Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government: why u no like tacos?

• 25-03-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

Reportedly unmanned mini-helicopter drones are being tested to deliver tacos:
    Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!

It's an unmanned drone helicopter shooting a taco from space down at you and your colleagues during lunchtime!

The Internet is going wild for Tacocopter, perhaps the next great startup out of Silicon Valley, which boasts a business plan that combines four of the most prominent touchstones of modern America: tacos, helicopters, robots and laziness.

Indeed, the concept behind Tacocopter is very simple, and very American: You order tacos on your smartphone and also beam in your GPS location information. Your order -- and your location -- are transmitted to an unmanned drone helicopter (grounded, near the kitchen where the tacos are made), and the tacocopter is then sent out with your food to find you and deliver your tacos to wherever you're standing.

You pay online, so the tacos are simply dropped off at your feet by the drone helicopter, which then flies back to the restaurant to pick up its next order.

Genius, I say! But apparently the federal government isn't crazy about taco drones buzzing around cities. As one of the inventors noted:
    "Honestly I think it's not totally unreasonable to regulate something as potentially dangerous as having flying robots slinging tacos over people's heads ... [O]n the other hand, it's a little bit ironic that that's the case in a country where you can be killed by drone with no judicial review."

Boo government! I for one welcome our new taco robot overlords.

Would you be interested in ordering takeout delivery from a robot/drone in the future? Or is this just one more step towards Skynet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Itd certainly cut down on deaths amongst lost mountain climbers I guess.
    What if I want a burger though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why stop at tacos? I would order the fondant filling from creme eggs for all of my friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It will never get off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jesus, I could go for a taco right now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Jesus, I could go for a taco right now.
    And I would interfere with the GPS on your taco delivery and eat all your tacos, before proudly displaying the helicopter to the international community, with a taco smear down the side of my grinning mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    And I would interfere with the GPS on your taco delivery and eat all your tacos, before proudly displaying the helicopter to the international community, with a taco smear down the side of my grinning mouth.

Whaaaa......?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Taco-seeking missiles, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Whaaaa......?
    Going for a topical Iran reference there... also I'm hungry and can't be bothered with making a toasted cheese and onion sandwich... I want tacos. Bring me tacos!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Really, there's no-where in the states to buy food? No-where that delivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Any aircraft violating airspace will be fired upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Looks like Loaves and Fishes
    or Manna from heaven to me. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Terry wrote: »

Wow, that is amazing. Plus they are beautiful.
    We have built a flock of GPS enabled quadcopter drones from components that were originally intended for aerial reconnaissance and police surveillance to create this flying pirate file sharing network. The drones are autonomous and drift above the public spaces of the city as a balletic interactive aerial choreography. Part nomadic infrastructure and part robotic swarm we have rebuilt and programmed the drones to broadcast their own local wifi network as a form of aerial Napster. They swarm into formation, broadcasting their pirate network, and then disperse, escaping detection, only to reform elsewhere.

The public can upload files, photos and share data with one another as the drones float above the significant public spaces of the city. The swarm becomes a pirate broadcast network, a mobile infrastructure that passers-by can interact with. It is a site specific file sharing hub, a temporary, emergent online community where content and information is exchanged across the drone network. When on location, a visitor can log onto the drone network with their phones and laptops. When the audience interacts with the drones they glow with vibrant colours, they break formation, they are called over and their flight pattern becomes more dramatic and expressive. Impromptu augmented communities form around the glowing flock. Their aerial dance and dynamic glowing formations give visual expression to the digital communities of the city.

Advertisement