Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yeah 38 weeks is the standard time to start maternity leave, in my workplace it's against policy to let you work longer than that. I'd have a contingency plan in place however, in my case I had an sudden spike in blood pressure last week at 36 weeks and was signed off for the remainder. I was able to sort out some things via email and text from home but there was still a bit left unfinished as I wasn't expecting to go right there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had a very last minute about the new job and turned it down. The more I thought of it the less sense it made. In my current role I can work 2 days a week and earn more than I would working 5 days a week in the new job. So I could have baby in a crèche 60 hours a week or be home with him/her 5 days a week. Also would have been a high pressure trainee role which would have been challenging enough if it was my sole focus which of course it won't be!

Reason I'm thinking about maternity leave now is I'm more of a contractor than an employee - don't get paid holiday pay or sick pay and work on my feet so trying to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Yeah Im the same,being self employed I dont get sick pay or maternity pay so just state maternity and I work on my feet and it can be a bit physical sometimes, luckily it works out best to finish up so early so I dont have to worry about jeopardising work if I had to stop abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mommababe

Hi ladies, one pf ypu moght be able to help me, I was diagnosed last week woth gestational diabetes and im 29 weeks. Not impressed as i feel unwell since i started the diet and felt perfectly fine before! Anyhow the hospital never told me how to get more strips for testing? Do they supply them? Or do we have to buy them? Money tight with xmas coming etc so what kind if cost am i looking at? Do u need a prescription to get them? Any info greatly welcommed as i havent a clue! Thanks

Went out for dinner with friends last night, I somehow managed to have an absolute brain fart and completely forget that pregnancy means there are a list of don't/maybe food guidelines. Well, I think I ate pretty much most of that list! I had a runny egg, paté, shellfish (cooked perfectly though), medium steak, raw egg, alcohol, peanuts..! I literally only remembered as we were on our way home, I'm impressed and horrified at the same time lol. Really I don't think any of them would do any harm, one runny egg in 5 months, one serving of paté in the same time (hardly enough to overdo iron levels), and I don't think eating peanuts/shellfish give babies allergies, but it's just amazing how I completely blanked on it. Great night though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Peanuts aren't to be avoided and the shellfish thing is in case it's undercooked and gives you food poisoning. Same for the eggs and medium steak. Alcohol obviously for the baby but if it's cooked into something then it's ok. Liver pate should be avoided or eaten in small portions.

Pure liver should be avoided altogether though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Sounds like it was a great night spottybananas!!

Anyone been to the endo or diabetes clinic in Holles St. Have an appointment on Friday and just wondering about waiting times etc. haven't told work yet so wondering if I'll be waiting hours or not!!!

January wrote: »
    Peanuts aren't to be avoided and the shellfish thing is in case it's undercooked and gives you food poisoning. Same for the eggs and medium steak. Alcohol obviously for the baby but if it's cooked into something then it's ok. Liver pate should be avoided or eaten in small portions.

Pure liver should be avoided altogether though.

I know peanuts and shellfish aren't to be avoided, I am aware that it and the other foods mentioned are risks because of food poisoning, I thought that was obvious when I said the shellfish was well cooked. But I don't think the chances of food poisoning are very high eating these things once in 5 months, so I'm not concerned, if I ate them every day there'd be more of risk... But I have one particular friend who is adamant they are not allowed in case the baby gets an allergy to it, so I can't wait to see her face when I tell her I ate both in one night. I also know pure liver should be avoided, I didn't say I ate that, again one serving of paté (more butter than liver tbh) is not going to shove my levels of iron that high.

I'm not concerned, I was just sharing what I thought was a funny-ish story. Never mind.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The list of no-foods for pregnant women varies massively from country to country.

I think as long as you are reasonably sensible, avoid unpasteurised stuff, have good kitchen safety habits it should be fine. :) I was gagging for all the forbidden stuff during my pregnancy, and sometimes ate a little of what I wasnt supposed to eat.

There is research now indicating that exposure to common allergen foods like nuts, dairy, eggs etc. in the womb actually decrease the chances of the baby developing those allergies in later life. Tell your mate that too Spotty! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I kept forgetting about the runny egg/rare steak/shellfish thing. Mmmmmmm, delicious forbidden food

• Advertisement

I've already told hubby I want a medium rare steak and a runny fried egg within a day of coming home from hospital or else!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm most looking forward to soft poached eggs, every type of cheese I can get my hands on and a glass of red wine.

I've been super careful all through my pregnancy not to eat certain things and I haven't been able to stomach full sized meals for a few weeks now, so I am really looking forward to dropping my guard and pigging out.

Neyite wrote: »
    The list of no-foods for pregnant women varies massively from country to country.

I think as long as you are reasonably sensible, avoid unpasteurised stuff, have good kitchen safety habits it should be fine. :) I was gagging for all the forbidden stuff during my pregnancy, and sometimes ate a little of what I wasnt supposed to eat.

There is research now indicating that exposure to common allergen foods like nuts, dairy, eggs etc. in the womb actually decrease the chances of the baby developing those allergies in later life. Tell your mate that too Spotty! :D

Yep, I'm sensible :) I read up on things and make informed decisions, unlike my friend who is one of those with a little bit of knowledge and it's a dangerous thing. Honestly, I said I had a Snickers and herself and her fiance literally did this :eek: They have latched onto this notion that if you eat peanuts and shellfish your child WILL have an allergy to them. I wouldn't even be concerned if it was true about the shellfish one, a relative has a shellfish allergy and all they do is....not eat them. It's much easier to live with than a nut allergy, it's just like a preference rather than a danger.

*dives into prawn satay* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've never heard of the peanut thing but speaking to my mam she said it used to be common advice. I went by the handout my doc gave me on my first appointment. Unfortunately a lot of my fave things were on it like the cheese and undercooked eggs. I've had people have issues with me being vegetarian "you're a mother now you need to put your babies needs first" despite my blood tests coming back perfect. It seems to be another of those things people seem to feel they are entitled to an opinion on as soon as you get pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

I've eaten two Snickers bars in the last 24 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not quite snickers but I've developed a mad craving for Mars bars the last week or so. Of all chocolate bars I've always disliked them?! It's frigging wierd!

I'm gone off my normally beloved chocolate and can't get enough of salt and vinegar things, something I never eat normally because they are so disgusting. I love apples now too, never really an apple fan.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My mother was fed practically nothing but liver when hospitalised on one pregnancy nearly 40 years ago. Because they thought liver was good for anemia.

I had a hamper of smelly cheeses, booze, pate, and all the other stuff that was verboten waiting for me when I came home from the hospital. And the first thing that I ate was a runny fried egg double decker sammich. Heaven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My husband sent the inlaws on a raid to the English market and they brought me in the most delicious picnic of blue cheese, pate and other delights that I had been avoiding the day after she was born. Glad I wasn't sharing a room :D For breakfast the morning after I came home I had the nicest, runniest eggs Benedict ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Think my palate must have been praticing for pregnancy all my life, I couldn't eat a runny egg, soft cheese, half cooked steak or liver if I was paid. I am a bit of a nut for a nut though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

Has anybody had an external cephalic version done? If so was it successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I know this is an old blog post but I've just come across it now and I think it's a brilliant story :D This is definitely the kind of childbirth experience I would like to have :)

https://theclotheslineie.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/the-time-when-i-had-an-unplanned-homebirth/

Here are the main bits:
    So the weekend passed. On Monday evening, the kids went to bed, I bounced on the stupid ball, The husband was watching the stupid snooker final on the tv. I looked down at my stomach and noticed it was tightening and then stopping again. This kept happening but there was zero pain so I didn’t think any thing of it. I went to bed. The tightening kept happening but still no pain. I got a feeling that maybe something might happen so I got up again. I spent a couple of hours wandering the house, watching crap middle of the night tv, napping and waiting. Still no pain. By 5am the baby hadn’t been moving a lot so I decided I would wait an hour and go into hospital and get checked out. I decided 6am was a reasonable time to wake my mother in law and we could go to hospital before rush hour started. Woke the husband and we pottered about making lunches and I laid out the three piles of school clothes. The boy came downstairs at 6.15am and we chatted. I phoned mother in law, no answer. Still no sign of labour. I considered maybe my “feeling” was off and that we should go no where. Then the following happened:

6.25am- went into the bathroom, hit by a pain, followed forty seconds later by another one.

6.27am- pain after pain after pain after pain. I barricaded myself into downstairs bathroom.

6.30am- husband knocked on door and asked should he ring an ambulance. I believe my exact words where “don’t be so ****ing ridiculous“

6.32am- walked into hall, looked out at car, realised there was no way I was going anywhere and kindly requested husband ring an ambulance.

Over the following ten minutes. I stayed in the bathroom alone. I remember shouting for some paracetamol at one stage, because you know paracetamol would have sorted the full-blown non stop contractions, right out.For once I was somewhat organised with regards packing my hospital bag. So organised I had gotten the husband to put them in the car. The paracetamol was packed in the hospital bag in the car, no wonder the husband couldn’t find them but sure it gave him something do to. I could hear my mother in law arriving and the children moving around and getting ready and then leaving. When they left, I stood and looked at myself in the mirror and decided I would have the baby now. Just like that, like I done this everyday. I don’t think I felt an overwhelming need to push more an overwhelming need for the pain to stop.I was very calm and felt very in control and had zero fear. This was the first labour I went through where I did not hit the “Sweet Jesus. Make It Stop. I CANNOT DO IT” stage. I called the husband and asked him to get more towels. He did. He then went back to doing whatever he was doing. I got down on the ground and pushed, once. I felt the baby’s head,so, called the husband back. Then we had the most surreal conversation

“I need you to get down on the floor with me“

“Ok“

“I am going to push now and the baby is going to come and you need to catch her“

“Ok” he replied. I will be forever grateful for his complete calmness too.

It was very quiet. I pushed. The baby arrived. The husband caught her. It was blissfully simple. She was just there, wide eyes staring around, covered in mess, spiky hair and looking to , our untrained eyes, as she should. We wrapped her up in towels. I sat down on the floor, she started to cry, we probably did too.

Total time from first pain to her arrival about 18 minutes. Whilst her birth at home was unplanned it was ideal. No bright lights, no negotiation or politics, no unfamiliar faces or hospital rooms.She arrived at 6.44am into a completely quiet peaceful house with her parents pretending they knew what they were doing. It could not have been more perfect.

The ambulance arrived ten minutes later, for all our sakes, I am glad they did not arrive before hand.They said at least 14 times “Glad you didn’t give birth in the back of the ambulance” . They didn’t exactly blue light it here and there were no sirens. To be fair , when the husband rang 999, I assume the dispatcher asked how long I had been having pains and he probably was sniggering with his hand over the phone when the husband replied five minutes. The paramedic asked the husbands permission for me to cut the cord ( seriously). I sent the husband to get me knickers upstairs, he came back with a thong, seriously again. Coincidentally the same thong I naively wore into hospital to have my first daughter 8 years earlier. I kept them as they are lucky knickers but not to actually wear them again and certainly not to wear them after just giving birth. The big huge knickers were safely packed in the hospital bag, in the car, obviously, to teach me some lesson for trying to pretend to be an organised person. I think I possibly waved the ginormous maternity pad at him and the thong and asked him how they would possibly work. I digress. The paramedics arrival ruined the calmness clearly. They asked was the baby a boy or a girl. A girl we both said. Then the husband looked at me, neither of us had thought to check was she actually a girl, we couldn’t take our eyes off her face. Familiar but new and so ridiculously beautiful and perfect.

We went to hospital, we got checked over, we came home shortly afterwards.

We lost a lot of towels and gained another perfect child and a sensational amazing memory. It was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

The husband and the thong cracked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Ladies,
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby. While I am utterly thrilled, I'm terrified. I thought I'd feel more relaxed this time round, but in a way I think ignorance was bliss last time! So far, this pregnancy has also been very different. I'm really sick, much more than last time. I know each pregnancy is different but I'm afraid because things went really smoothly last time, so I feel like it's going to be really difficult this time round. Sorry for rambling but has anyone else felt this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Nead21 wrote: »
    Ladies,
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby. While I am utterly thrilled, I'm terrified. I thought I'd feel more relaxed this time round, but in a way I think ignorance was bliss last time! So far, this pregnancy has also been very different. I'm really sick, much more than last time. I know each pregnancy is different but I'm afraid because things went really smoothly last time, so I feel like it's going to be really difficult this time round. Sorry for rambling but has anyone else felt this way?

I hear you! I'm 10 weeks and think I'm even more nervous this time around. So far seems like a very different pregnancy too. Not as sick thankfully but definitely more tired. This might be because I have a 13 month old to add to the craziness this time :D Every time the nausea eases off I'm worried. After a healthy, relatively straightforward pregnancy last time I thought I'd be far less anxious this time.

fall wrote: »
    The husband and the thong cracked me up.

I asked my partner to buy me big knickers in dunnes because I found out post partum in hospital the ones I had sat right on my section scar.

He came back with mens boxers, helpfully thinking they would be looser and therefore more comfortable. After a 5 second think about how to get a maternity pad to stay put in those, I sent him back out again.

Bless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Nead21 wrote: »
    Ladies,

I could have written your post, I was so sick & achey at the begining of this pregnancy compared to the last one & sooo tired to the point where I was wondering what the hell I was thinking getting pregnant again!! Everytime I thought about how I'd manage 2 small kids I could feel panic rising!
    I'm almost 23 weeks now & have hit the nice part of pregnancy, I'm back to feeling like myself & thinking straight. I'm still not sure how I'll manage 2 small kids but I know I will.
    Long story short ( for me anyway ) as time went on the better I felt, even feel excited now at the thoughts of cuddling my new baby :)

Neyite wrote: »
    I asked my partner to buy me big knickers in dunnes because I found out post partum in hospital the ones I had sat right on my section scar.

He came back with mens boxers, helpfully thinking they would be looser and therefore more comfortable. After a 5 second think about how to get a maternity pad to stay put in those, I sent him back out again.

Bless!

Men's brains definitely work in a different way!

Hey everyone (particularly angeldelight), what's the story with the flu vaccine, and the logistics of getting it really? My gp is closed all weekend now and I forgot to ask when I spoke to them today. Do you just make an appointment to get it or do they give it out to everyone on a particular day of the week? My friend just happened to be in her gp surgery one day when they were, is that how it works?

Or can you get it in a pharmacy, I know Boots offer it, but do you have to pay for it there? If I could get it in a pharmacy tomorrow that would be ideal, given how poor my immune system is at the moment I am bracing myself for a bad day or two after getting it, and the weekend would suit best to mope and feel ill. Sorry if these are thick questions :o

• Advertisement

Just make an appointment with the GP - apparently even if you're doing combined care you should have to pay to get it as it's not included. Some GPs may not charge though.

Boots definitely do it but it's quite dear - a lot of independent pharmacists are also trained to do it and charge less than Boots eg one beside me does it for 20, Boots afaik is 30/35. My GP charged me 30

Advertisement