Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Congrats on your wife's pegnancy mmalaka!
    What your wife is experiencing is called morning sickness, and it can happen with any pregnancy, not just the first. Some say it is a good sign as it means lots of pregnancy hormones in your wife's body.

Eating small meals regularly helps, and if she feels ill in the morning, bring her a cup of tea and a bit of toast or dry biscuits before she gets up, that can help. Also taking a vitamin B6 tablet and eating ginger is said to help the nausea, and you can buy magnetic seabands (agains travel sickness as well as morning sickness) in pharmacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Thank u Silja

Is it called morning sickness coz it should only happened in morning??

my wife feels this all the time not only in the morning...

we r going to the GP tomorrow for the first time after that test. perhaps he can give us something for this

we live in kilcock any advice for a hospital?

It is usually worst in the morning, but not always- for me, it was worst in late afternoon, probably because that is when I had the longest gap between food. I doubt the GP will give her anything unless she throws up so much that she is de-hydrated, as there are few medicines which are totally proven safe in pegnancy.

I don't know the area you live, but I'd recommend finding out which hospital is closest to you, and considering that one, or if you wife works outside the home, maybe one near where she works would suit so she doesn't have too far to go for appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Hello to all the new mums/dads 2 b :)
    It's been a while since I've been online. I've done my twin antenatal classes which were through the local multiple birth club so it was great to meet other twin expectant parents.
    Both babies are doing relatively well. At my 28wk scan one of them was measuring 150gs (820gs and 970gs) lighter than the other and also has reduced fluid in the sac also. So I'm now on weekly doppler scans (to measure the blood flow and the fluid) and fortnightly growth scans to monitor the growth.
    My growth scan on Friday said that they're now weighing about 1100gs and 1300gs which has been a healthy gain. However the fluid has been very slowly reducing over the last 2 weeks.
    I'm still getting strong movements from both babies so I'm just being monitored more closely for the moment.

I've another appointment / scan on monday to review things so hopefully we'll have a better idea of what's going on then.

On the good side the lead twin is head down so if I do manage to make it to 'full term' then I'll be able to have a normal delivery. However if they do decide that the smaller baby is at risk before then it'll be straight for C-Section.

I've also finished up work as rest is about all I can do to keep these babies in for longer :)
    I was going to continue part time through Jan but once I'd made the decision to finish up, my motivation & energy levels reduced dramatically.
    Thankfully it's summer where I am so I'm looking forward to a nice few weeks relaxing. As long as it doesn't get too hot!

Hope everyone has a great relaxing Christmas.
    mmalaka, I hope your wife is still able to enjoy the gluttony that is part of Christmas despite her morning sickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0101/baby.html?rss

Tralee girl is first born in 2008
    Tuesday, 1 January 2008 19:21

The first baby delivered through a natural birth in 2008 was born in Kerry General Hospital in Tralee.

Mother Amanda O'Connell from Tralee gave birth to a girl at one second past midnight. The baby weighed 6lbs 13oz.

Another baby was born at the same time through Cesarean Section at the Cork University Maternity Hospital. Tomas Kowalcztk weighed 6lbs 15oz. His mother Agnieszka and father Kamil live in Blarney in Co Cork.
    Advertisement

The first boy born through a natural birth was delivered in the Midlands Regional Hospital in Mullingar at 12.20am this morning. His parents are Barbara and Keith Dunne from Mullingar.

The first baby born in Dublin was born at the National Maternity Hospital in Holles Street at 12.55am. The boy, who has yet to be given a name, weighed under 8lbs. His mother is Catherine Magee from Co Dublin.

So c-sections are "un natural"??? But let's not discuss this here, after that long and explosive other thread...

Had my twin research u/s and regular appointment with the consultant today (32 weeks 4 days). The doctor I looked very good for being 32 weeks with twins, and had remarkably few negative pregnancy symptoms. Wilbur is still head down, quite deep in the pelvis but not yet engaged, and weighs 4 pounds 6 ounces, whereas Robyn is oblique breech (with her bum in Wilbur's face!) and weighs 4 pounds 8 ounces and a bit. The twins are doing very well, and Wilbur is laying in such a way that it is extremely unlikely he will move, so a vaginal birth is almost guaranteed (unless there is an unrelated emergency of course). I asked when they'd not stop contractions/labour anymore if it started, and the consultant said they wouldn't stop it at this stage, especially with twins, as once they are over 4 pounds they have a very good chance outside the body, and if labour starts, the body usually has a reason for wanting the baby out.

How are all you pegnant ladies?

I had a consultant's appointment yesterday. He was very surprised when I told him I walked to the hospital and planned to walk back home, about 40 mins each way icon_smile.gif He said it's a good sign, ladies who stay physically active tend to have an easier labour and recovery, but at the same time, I should consider getting lifts from now on. Twin study ultrasound today, and babies weighing 5.2 (Wilbur, still head down but not engaged) and 5.7 pounds (Robyn, breech) today, so well on the way. Still hoping to make it to 8th February (no idea why, it is just "my" date for them). Due to their very good weight, it is very possible that they'll come a little early though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Myself and my wife are expecting our first baby 4 weeks next Sunday. We're thrilled to bits although life is difficult for her at the moment. i do keep telling her to look at the glass as being half full rather than the reverse. i have a friend who hasn't found it smooth running at all.

It's an exciting time in someones life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Myself and my wife are expecting our first baby 4 weeks next Sunday. We're thrilled to bits although life is difficult for her at the moment. i do keep telling her to look at the glass as being half full rather than the reverse. i have a friend who hasn't found it smooth running at all.

It's an exciting time in someones life.
    Easy for you to say, you never carried a baby :). Try asking her if there is anything you can do to make it easier for her (that will pay off big time in brownie points after).

It's not easy for the last month, your big and awkward (feel like a whale) and very uncomfortable. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT and you'll make it so much easier :D:D:D

Best of luck to you both, it really is an exciting time - don't forget to let us all know......

• Advertisement

Try asking her if there is anything you can do to make it easier for her

I certainly do but I'm trying to keep the positives to the fore.
    It's not easy for the last month

I can see that very clearly, she's finding it hard just getting around the house at the minute.
    Best of luck to you both, it really is an exciting time - don't forget to let us all know

Thanks;) , certainly will.

By the way has anyone here experienced veins in "the" area and have any relief, I'd love to find some way of helping her get pain relief from the pain this is causing her at the moment.

By the way has anyone here experienced veins in "the" area and have any relief, I'd love to find some way of helping her get pain relief from the pain this is causing her at the moment.

Can't say I have experienced that, but maybe the chemist could recommend something, did experience fierce pressure pains at that stage alright and nothing can be done about that.

A good book to focus on positives is 'The Secret' for every aspect of life, it might help her through the last month too.:cool:

You sound like a very supportive 'dad to be':D:D:D keep up the good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I don't get what you mean here. I am going to go out on a limb and ask if you're talking about haemmorhoids (piles)? They can be common in pregnancy or post-delivery and very painful. If she has piles at the moment, sitting in a shallow bath of the hottest water she can get into without scalding can help. There are also treatments available like Preparation H or Hemoclin - always check first if they are suitable for use during pregnancy pr breastfeeding.

Tinofapples- your wife and I are due on the same day, 24th February! Though I am having twins and so probably will go early.

If you mean she has varicose veins in her vagina, I hear carying a bottle of cold water and "douching" with that, especially when peeing, can help.

but maybe the chemist could recommend something

Has done. Witch Hazel was recommended but hasn't had any helped.
    talking about haemmorhoids

Yeah she has them but the Doc has also said she has varicose veins down there as well.

silja , what do mean by "douching" ? To be honest I can't see us going full term but everyone keeps saying that it's more common for first timers to go beyond the due date.

It is more common as most people can't pin point when thier last period was and even going by the frist day of the last period ovultion and conception can be 2/3 weeks after that date.

I would not reccamend douching to anyone, I think it is an awful practice.

tinofapples has she tried squeezing a sponge full of warm water over her gentitals when sitting to try use the toilet ? It can relax and gently stimulate to make things a little easier.

It does sound like she is having a rough time of and should try stay of her feet as much as possible.

http://www.ilmaternal.org/SafeMotherhood/InfoDouching1.htm
    What is douching?

Douching is rinsing or cleaning out the vagina by squirting water or other water based solutions (such as vinegar, baking soda, or commercial douching solutions) into the vagina. The water or solutions are held in a container and are squirted through tubing and a nozzle. Commercial douching solutions are found over-the-counter at pharmacies and grocery stores.

Why do women douche?

Women douche to: rinse away blood after a menstrual period, to reduce odor and to clean the vagina after sexual activity. Sometimes women douche with the false expectation that doing so will help her to avoid sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and/or to wash away semen to prevent pregnancy.

In some cases, a doctor may instruct a woman to douche with a medicinal solution to fight chronic yeast infections or bacterial infections. Currently, almost 15% of adolescent girls and young women in the United States douche. Certain ethnic groups have much higher rates of douching than others. Studies have shown that African American women douche at approximately twice the rate of White women.

Is douching safe?

Douching is no longer recommended to clean the vagina. Because routine douching changes the delicate chemical balance in the vagina, it can make a woman more susceptible to bacterial infections and introduce new bacteria into the vagina and cervix. It also can spread existing vaginal infections to the uterus and fallopian tubes. Research shows that women who douche on a regular basis actually develop an increased amount of vaginal irritations and infections, including bacterial vaginosis (BV), and STDs. These women also have a 73% increased risk of developing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID is a chronic infectious disease affecting the cervix, uterus, ovaries, and the fallopian tubes that can cause severe pelvic pain and can lead to infertility. Sexually transmitted bacteria traveling into the uterus usually causes PID. Both BV and PID may lead to serious problems during pregnancy, such as infection, problems with labor, and early delivery.

Health professionals agree that there is a need for further research to find out if douching directly causes BV and PID and why adolescent girls and young women douche.

What effects will douching have on pregnancy?

Douching after sex does not prevent pregnancy. Sperm have the ability to reach the uterus and travel through the fallopian tubes before a woman can begin douching. Some research has shown, however, that douching may affect fertility. In women trying to conceive, those who douched the most frequently (more than once per week) had the lowest pregnancy rate. Other research has shown a link between frequent douching and having low birth-weight babies. Studies also show that douching greatly increases the chance of ectopic pregnancy, which can be a life-threatening condition. Ectopic pregnancy is when the fertilized egg attaches inside of the fallopian tube instead of in the uterus.

What is the healthiest and safest way to clean the vagina?

Because the chemical balance of the vagina is very sensitive, it is best to let the vagina clean itself. The vagina takes care of cleaning itself naturally through secretions of mucous. Warm water and gentle, unscented soap during the bath or shower is the best way to clean the outside areas of the vagina (vulva). Products like feminine hygiene soaps, powders and sprays are not necessary, and may be harmful. If a woman notices a vaginal odor, it is important that she consult her health care provider because it may be a vaginal infection.

It is important to consult your health care provider if you experience any of the following symptoms: vaginal pain, itching, burning, or a foul odor; pain when urinating; a vaginal discharge that is different from normal, such as thick and white like cottage cheese or yellowish-green. You may have a yeast infection, urinary tract infection, or bacterial infection that can be treated with medication. Do not clean the vagina or douche prior to a doctor’s exam since it will wash away the vaginal discharge, which identifies the type of infection.

* The Q & A's above source: National Women's Health Information Center, Office of Women's Health, and US Department of Health & Human Services.

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    If you mean she has varicose veins in her vagina, I hear carying a bottle of cold water and "douching" with that, especially when peeing, can help.

tinofapples,

Douching is basically squirting water or fluid into the vagina. It is not a good idea - it upsets the balance of natural chemical balance of the vagina, and sometimes it can spread a localised infection further. Women who douche on a regular basis are more prone to problems like bacterial vaginosis, urinary tract infections and pelvic inflammatory disease. Douching, whether pregnant or not, is not recommended. I would advise your wife to consult her GP regarding the varicose veins she has - do not take on to begin douching.

http://www.pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=1237 - Article on douching.

Just on you thinking your wife may go into labour early - the only certainty when it comes to labour is that there'll be a baby at the end of it. Everything else after that is a variable. My first labour happened at 12 days overdue, and it wasn't a "natural" labour - I was induced. My aunt had her first baby 11 days early - that ended in a c-section.

Thanks folks will pass on what has been said.

Sorry, I used the wrong word- didn't mean squirting anything in the vagina (definitely not when you're pregnant!), just pouring the water over the area to cool and refresh it.

silja wrote: »
    Sorry, I used the wrong word- didn't mean squirting anything in the vagina (definitely not when you're pregnant!), just pouring the water over the area to cool and refresh it.

Thats grand silja, I had a feeling you didn't mean actual douching - I just think its important to advise people that douching isn't recommended as a general rule, pregnant or not - you know yourself, you see a word, you google.... can of worms opened!

I know exactly what you mean about pouring the cool water over the area. After women give birth, a lot of them have stitches. A good idea to keep the stitches as clean as possible (and to prevent stinging when urinating) is to have a sports bottle of cold water and bring it into the loo with you. You can then squeeze the bottle and angle the jet of water to alleviate stinging and to soothe sore stitches. It is the single best tip I was given!

After I was stitched I was advised to put a couple of drops of lavander on the pads I was using - very soothing.

• Advertisement

Quick update on me (and I'd love to hear some updates from the other pregnant ladies on here!): The twins are now 6 pounds 1 ounce and 5 pounds 14 ounces, and both head down! Yay! I am hoping they'll stay in for another week or so, but then I think I'll be ready to hold them in my arms- I know my husband is very, vry ready to hold them in his arms :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

silja, do you have an induction date set?

At my last growth scan at 34weeks, babies were 3lbs14oz and 4lb9oz.
    The smaller baby has had sporadic doppler measurements (blood flow resistance though the umbilical cord) so I've been in and out of the hospital for closer monitoring.

Looks like it could be a close call as to which one of us delivers first :D
    Mine is definitely going to be a c-section now. Even though the lead baby is head first, the higher risk baby is the second one and they want to minimize the stress that it gets put under.

My consultant prefers twins to go naturally rather than induce or do c-section (unless medically neccessary of course), so no :) He says once I am past 38 weeks we may need to look at doing something to get things moving, but he hopes labour will start naturally before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ag1975

Hi

Just looking for general feedback and advice really. I've been off the pill for 4 months and finally think that i have the timing right. (like other posters whenever its the right time of the month i start getting nervous and thinking that maybe the time isn't right for me but anyway I was using a digital ovulation kit and got a smilry face yesterday so decided to go for it!! then I checked an ovulation calender an lo and behold it said yesterday (thursday)was my most fertile day! we also had an "early night" the night before (wednesday) so of course I know that its no guarantee but i'm hoping....

so if anyone else wants to share.....:)
    Also I'm on health manager starter, (i'm in ireland) its €45 a month and I def don't want to be paying anymore than that. Is this a good plan for me to be on for maternity benefits, About how much in total does it cost to go private in a public hospital? That is how much would we be paying after the health insurance company pay their bit? thanks everybody.

I am not sure about Health Manager Starter but you should be able to ring your insurnace company and they can send you out info about what exactly is and isn;t covered regarding maternity. How much private care costs very much depends on where you live- in the Dublin hospitals, 3500-4000 euro is the norm for a private consultant (down the country it an be 2000 or even less), and you get very little if anything from the insurance, but you can claim back the tax on it at the end of the year (so 20 or 40%, depending on whcih tax bracket you are in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

Hey! Im due April 15th.. so excited!!! Im nearly 30weeks. Ive gained a stone since before I was pregnant.. is this a helthy weight? or should it be more or less?

Also, im attending the regional maternity hospital in limerick, anyone got any advice/experience to share from this place?? My mum was there but the last time was eight years ago so id love some recent updates of the place?

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hey! Im due April 15th.. so excited!!! Im nearly 30weeks. Ive gained a stone since before I was pregnant.. is this a helthy weight? or should it be more or less?

It all depends on the individual so only your doctor can tell you.
    My mrs (due 2nd Mar) didn't put on any weight at all for a long time, although on the ultrasound they could see that the baby was spot on in terms of growth. They were not concerned as she was eating normally, she just lost a few pounds that she'd been trying to get rid of for ages :) later on her appetite did increase. Everyone is different and mums with more than one child often say that every pregnancy is different. Mention it to your doc next time and he/she can reassure you.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mikey08

*deleted*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Hi I'm not pregnant myself, but the girlfriend is and I'm really ecstatic. She is 6 weeks pregnant and we did 2 home PTs and were positive so yesterday we went to the Family Planning clinic in the Square Tallaght as we didnt know where else would be opened. They confirmed once again something for 18Euro which we already knew however didnt give a whole lot of advice on what to do next.

I was wondering now that we know my gf is pregnant, where do we go now. Do we go to a normal doctor or something? My girlfriend is convinced she needs to go to a gynaecologist or something. However where do we go for the scans and so on and the midwife thing, we dont have any info on what to do.

Do you know of anywhere on where to get information in town or something?

Thanks

Mikey, I think your girlfriend is not thinking straight because first of all at this stage it sounds like it is too late into the pregnancy to abort. Also she is prob just nervous, every girl wants to look like a princess on her wedding day. I'm sure she didnt mean she wants to abort but it wouldnt be possible anyway. Is there a chance that you could postpone the wedding until September. Perhaps she need to do some research on a maternity wedding dress, am sure theyre out there. All the best anyway.

P.S. It is not you who is being selfish mikey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭TheQueen

Congratulations. Your girlfriend needs to get a letter from her gp confirming pregnancy and then contact one of the three maternity hospitals, the coombe, holles street or rotunda. The hospital will then organise booking visit, scans etc. Gp will explain in detail. Would advise you to do this as soon as possible as the maternity hops are so busy! Should get first hosp appointment around 12-14 weeks.
    Congratulations again

Hi Queen,
    Thanks very much, will do that. However we need to think of an excuse to get time off work for my gf, as she has just started a new job and is afraid that if she tells her boss she is expecting then she may lose her job. I know a girl before when she was pregnant and no company would hire her as they didnt want to pay maternity leave.

trevorku,

Congratulations to you both.

The first thing you need to do is to visit your GP to get the pregnancy confirmed. Your GP will then sign you onto the Mother and Infant Care scheme, which allows for free GP and hospital visits in Ireland once you use the public system.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/women-s-health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services

The following link has tons of useful information also when it comes to services available to all expectant parents in the Republic of Ireland :

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/before-your-baby-is-born

edit :folks, if you managed to read mikey08's post, please don't reply to it (it has since been deleted). He has been sitebanned and I don't think that the subject matter he brought up is appropriate on a thread frequented mostly by expectant parents.

Wow thanks a mil for that info, hope we are entitled to get on the scheme, I was dreading the thought of all them 60Eur doctors bills. Thankkkkkkkkks

We have booked a doctors appointment on Thursday to go to Medicus in Phibsboro as its the only good Polish doctors place that we know of. Being that my gf is Polish she wants to be able to say everything she can to the doc.

So we have a checklist thanks to the people in this nice forum :)

1. Get a note from the doctor confirming the pregnancy.

2. Ask the doctor if we qualify for the Maternity and Infant Care Scheme which entitles free doc and hospital appointments.

3. Bloodtest and consultation to organise scans and so on...

I hope I'm not overlooking anything, am anxious. Hopefully we can see a scan soon, even at 6 weeks, a small figure would be amazing to see on the screen. Oh look at me getting all fatherly.

I'll let you all know how it goes after thursday and thanks to everyone for the help.

- Trevor

At 6 weeks tis nto going to more then a blob tbh.

http://www.birth.com.au/Info.asp?class=6634&page=8#

But congratualtions.

It will still be my baby, I wouldn't really use the term blob,lol. Even a spec on the screen would be worthwhile.

I meant it will only look like a blob :)

yeah I knew that *hugs*

• Advertisement

To be honest, if you are going for the free medical care, ie public in the hospital and maybe the combined care scheme where you get free GP visits, you will not have a scan until at last 12 weeks- in most hospitals, you get only one or two scans through the pregnancy if you go for the free care, at either 12 and/or 18-22 weeks. If you are anxious to see your baby, you could pay for a private scan at a place like Mount Carmel or the Charlemont Clinic, it'll cost about 120 euro. But even then I'd recommend waiting till at least 7 weeks, that way you are very likely to see a heartbeat, which is very re-assuring. Here is my ultrasound pic from 7 weeks 2 days:
    Twinstogether7.2.jpg

Scans are not necessary at every appointment, but I would agree that in an ideal world, you would have an earlier scan than 12 weeks.

You will more than likely get two scans during your pregnancy when you go public - one around 12 weeks and the "big" scan around 20 weeks (also called anomaly scan).

There is debate at the moment about the effects of ultrasonic scans on fetal development, and there are genuine concerns that too many scans may be responsible for brain damage or at the very least place a baby at risk.

I know that if I were pregnant again, I don't think I'd have any more than the two scans given at 12 and 20 weeks. There is no need for them and I would worry a little about unproven technology.

Scans are not necessary at every appointment, but I would agree that in an ideal world, you would have an earlier scan than 12 weeks.

You will more than likely get two scans during your pregnancy when you go public - one around 12 weeks and the "big" scan around 20 weeks (also called anomaly scan).

There is debate at the moment about the effects of ultrasonic scans on fetal development, and there are genuine concerns that too many scans may be responsible for brain damage or at the very least place a baby at risk.

I know that if I were pregnant again, I don't think I'd have any more than the two scans given at 12 and 20 weeks. There is no need for them and I would worry a little about unproven technology.

We're due on the 24th and during our last 2 visits to the hospital I would have loved a scan but it didn't happen. My wife mentioned that they don't like having the scan done unnecessarily. So far we've had two scans , the first the baby was jumping around like a lunatic, the second the baby was still and very obvious.

We're counting the days now.

Quick update on me:
    I'm full term now for twins, which is 37 weeks (today I am 37 weeks 2 days). The babies are still both head down, and Wilbur (twin A) is fully engaged. While this is not a guarantee of imminent labour, it is a good sign. The ultrasound showed that there is still plenty of fluid around both babies,. and the placentas are intact and working well, but due to running out of space it is difficult to measure the size/ weight of the twins (they were also wriggling a lot, which didn't help!). So their approximate weights are 6.3 pounds for Wilbur and 6.8 for Robyn, but that could be off a bit up or down- they are pretty sure both are over 6 pounds though, which are great weights.

Dr Robson hopes they'll show up naturally within the week, but if not, I have an appointment with him this time next week to discuss what to do next; he would recommend getting the twins out by 38 weeks 4 days due to gestational age and weight, though if I feel strongly, he'd let me go later- I told him I'll do whatever is best for the babies. He'll do an internal exam next week to see if I am dilated/ effaced and if I am several centimeters, he suggests induction; if nothing is moving down there, he would recommend c-section as even with induction, I am likely to end up with a c-section if I haven't started by myself. So, one way or the other, it looks like we'll hold the twins in our arms by Valentine's Day!

Silja, hi there can I ask in your scan photo of 7 weeks 2 days, did you have twins because there are 2 objects. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

After a horrid time at the hospital, I gave birth to a 6lbs 5 oz 19 5/8 inches baby boy 24, Jan. Little Cornelius Kealan M. Oh and he is such a doll. I went to the hospital for a scheduled c-section and they wanted me to come back in two days... but ended up doing it anyways b/c I was low on fluid... too low :S. but healthy and happy! Was only in for 3 days, I didn't mind I couldn't move and was in pain as long as I got out of there! Now I have my hands full with a 12 day old and 14 month old!! But love every minute of it :)!
    luck to the rest of you soon to be mommies/daddies.

• Advertisement

trevorku wrote: »
    Silja, hi there can I ask in your scan photo of 7 weeks 2 days, did you have twins because there are 2 objects. Thanks.

Yup, I am having fraternal twins (ie they come from two eggs).

NeoB- sorry you had a horrid time in the hospital. Odd that they scheduled you and then told you to come back later! I am glad mom and baby are home happy and healthy though, congrats on the little man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alkel

Hi everyone

Just discovered pregnancy and went to GP to have it confirmed. Looks like I am 6 weeks gone but doctor found blood in my urine and started talking about miscarriage/ectopic pregnancy.

I have had slight abdominal discomfort in the last couple of weeks along with indigestion, bit of nausea etc

From what I have read, bleeding at this stage is relatively normal. Please can someone clarify? I am terrified.

Try not to worry, stress isn't good for you
    What will be, will be in this situation
    I wish you the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi Alkel

If your GP suspected an ectopic, then I would imagine he would have sent you for a scan immediately. If you have anymore stomach pains I would go to a Maternity Hospital if I were you.

I had an ectopic pregnancy myself.

A confirmed, or even suspected ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency, and would require immediate treatment. If an ectopic pregnancy is confirmed, then surgical removal of the ectopic pregnancy, and/or removal of the affected Fallopian tube (in severe cases) is the only satisfactory way to deal with it. The pregnancy of course would be lost with this outcome, but the alternative is rupture of the fallopian tube, massive internal haemmorhage and possible maternal death.

If your GP suspected ectopic pregnancy, he would have referred you to the Early Pregnancy Unit at your nearest maternity hospital as a matter of extreme urgency. An ectopic pregnancy would often times be accompanied by shoulder pain, and brown or "old" blood (as opposed to a miscarriage, which would be bright red). Bleeding in early pregnancy can come from a myriad of reasons - miscarriage, implantation, breakthrough bleeding...

You said the blood was in your urine though - does your GP know if the blood came from your urethra or your vagina? Blood in the urine could very well be nothing more sinister than a urinary tract infection. You really need to go back to your GP, or perhaps see a different GP for a second opinion - any bleeding from the vagina in pregnancy should be investigated in greater detail.

Also - if you are in early pregnancy and you retain your symptoms, ie indigestion, nausea etc., I would take their continuation as a positive sign. These symptoms of pregnancy are caused by hormones - in miscarriage, hormone levels start to drop and many women report disappearance of previously noticeable symptoms.

I would say this though - any vaginal bleeding that is bright red, moderate to heavy in amounts and "clotty" in appearance and is perhaps accompanied by crampy, period-type pains or shoulder pain warrants immediate further investigation in hospital. You can just walk into the hospital without a referral - they won't turn you away.

Try not to worry - I know its impossible not to but try not to think the worst until you've had a scan and proper examination at hospital.

Good luck - I will be thinking of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement