Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

Has anybody had an external cephalic version done? If so was it successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I know this is an old blog post but I've just come across it now and I think it's a brilliant story :D This is definitely the kind of childbirth experience I would like to have :)

https://theclotheslineie.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/the-time-when-i-had-an-unplanned-homebirth/

Here are the main bits:
    So the weekend passed. On Monday evening, the kids went to bed, I bounced on the stupid ball, The husband was watching the stupid snooker final on the tv. I looked down at my stomach and noticed it was tightening and then stopping again. This kept happening but there was zero pain so I didn’t think any thing of it. I went to bed. The tightening kept happening but still no pain. I got a feeling that maybe something might happen so I got up again. I spent a couple of hours wandering the house, watching crap middle of the night tv, napping and waiting. Still no pain. By 5am the baby hadn’t been moving a lot so I decided I would wait an hour and go into hospital and get checked out. I decided 6am was a reasonable time to wake my mother in law and we could go to hospital before rush hour started. Woke the husband and we pottered about making lunches and I laid out the three piles of school clothes. The boy came downstairs at 6.15am and we chatted. I phoned mother in law, no answer. Still no sign of labour. I considered maybe my “feeling” was off and that we should go no where. Then the following happened:

6.25am- went into the bathroom, hit by a pain, followed forty seconds later by another one.

6.27am- pain after pain after pain after pain. I barricaded myself into downstairs bathroom.

6.30am- husband knocked on door and asked should he ring an ambulance. I believe my exact words where “don’t be so ****ing ridiculous“

6.32am- walked into hall, looked out at car, realised there was no way I was going anywhere and kindly requested husband ring an ambulance.

Over the following ten minutes. I stayed in the bathroom alone. I remember shouting for some paracetamol at one stage, because you know paracetamol would have sorted the full-blown non stop contractions, right out.For once I was somewhat organised with regards packing my hospital bag. So organised I had gotten the husband to put them in the car. The paracetamol was packed in the hospital bag in the car, no wonder the husband couldn’t find them but sure it gave him something do to. I could hear my mother in law arriving and the children moving around and getting ready and then leaving. When they left, I stood and looked at myself in the mirror and decided I would have the baby now. Just like that, like I done this everyday. I don’t think I felt an overwhelming need to push more an overwhelming need for the pain to stop.I was very calm and felt very in control and had zero fear. This was the first labour I went through where I did not hit the “Sweet Jesus. Make It Stop. I CANNOT DO IT” stage. I called the husband and asked him to get more towels. He did. He then went back to doing whatever he was doing. I got down on the ground and pushed, once. I felt the baby’s head,so, called the husband back. Then we had the most surreal conversation

“I need you to get down on the floor with me“

“Ok“

“I am going to push now and the baby is going to come and you need to catch her“

“Ok” he replied. I will be forever grateful for his complete calmness too.

It was very quiet. I pushed. The baby arrived. The husband caught her. It was blissfully simple. She was just there, wide eyes staring around, covered in mess, spiky hair and looking to , our untrained eyes, as she should. We wrapped her up in towels. I sat down on the floor, she started to cry, we probably did too.

Total time from first pain to her arrival about 18 minutes. Whilst her birth at home was unplanned it was ideal. No bright lights, no negotiation or politics, no unfamiliar faces or hospital rooms.She arrived at 6.44am into a completely quiet peaceful house with her parents pretending they knew what they were doing. It could not have been more perfect.

The ambulance arrived ten minutes later, for all our sakes, I am glad they did not arrive before hand.They said at least 14 times “Glad you didn’t give birth in the back of the ambulance” . They didn’t exactly blue light it here and there were no sirens. To be fair , when the husband rang 999, I assume the dispatcher asked how long I had been having pains and he probably was sniggering with his hand over the phone when the husband replied five minutes. The paramedic asked the husbands permission for me to cut the cord ( seriously). I sent the husband to get me knickers upstairs, he came back with a thong, seriously again. Coincidentally the same thong I naively wore into hospital to have my first daughter 8 years earlier. I kept them as they are lucky knickers but not to actually wear them again and certainly not to wear them after just giving birth. The big huge knickers were safely packed in the hospital bag, in the car, obviously, to teach me some lesson for trying to pretend to be an organised person. I think I possibly waved the ginormous maternity pad at him and the thong and asked him how they would possibly work. I digress. The paramedics arrival ruined the calmness clearly. They asked was the baby a boy or a girl. A girl we both said. Then the husband looked at me, neither of us had thought to check was she actually a girl, we couldn’t take our eyes off her face. Familiar but new and so ridiculously beautiful and perfect.

We went to hospital, we got checked over, we came home shortly afterwards.

We lost a lot of towels and gained another perfect child and a sensational amazing memory. It was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

The husband and the thong cracked me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Ladies,
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby. While I am utterly thrilled, I'm terrified. I thought I'd feel more relaxed this time round, but in a way I think ignorance was bliss last time! So far, this pregnancy has also been very different. I'm really sick, much more than last time. I know each pregnancy is different but I'm afraid because things went really smoothly last time, so I feel like it's going to be really difficult this time round. Sorry for rambling but has anyone else felt this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Nead21 wrote: »
    Ladies,
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby. While I am utterly thrilled, I'm terrified. I thought I'd feel more relaxed this time round, but in a way I think ignorance was bliss last time! So far, this pregnancy has also been very different. I'm really sick, much more than last time. I know each pregnancy is different but I'm afraid because things went really smoothly last time, so I feel like it's going to be really difficult this time round. Sorry for rambling but has anyone else felt this way?

I hear you! I'm 10 weeks and think I'm even more nervous this time around. So far seems like a very different pregnancy too. Not as sick thankfully but definitely more tired. This might be because I have a 13 month old to add to the craziness this time :D Every time the nausea eases off I'm worried. After a healthy, relatively straightforward pregnancy last time I thought I'd be far less anxious this time.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

fall wrote: »
    The husband and the thong cracked me up.

I asked my partner to buy me big knickers in dunnes because I found out post partum in hospital the ones I had sat right on my section scar.

He came back with mens boxers, helpfully thinking they would be looser and therefore more comfortable. After a 5 second think about how to get a maternity pad to stay put in those, I sent him back out again.

Bless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Nead21 wrote: »
    Ladies,

I could have written your post, I was so sick & achey at the begining of this pregnancy compared to the last one & sooo tired to the point where I was wondering what the hell I was thinking getting pregnant again!! Everytime I thought about how I'd manage 2 small kids I could feel panic rising!
    I'm almost 23 weeks now & have hit the nice part of pregnancy, I'm back to feeling like myself & thinking straight. I'm still not sure how I'll manage 2 small kids but I know I will.
    Long story short ( for me anyway ) as time went on the better I felt, even feel excited now at the thoughts of cuddling my new baby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Neyite wrote: »
    I asked my partner to buy me big knickers in dunnes because I found out post partum in hospital the ones I had sat right on my section scar.

He came back with mens boxers, helpfully thinking they would be looser and therefore more comfortable. After a 5 second think about how to get a maternity pad to stay put in those, I sent him back out again.

Bless!

Men's brains definitely work in a different way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Hey everyone (particularly angeldelight), what's the story with the flu vaccine, and the logistics of getting it really? My gp is closed all weekend now and I forgot to ask when I spoke to them today. Do you just make an appointment to get it or do they give it out to everyone on a particular day of the week? My friend just happened to be in her gp surgery one day when they were, is that how it works?

Or can you get it in a pharmacy, I know Boots offer it, but do you have to pay for it there? If I could get it in a pharmacy tomorrow that would be ideal, given how poor my immune system is at the moment I am bracing myself for a bad day or two after getting it, and the weekend would suit best to mope and feel ill. Sorry if these are thick questions :o

• Advertisement

Just make an appointment with the GP - apparently even if you're doing combined care you should have to pay to get it as it's not included. Some GPs may not charge though.

Boots definitely do it but it's quite dear - a lot of independent pharmacists are also trained to do it and charge less than Boots eg one beside me does it for 20, Boots afaik is 30/35. My GP charged me 30

Thanks, dammit, I shouldve gotten it today, I'll never get an appt on Monday for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I got my flu vaccine in boots it was €25 I think or free if you had medical card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Will Boots do it if you are pregnant though? I know when I was getting mine done in work and they found out I was pregnant they referred me onto my GP to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

I got mine done in Boots Grafton St, late October or early November. I told them I was pregnant, they didn't have an issue at all. There is a form to fill in, it's on line and I guess if you had an issue other than pregnancy they might refer to GP.

It was either 20 or 25 euro. I think 20. I think the price is cheaper for those in the at risk category.

I have found Boots to be ridiculously over cautious when it comes to pregnant women. I had a lot of trouble trying to buy a bottle of Corsodyl in there last month, you'd swear I was looking for heroin or something :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

The whooping cough & flu vaccines should they not be free at your gp? I got mine for free in October

Dammit I forgot all about this again, I meant to do it yesterday as that "suited" if I was to get a bit sick in the last day or two, I'm off work and my husband is around so I could've coped. Work tomorrow for the rest of the week though and I'm very busy Saturday so that's no good.

I would've thought it would be free, but I'm happy to pay to not be sick again! After ending up in hospital last night and getting well looked after for free paying €20-30 for the flu jab doesn't seem too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BelindaL

Flu vaccine should be free for pregnant ladies. Got mine for free from gp in October anyway. Did anyone get whopping cough vaccine? No one has mentioned it to me yet but due in 4 weeks so must ask midwife today.

It's technically only free for people with medical card or GP visit card but some GPs will administer free for pregnant women signed up for combined care. They don't have to though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

There's a place at the top of Grafton St (if you're in Dublin) called TMB, they do it for €25. Definitely have no problem doing it if you're pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Just an idle curiosity really but I see a lot of posters seem to be going to private ultrasound centres to get very early scans (around 7 weeks). I'm wondering if there is really much merit in them, as to me an early scan just confirms that everything is okay at that moment only. I've known people to get scans at 7 weeks, announce the pregnancy and sadly miscarry at 8 or 9 weeks :( Or pay for an early scan, realise it's still miles too early and wait the 12 weeks anyway. I'm not thinking of going again any time soon(!) but to me waiting for the 12 week hospital scan makes the most sense, obviously things can still go wrong after that but it's a lot less likely. I guess I feel that these early 'reassurance' scans offer a bit of false security for big money, but they seem so commonplace! Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Dolbert wrote: »
    Just an idle curiosity really but I see a lot of posters seem to be going to private ultrasound centres to get very early scans (around 7 weeks). I'm wondering if there is really much merit in them, as to me an early scan just confirms that everything is okay at that moment only. I've known people to get scans at 7 weeks, announce the pregnancy and sadly miscarry at 8 or 9 weeks :( Or pay for an early scan, realise it's still miles too early and wait the 12 weeks anyway. I'm not thinking of going again any time soon(!) but to me waiting for the 12 week hospital scan makes the most sense, obviously things can still go wrong after that but it's a lot less likely. I guess I feel that these early 'reassurance' scans offer a bit of false security for big money, but they seem so commonplace! Thoughts?

We got one at 9.5 weeks with heartbeat etc the miscarriage rate drops at that stage. I had been watching/testing so I knew I was pregnant very early and couldn't hack waiting another 3weeks for the hospital scan! It was nice reassurance ;)

For me the 8 week scan I had proved that a. It wasn't an ectopic pregnancy and b. That it was a viable proper pregnancy at the time of scanning. The ectopic thing wasn't going to change, and while I knew its heart could stop at any time before the 12 week scan for me personally I needed the knowledge/reassurance that for now I had to get my head around a viable pregnancy, particularly as I'm self employed so had to know what plans I could and couldn't make. I couldn't wait another 6 weeks for the scheduled "12" week scan at 14 weeks in the public system. We didn't announce afte the early scan, well we didn't tell family/friends until 15+ weeks and many still don't know, so for us it was for our own peace of mind, not to tell others early.

A friend of mine got her 12 week appt for when she was almost 17 weeks, that's a long time to be waiting to see if it's viable and all looking good so far. So she had a private one at 9-10 weeks, a much more useful timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yeah I suppose different hospitals will have different time frames for scans, in that case I probably would get one myself. Just wondering more than anything as I seemed to be the only one in my group not getting one!

Depends too on how far along you are when you find out. I got a positive test when I was a few hours late, so by 8 weeks we had already known for a month. A few friends and relatives have been 8-13 weeks when they found out, much easier to wait just a few days for a scan.

I'm incredibly impatient so for me getting an early scan was nice reassurance. I'm not sure I would have paid for an additional one because I was already going private and was offered a scan at my booking in appointment when I was 7 weeks

I went for the private scan at 8 weeks too, my hospital 12 week scan wasn't til 14 weeks and as I'm a ftm and knew almost straight away I was pregnant I went more for reassurance and I'm so glad I did. I know you still have risk of miscarriage after but in my mind the way I felt was that if the heart had stopped I would have rathered known at 8 weeks then wait till 14.
    The lady doing the scan was amazing. However I have a friend who had an early scan where the baby was ok and then at her 12 week scan found out the baby had no heartbeat :( i feel the first 12 weeks are so worrying in a way that I loved my early scan x
    When did you all buy your buggy and car seat?

sorry double post

I just bought ours today at 25 weeks, didn't want to buy it too early but at the same time want to have all the big things got before I get too huge and uncomfortable!

Took a marks and spencer chicken salad with rice out for lunch today and one of my colleagues said to me that should be avoided during pregnancy. Never occurred to me. Is she right? I knew deli stuff could be dodgy but I thought I'd be safe enough with that. Usually just follow the NHS guidelines as I find they are not too hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Roesy wrote: »
    Took a marks and spencer chicken salad with rice out for lunch today and one of my colleagues said to me that should be avoided during pregnancy. Never occurred to me. Is she right? I knew deli stuff could be dodgy but I thought I'd be safe enough with that. Usually just follow the NHS guidelines as I find they are not too hysterical.

Did she say what exactly was wrong with it or needed to be avoided? I think some people can be hyper about avoiding foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hse says to avoid things like prepackaged sambos, deli meats etc. tbh, I didn't avoid deli meats etc. only avoided salads if they had raw egg in the dressing or other foods that were contraindicated. I think the reason they say avoid is because you can't really be sure how long it's been sitting there or could have possibly left out and the possible resulting listeria bacteria.

As I said... I would've eaten a packed salad so long as it didn't contain the raw egg etc

Blingy wrote: »
    Did she say what exactly was wrong with it or needed to be avoided? I think some people can be hyper about avoiding foods.

The dreaded listeria.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hse says to avoid things like prepackaged sambos, deli meats etc. tbh, I didn't avoid deli meats etc. only avoided salads if they had raw egg in the dressing or other foods that were contraindicated. I think the reason they say avoid is because you can't really be sure how long it's been sitting there or could have possibly left out and the possible resulting listeria bacteria.

As I said... I would've eaten a packed salad so long as it didn't contain the raw egg etc

This would have been my thinking too. Her comment got me wondering was I being too blasé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

This would have been my thinking too. Her comment got me wondering was I being too blasé.

Sounds way over the top to me. I would eat the salad!

Dolbert wrote: »

Mine was done at 7+4 as a fertility check to count embryos and make sure they'd not implanted in the tubes. A follow up one was done at 9+4 because the smaller twin was measuring smaller and they wanted to check growth. Second twin measured 7+1 at the first scan and 8 weeks on the second one. No trace of it at the 11 week one, so I'd have never known there was a vanishing twin only for the scans. Apparently its quite common.

I think that some people feel that somehow the risk goes down by the first scan, so think that if they have the first scan earlier, it reduces the risk. But I think its moreso that the first scan usually was at 12 weeks, so by that stage the risks decrease a lot anyway.

Some women get them though because there is no 12 week scan offered to them on the public system.

I think the deli meats refer to the types of counters that are for sandwich bars with food out all day long. Pre-packaged salads and sandwiches from a reputable shop would be fine I'd say.

The risk is for food poisoning. Which is pretty unusual (and not counting the 'food poisoning' people get from a kebab after a heap of drink or from an actual bug) and usually self inflicted due to people not storing raw and cooked food correctly, using utensils on raw meats then the same for a salad.

And it depends on the person. Someone berated me for having a single can of coke when they ate unpasteurised cheeses throughout their pregnancies. Honestly, some people are so pass-remarkable!

Na you're defo not being too blasé :). I'd eat it :). And I'd eat it pretty fast if I were pregnant and hungry :)

I wouldn't be going looking for raw meat or mouldy cheese but I have been a bit naughty at times during pregnancy. My reckoning is that I've never gotten food poisoning before so I'm not likely to get it now (within reason). A little bit of what you fancy won't hurt :) I think the guidelines are only there to make women more aware of the kind of things to avoid and watch out for but some people really do go OTT. I was berated by a male childless colleague during my last pregnancy for drinking one small cup of coffee every evening :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My sister and I were pregnant at the same time; me in Spain and her in Ireland. My list of foods to avoid contained 3 things: cured meats, unpasteurised dairy products and undercooked eggs. That was it. All other things on the Irish list were advised in moderation here.

I think you just have to be sensible about it. Some people like to follow the rules exactly (my sister wouldn't even eat homemade quiche that was well cooked).

• Advertisement

The New Zealand What Not to Eat list is amazing, basically just eat bread and meat that you just cooked to cremated this very second.

I know someone who wouldn't "risk" garlic during her last pregnancy??? I never heard of garlic on a list of what not to eat. I ate it all the time when I was pregnant. :confused:

Garlic?

Vampire baby? Was she a big twilight fan? :p

Garlic, I kid you not! Mental.

Just wondering if any of you were measuring bigger at your hospital appointments? My fundal measurement puts me 2 weeks nearly 3 ahead :/ I know my dates are not out by this much. If you were did the development level out or had you to be scanned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Just wondering if any of you were measuring bigger at your hospital appointments? My fundal measurement puts me 2 weeks nearly 3 ahead :/ I know my dates are not out by this much. If you were did the development level out or had you to be scanned?
    Fundal measurement can be way out. I was measuring 2 /3 weeks behind with my youngest consultant kept saying baby is too small.

Had a development scan all was measuring fine. Saw the consultant the following week same story too small.

She was born 3 days later at 8 lb 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My fundal measurements were also 2-3 weeks ahead and they'd told me to prepare for a BIG baby. He came on his due date at 8lb4oz. There was a lot of amniotic fluid which made my bump a lot bigger but bubs was a nice healthy size when I was preparing for him to weigh a lot heavier. There really is an element of guess work involved so don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Ladies I am looking for some advice. Since the start of my pregnancy I have been getting nose bleeds. I am 10 weeks and they have increased in frequency to the point that I am getting at least one every other day. I have read online that it is a fairly normal pregnancy symptom especially if you are prone to allergies or sinus infections but every other days seems a lot does it not?

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Ladies I am looking for some advice. Since the start of my pregnancy I have been getting nose bleeds. I am 10 weeks and they have increased in frequency to the point that I am getting at least one every other day. I have read online that it is a fairly normal pregnancy symptom especially if you are prone to allergies or sinus infections but every other days seems a lot does it not?

Hi ms tootsie, epistaxis or nosebleeds are a common symptom of pregnancy unfortunately. However, nose bleeds can also be a sign of high blood pressure. So if you feel they are happening a lot and increasing in frequency I would ringg your hospital and consult a midwife or doctor. You may need to go in and have your blood pressure checked just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Thanks for this Sligo1 I never thought of that actually. I was getting them before the pregnancy (though no where near as frequent) and they put it down to allergies which is why I automatically assumed it was the same thing now. Thanks!!

Just opened a delivery of stuff I ordered online for the baby... Wow! The newborn hat and scratch mittens are so small! Can't wait to show my husband when he gets home haha he's going to freak out

• Advertisement
Advertisement