Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I want us to sign Joe Allen from Swansea.

He's going to be superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone reckon we could get fletcher from wolves... looks a decent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

DrumSteve wrote: »

I mentioned him at the weekend as a possibility.

He happens to be a Liverpool fan so I'd say he'd jump at the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

daithijjj wrote: »
    Arses on seats isnt really the money spinner, its the corporate side. Think its something like 10k for a corporate 'box' for a matchday. I have infinitely more faith in who we have running the show now than i have ever had in the past anyway.

And what Liverpool based businesses are going to fork out that kind of money ?

Does it have to be a Liverpool based business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can't believe the lad is only 24. At first I thought it's w waste even thinking about it as he must be 30+.

5166.jpg?1326270512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Who says they have to be Liverpool based? The fan base are far from all Liverpool based, and (I'm guessing here) I'd assume that those in the private boxes at Old Trafford are far from all Manchester based. The current one's in Anfield are £60k/yr, and given its been said that there's currently not near enough, you can be sure there's some sort of waiting list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Can't believe the lad is only 24. At first I thought it's w waste even thinking about it as he must be 30+.
    Wow, I certainly had him at at least late 20s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Liverpool based businesses?, that's not very 'visionary' is it?. Friend of mine, her old man had a pretty decent job and the company paid for all of them to go to a game back in early naughties, they were flown in from all over, Japan, New York etc, none of them were from Liverpool, they would have paid for a box no bother at that price, especially when you throw in free tickets, grub and gargle.

Obviously you would grade the price dependent on matchdays. And none of that would include weddings, conference meetings etc. You would have an events team in place so these rooms would be open 7 days a week if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Has that knack of being in the right place at the right time!

As for overall play, not really up to the standard.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Who says they have to be Liverpool based? The fan base are far from all Liverpool based, and (I'm guessing here) I'd assume that those in the private boxes at Old Trafford are far from all Manchester based. The current one's in Anfield are £60k/yr, and given its been said that there's currently not near enough, you can be sure there's some sort of waiting list

I'm pretty sure there isn't a waiting list on corporate boxes, there's a couple of empty ones at Anfield presently which can be hired on a match to match basis.

And the new stadium has serious white elephant potential. Ticket prices at the moment are right at that tipping point where it's borderline too expensive to pay for what's on show. We stopped selling out towards the end of Rafa's reign, it worsened under Hodgson after a bit too. Attendance, and the season ticket list might not be such a strong base for us to decide to increase the size of the stadium. And given the cost to us, we won't see any serious financial benefit from the stadium for about 20 years until it's loans are paid off.

In a climate where the technological advances are making it more possible and a more pleasant experience to watch games at home than it once was it's possible that the stadium might ultimately have no benefit for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

K-9 wrote: »
    Has that knack of being in the right place at the right time!

As for overall play, not really up to the standard.
    the first bit being something we could definitely do with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is no way Wolves will sell him as he is keeping them viable this season, nothing to suggest he wants to leave or that Liverpool want him. Anyway the 10-12 million he'd cost could be spent just as effectively elsewhere I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Fletcher = Premiership Proven

Does it have to be a Liverpool based business?

No, but typically it's businesses with a local base that buy corporate boxes so they can treat staff and impress business partners.

It's true worldwide.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

No, but typically it's businesses with a local base that buy corporate boxes so they can treat staff and impress business partners.

It's true worldwide.

Anything concrete to back that up?

Or have you made an assumption and conveyed it with authority to make it sound true?

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Anything concrete to back that up?

Or have you made an assumption and conveyed it with authority to make it sound true?

You won't get anything more concrete than having a look around the stadiums yourself.

the first bit being something we could definitely do with

I think he benefits from Wolves getting players in the box and scavenging of the mayhem that ensues! We'd need to create the mayhem in the first place for him to profit. With Suarez back shortly it could work but again, we'd need Gerrard or Shelvey around the penalty area too causing bother for the opposition. Not like the last day were Adam was the only one doing it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a waiting list on corporate boxes, there's a couple of empty ones at Anfield presently which can be hired on a match to match basis.

And the new stadium has serious white elephant potential. Ticket prices at the moment are right at that tipping point where it's borderline too expensive to pay for what's on show. We stopped selling out towards the end of Rafa's reign, it worsened under Hodgson after a bit too. Attendance, and the season ticket list might not be such a strong base for us to decide to increase the size of the stadium. And given the cost to us, we won't see any serious financial benefit from the stadium for about 20 years until it's loans are paid off.

In a climate where the technological advances are making it more possible and a more pleasant experience to watch games at home than it once was it's possible that the stadium might ultimately have no benefit for us.

Well I'm basing the demand on what I was told when I went on the stadium tour with the nephew earlier on in the year. The lad doing the tour specifically mentioned the need for far more boxes, which is in line with what has often been cited as one of the current issues with Anfield

I'd certainly agree about ticket prices, and I reckon the reason current prices are sustainable is because of people travelling distances to matches. Given many have to pay for flights/train/ferry/petrol etc to attend, plus possibly a hotel, a price change in the region of £10 is unlikely to effect the decision to attend in most cases, as its only a small difference relative to the overall cost of attending. The likelihood is too, that for the majority its not a biweekly occurrence

However for those living locally, a price change of £10 relatively speaking is a far greater increase, as it would essentially be a 25% increase in the overall cost of attending a game, hence the demand locally for tickets is far more dependent upon the price then the demand from further afield would be

As you say, the demand for tickets is inherently linked to success on the field, and if the club aren't successful, a new stadium could struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All the executive boxes are booked until the April 7th match against Villa. Not only that but the financial benefit won't come in 20 years, it will come nearly straight away. I really can't see a situation when football games are played with no fans there either.

It's not a fair apples to apples comparison but the Emirates, which also holds in or around the 60K mark, supposedly has 152 corporate boxes.

• Advertisement

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Well I'm basing the demand on what I was told when I went on the stadium tour with the nephew earlier on in the year. The lad doing the tour specifically mentioned the need for far more boxes, which is in line with what has often been cited as one of the current issues with Anfield

I'd certainly agree about ticket prices, and I reckon the reason current prices are sustainable is because of people travelling distances to matches. Given many have to pay for flights/train/ferry/petrol etc to attend, plus possibly a hotel, a price change in the region of £10 is unlikely to effect the decision to attend in most cases, as its only a small difference relative to the overall cost of attending. The likelihood is too, that for the majority its not a biweekly occurrence

However for those living locally, a price change of £10 relatively speaking is a far greater increase, as it would essentially be a 25% increase in the overall cost of attending a game, hence the demand locally for tickets is far more dependent upon the price then the demand from further afield would be

As you say, the demand for tickets is inherently linked to success on the field, and if the club aren't successful, a new stadium could struggle

And if you factor in the changes to the sales of tickets making it more difficult to obtain tickets for single matches, you reduce the number of less price sensitive customers you're selling to.

It's not a fair apples to apples comparison but the Emirates, which also holds in or around the 60K mark, supposedly has 152 corporate boxes.

And its based in one of the world's business capitals. It has a much bigger local corporate market than we would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

And if you factor in the changes to the sales of tickets making it more difficult to obtain tickets for single matches, you reduce the number of less price sensitive customers you're selling to.

You have to assume the the driver for this is demand.

You would also have to assume that you sort of evidence as to that demand would have to be provided as part of the business case required in order to secure financing - especially these days.

And its based in one of the world's business capitals. It has a much bigger local corporate market than we would have.
    Which is why I said it wasn't a fair apples to apples comparison.

It's true worldwide.

This simply is not true, unless by local you mean UK. They may have a local 'arm' but may not be locally 'based'. Clearly i wouldn't be privy to the kinds of people who do buy corporate but it typically consists of a wide range of businesses from big corporates to local business (as in Liverpool based).

Id imagine we wouldnt be too far off the same demographic as Manchester United in terms of ratio. When the Glazers took that fan to court, he had listed over 400 clients who regularly bought hospitality. That ranged from Vodafone to the local Flower shop or whatever small business you can think of.

The reason for that disclosure was to put pressure on those clients as those hospitality clients accounted for 50% of matchday revenue.

But that is London and there are obvious huge differences to the corporate market. If the club gets back in the CL I'd say we offer a massive draw, for normal league matches, we'd be doing well to match Arsenal.

Overall I think the 60,000 mark is about right, 75,000 was H&G and their delusions of grandeur. 60,000 should sell out more often than not, less boxes, more intimate, costs less, it just makes more sense when the emotional fan element is taken out.

I'm sure we'd all love a 75,000 stadium. I'd prefer a full stadium and more money for transfers and not going on Loan Interest interest and fees. The club has just gotten out of that mess, I don't want to see that again, or minimised at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's true worldwide.

I take it then that you do realise that the UK core city (outside of London) that has the highest % of public service jobs compared to private sector ones is Liverpool?

And that in other cities in the UK it is often various Public sector companies that hire out boxes at the top footy ground along with private companies like Debenhams who use boxes for competition winners, staff nights etc?

So on that side of things if there were loads of new boxes available, there would be no shortage of british takers.

But I am curious where you came up with Liverpool FC having most of it's executive boxes being hired by local (as in Liverpool based) businesses. More often than not the Liverpool executive boxes are used by people from outside of Liverpool and it has been that way for a long time now. The Scouse accent is defo in the minority amongst those in the executive boxes, and if there were a hundred new boxes in the morning I reckon the exact same pattern would continue.

Kess73 wrote: »
    And that in other cities in the UK it is often various Public sector companies that hire out boxes at the top footy ground along with private companies like Debenhams who use boxes for competition winners, staff nights etc?

I'm very surprised to hear that public sector companies hire boxes regularly. I would have assumed with how things are, that the public sector companies would specifically want to avoid been seen to spend money on that sort of thing

Shame FAS got found out, I'm sure they'd have taken a few boxes :pac:

Remember Arsenal were lucky enough they were selling apartments in a property bubble. Even then I think they had to discount them to get quick money in. I'd be wary of comparisons to Arsenal tbh.

Sustainable growth is what FSG are about. I'm sure they've gone through all these scenarios. If they thought a 75,000 seater stadium would be more financially viable, they'd have gone for it. Assuming the press are right!

If the 75k option turned out to be a mistake we'd all be moaning about the huge stadium debt and not affording transfers. It could cripple the club and people saying we should be looking at 20 years time could well be right, for the wrong reasons!

Kess73 wrote: »
    I take it then that you do realise that the UK core city (outside of London) that has the highest % of public service jobs compared to private sector ones is Liverpool?

So on that side of things if there were loads of new boxes available, there would be no shortage of british takers.

But I am curious where you came up with Liverpool FC having most of it's executive boxes being hired by local (as in Liverpool based) businesses. More often than not the Liverpool executive boxes are used by people from outside of Liverpool and it has been that way for a long time now. The Scouse accent is defo in the minority amongst those in the executive boxes, and if there were a hundred new boxes in the morning I reckon the exact same pattern would continue.

I was at a couple of games myself for 'work' years ago. Most of us were 3 sheets to the wind by the time the game was on (part of the prawn sandwich brigade). Company headquarters in Birmingham, outing organised from London, games watched, Leeds United at Elland Road. I dont even remember the opposition they played to be honest. Id guestimate alot of boxes get filled this way, not one Leeds fan amongst us, group of about 25-30. One a month was being organised. Gives a tiny idea of what and who gets into hospitality :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭GBX

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-and-warrior-announcement
    LFC and Warrior announcement

The deal, which will come into play from June 1st 2012, will see Warrior create the Liverpool FC home, away and third kits, as well as their training wear for the next six years.

Owned by Boston based New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc., the move represents the starting point in Warrior Sports' global football journey partnering with one of the biggest club sides in the history of world football. Warrior Sports recognises the heritage of Liverpool FC and has employed industry experts in design, development, marketing and implementation to ensure that the brand has the best people on hand to support the Partnership.

Richard Wright, General Manager for Warrior Sports comments: "At Warrior Sports we pride ourselves on high performance and an incredible desire to win. Our Partnership with Liverpool FC, a football institution and recognised brand name across the world, is the perfect fit. Warrior Sports has ventured into football to bring our knowledge of making top level product to a new playing field. We are not the sort of brand that is going to keep our head down. We are here to shake up the world of football and our Partnership with one of the most successful club teams of all time is just the start."

Ian Ayre, Managing Director of Liverpool Football Club, added: "Liverpool FC is thrilled to be able to announce this fantastic Partnership with Warrior Sports for the 2012-2013 Barclays Premier League season onwards. This is another landmark deal for Liverpool Football Club and once again shows the value of the Club's brand globally. Warrior Sports will bring its own unique brand and ideas to the Partnership, ensuring that they can assist us at the Club both on and off the field of play. Sharing the same focus of domination and winning will be an incredibly important part of this Partnership going forward. As with all our Partnerships we have taken time to form a relationship with the individuals behind this opportunity. I believe that Warrior have some outstanding people we can work closely with to continue to deliver quality products to our fans around the world."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

daithijjj wrote: »
    I was at a couple of games myself for 'work' years ago. Most of us were 3 sheets to the wind by the time the game was on (part of the prawn sandwich brigade). Company headquarters in Birmingham, outing organised from London, games watched, Leeds United at Elland Road. I dont even remember the opposition they played to be honest. Id guestimate alot of boxes get filled this way, not one Leeds fan amongst us, group of about 25-30. One a month was being organised. Gives a tiny idea of what and who gets into hospitality :pac:

Exactly. Most executive boxes don't even have hardcore supporters of the club
    in them, let alone locals.

Mind you at Elland Road you were probably better off up in one of the boxes with your back to the game.:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Blatter wrote: »
    I've never seen the word though appear so many times in one post, that must be some sort of record!:pac:

Anyway, nevermind me. Carry on:p

I was inspired by the Jay Spearing 'obviously' clip posted the other day, and my other scouse influence from the Harry Enfield show "they do though, don't they though".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Going out on a limb here, I think we should move the club to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Going out on a limb here, I think we should move the club to London.

Nah, that would never work. Move it to Dublin instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

LIVERPOOL FC are set to complete an £850,000 deal for highly-rated Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Carlos Teixeira.

Talks are at an advanced stage for one of Portugal’s hottest prospects and Liverpool FC hope to conclude the transfer over the next few days.

no quotes though

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/01/19/liverpool-fc-agree-deal-for-portuguese-prospect-joao-carlos-teixeira-from-sporting-lisbon-100252-30154108/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

5starpool wrote: »
    I was inspired by the Jay Spearing 'obviously' clip posted the other day, and my other scouse influence from the Harry Enfield show "they do though, don't they though".

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

jebidiah wrote: »

Seems to be all over the net, a number of sources reporting it. Supposedly the 'new Deco'.

Anyone know anything about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

5starpool wrote: »

that's classic dublinese: "dey do do dat dough don't dey?"

robbie keane is the king of "obviously"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GBX wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-and-warrior-announcement
    LFC and Warrior announcement

The deal, which will come into play from June 1st 2012, will see Warrior create the Liverpool FC home, away and third kits, as well as their training wear for the next six years.

Adidas fired their parting shot claiming Liverpool's on pitch performance didn't match the demands they made Adidas regarding the amount they were to receive in sponsorship.Liverpool reckoned that their name alone should be enough to carry the burden and not how they do on the field.A bit arrogant from Liverpool imo,just look at how many kids jumped on the Chelsea bandwagon and City will be the same.A club cannot live on history alone,these days the numbers men want on-field success instantly and don't care about heritage & history.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7441620/Even-Reds-Kit-Deal-Causes-An-Argument
    However, Adidas chief executive Herbert Hainer claimed that Liverpool's asking price and their on-pitch performance did not match up.

"We thought what Liverpool were asking and what they were delivering was not in the right balance," he is quoted as saying in The Daily Mirror.

"There was a gap between their performance on the field and what the numbers should be.

"It all depends on the success and the effort and the popularity, the exposure on TV and revenue you can generate by merchandising.

"This all has to be brought in line between what you offer and what you get. We thought what Liverpool were asking was not... right, then we said we will not do it - that's the end of the story."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

zerks wrote: »
    Adidas fired their parting shot claiming Liverpool's on pitch performance didn't match the demands they made Adidas regarding the amount they were to receive in sponsorship.Liverpool reckoned that their name alone should be enough to carry the burden and not how they do on the field.A bit arrogant from Liverpool imo,just look at how many kids jumped on the Chelsea bandwagon and City will be the same.A club cannot live on history alone,these days the numbers men want on-field success instantly and don't care about heritage & history.

TBH that is just Adidas PR spin on why they lost one of their most lucrative football shirt deals!

damiencomolli1 damien comolli (not)
    .....The Konch will also be resigning if we don't reach 100,000 signatures. Be warned! #lfc

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7441620/Even-Reds-Kit-Deal-Causes-An-Argument

If you want to believe all that go ahead

This is old news but has just resurfaced this week amazingly.

amiable wrote: »
    If you want to believe all that go ahead

This is old news but has just resurfaced this week amazingly.

I knew they were changing shirt makes but a bit odd that Adidas decided to come out with this.

Must be after seeing how Carroll is doing:pac:

I knew they were changing shirt makes but a bit odd that Adidas decided to come out with this.

Must be after seeing how Carroll is doing:pac:

Well it couldn't be to do with a new competitor came in and outbid them now could it?

• Advertisement

Well it couldn't be to do with a new competitor came in and outbid them now could it?

Nice bit of business by John W. Henry,getting a hometown(Boston) based company on board.I'm sure he made a few bob there himself....to the conspiracy theories thread:p

Nice bit of business by John W. Henry,getting a hometown(Boston) based company on board.I'm sure he made a few bob there himself....to the conspiracy theories thread:p

He's not Alex Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Adidas need to explain why they lost their 2nd best shirt sales deal - http://www.soccerbible.com/news/football-shirts/archive/2010/09/02/world-s-best-selling-club-football-shirts.aspx

Best defence is offence :)

He's not Alex Ferguson

Yeah,he actually owns Nike and the FA if some Liverpool fans were to be believed:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Warrior deal was done in April 2011.

Welcome to the internet :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement