, .....NOTHING in my print out about the charges on my TICKET and the TERMS AND CONDITIONS,

You say that you knew nothing about the charges, yet earlier you state that:
    Leslie 1 wrote:
    I read all they had printed on the booking page which is as follows:

Important Reminders for checked-in baggage
    Checked Baggage may be pre-booked at the current discounted rate of £2.50/€3.50 per bag per sector.
    The personal allowance for Checked Baggage is 20kg per person (no infant allowance). ......................................................................From reading this I assumed that you pay when you check in ONLINE,
    Does the word 'discounted' not jump out at you there? Did you really think that they'd ask you to pay for bags online yet check them in free on the day? By your own admission this is printed on your 'ticket', not buried somewhere on their website. It's in plain English - it's not Ryanair's fault you didn't read/understand it. Everyone here has said that if you were treated rudely it was unacceptable yet you run off sulking now because people pointed out that the original mistake was your own. For the record - I will be travelling with Ryanair soon with bags that will probably be overweight yet I won't come on here complaining if they charge me as I've read their terms.

Someone ask Aer Rianta or the DAA, or whatever they call themselves for the CCTV footage for that morning..... tweak up the sound and focus on the Ryanair desks..... We can all judge then....until we do that..well as Ed Hobbs would say..... It's a polyemic.....

Someone ask Aer Rianta or the DAA, or whatever they call themselves

You mean you don't know? Tsk...

Everyone here has said that if you were treated rudely it was unacceptable yet you run off sulking now because people pointed out that the original mistake was your own.
    In fairness, she didn't run off sulking anywhere.
    Though, i do think her complaint is somewhat valid - her treatment by staff - i note she still has not acknowledged the fact simply put, it wouldn't have happened if she read the T&C's and she hasn't accepted any responsibility fot this - even if it wasn't jumping out of the page at her.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlutterinBantam
    Someone ask Aer Rianta or the DAA, or whatever they call themselves

You mean you don't know? Tsk...

Oh I know all right.... They seem to have an identity crisis

• Advertisement
Advertisement