Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Commerce site Vs E-Commerce software

Options
  • 20-11-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been trying to decide between purchasing/ renting a software package such as shopfactory.co.uk, or using an online platform such as Shopify or BluePark.

Pros/ Cons?

Shopfactory seems to be cheaper and I suppose you wouldn't need internet connection to modify your site.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Firstly there seems to be no site at shopfactory.co.uk

And secondly I don't know of any way to administer a website without being connected to the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

sorry shopfactory.com

and wouldn't it be a case of working on the website 'offline' or within the software platform and then once connected uploading it to publish and update the online presentation?

I'll be honest with you ShopFactory looks as dodgy as a three pound note.

The site just looks totally unprofessional and that alone would make me cautious. I've also never heard of it.

And a quick look at the developer guide (pdf) shows that it was last updated in 2011.

Depending on your needs/requirements I think you would be better using a known platform such as Shopify, BigCommerce, Lemonstand or Highwire.

Hope that helps.

Thats a big thing I hadn't noticed devildriver, that it was updated last in 2011. A lot has happened in 4 years. I actually like the look of BluePark.co.uk, they are UK based which is closer geographically than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Are you looking to use just PayPal on the website or are you looking to have an overview of your customer's transactions?

• Advertisement

Thats a big thing I hadn't noticed devildriver, that it was updated last in 2011. A lot has happened in 4 years. I actually like the look of BluePark.co.uk, they are UK based which is closer geographically than the others.

Again I don't really know BluePark but there website certainly inspires more confidence than ShopFactory.

Personally I wouldn't be that concerned about finding a company that is geographically close unless you are buying a totally custom development. Any of the companies that sell ecommerce packages on a SAAS basis will have a web-based support system so it will make little difference where they are as long as they are properly staffed with 24/7 support.

A company with 24/7 - 365 support in the US is better than a UK company that operates 9-5 IMHO.

If you start with your products as the base level you should be able to build up a spec of what you need in an ecommerce site and find a service / provider that closely matches those criteria.

Go-Ecommerce anyone?

Go-Ecommerce anyone?

If you are looking for recommendations it would be helpful to give us some details about your products and customers first.

Asking about random ecommerce sites is not really going to get you anywhere.

For example:

- What type of products are you selling, consumer electronics, clothing, craft etc?
    - Where are you selling to, Ireland, UK, Europe, worldwide?
    - How many products do you have - do they have variable sizes colours, weights etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

And secondly I don't know of any way to administer a website without being connected to the web.
    You could pitch a tent and live in the server farm...

Advertisement