Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experiences of the adult evening learning courses in Dublin..

• 05-11-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I have read the sticky above on learning Irish but id like peoples views on any differences in the courses if possible..

I'm looking to learn some Gaeilge again, my last experience was the leaving cert and that was well over a decade ago. I know there are books and online stuff but id prefer a class - I look at a screen all day anyway.

Iv Googled a few places with Gael linn, Gaelchultur and Conradh na Gaeilge seemingly the big ones but they have differences e.g. one is for 6 weeks but you go twice a week and one is 10 weeks going only once a week, with Conradh na Gaeilge to be honest I had trouble understanding the process from their website.

Anyone tried any of them - i'm presuming fluency wont be the end result if they so short? Are they intensive or in any way fun?!

Go raibh maith agat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 planter

I attended the Gaelchultur course (lower intermediate). It was fun, really enjoyed myself. It was a good balance of teaching & group activities. It was once a week for 10 weeks and to be honest I found that enough, twice a week would have been too much for me. They give you worksheets but they also have a separate book you can buy and the class -generally- followed the books plan. You don't need to buy the workbook at all but I found it complimentary as I could practice what I had learnt during the week and prep for the class so that I could focus more on practicing what I had learnt with people as opposed to it all being new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 planter

I attended the Gaelchultur course (lower intermediate). It was fun, really enjoyed myself. It was a good balance of teaching & group activities. It was once a week for 10 weeks and to be honest I found that enough, twice a week would have been too much for me. They give you worksheets but they also have a separate book you can buy and the class -generally- followed the books plan. You don't need to buy the workbook at all but I found it complimentary as I could practice what I had learnt during the week and prep for the class so that I could focus more on practicing what I had learnt with people as opposed to it all being new.

p.s. I have just checked their website and the course for Feb is €180, get in early if you do because it goes up to €200 nearer the time

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Thanks Planter - one session a week sounds enough alright to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I went to Conradh for about 4 years every wednesday about 10 years ago, and found it great fun, teachers were a bit of craic and you could go to the club afterwards and practice what you learned

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭deirdremf

bgo1 wrote: »
    Iv Googled a few places with Gael linn, Gaelchultur and Conradh na Gaeilge seemingly the big ones but they have differences e.g. one is for 6 weeks but you go twice a week and one is 10 weeks going only once a week, with Conradh na Gaeilge to be honest I had trouble understanding the process from their website.....
    Go raibh maith agat.
    If you go twice a week, you will learn more than twice as fast. The more frequent the classes, the greater the cumulative effect of learning, and the less you will forget from one class to another; the shorter the period between classes the more you will get out of it.
    Always assuming that the courses are equally good in other respects, of course!

• Advertisement
Advertisement