Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 2600 Meetings Have Moved Location

Options
  • 22-02-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi all,

The Dublin 2600 hackers group has moved our meeting location.

For years now we've been meeting at the pay phones outside Tower records on Wicklow St. None of that information is truthful any more since both the phones and Tower are gone.

We've moved to a new set of phones but still meeting at 19:00 on the first Friday of every month.

Details here and some background info

Hope this generates some new faces at our March meeting.

We'll tell you all about how we hacked the GSOC.

I'M JOKING!!!! I'M JOKING!!!! I'M JOKING!!!! I'M JOKING!!!! For the love of all that is holy, I'M JOKING!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Ive never made it to any meetings.. ever.. but ive always read 2600 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Assuming I've been paid, I will make a concerted effort to go. Its been years since I went to a 2600 meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

More than welcome to show up folks.

My pay day is this Friday! :D

0rt: Yeah I have the life time subscription to the mag. The quality of the articles isn't what it used to be but I tend to enjoy the magazine for the community aspect in the past number of years. Also the addition of fictional stories has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,thanks...i heard about 2600 since the old "good days" of Astalavista !

How is the meeting gonna be,completely speaking free like ?
    I don't drink but i guess i can sit and listen to other of you ?
    tia

Hi,thanks...i heard about 2600 since the old "good days" of Astalavista !

How is the meeting gonna be,completely speaking free like ?
    I don't drink but i guess i can sit and listen to other of you ?
    tia

The first couple of time you go its like people you don't know talking tech stuff in a pub.

After you've been to a few its like people you do know talking tech stuff in a pub.

Edit: Its not limited to tech stuff of course, but thats the general theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Hanging around a payphone must be one of the highest forms of “prostitution style acts” anywhere, short of a public toilet. Something that taints the objectives of an otherwise high minded cause against “e-“corruption etc.

Why not meet in a hotel? My initial thought was the Four Seasons. However it occurred to me that this hotel is now in British ownership, so one might assume that everything there (wifi / CCTV etc) goes through GCHQ/NSA etc/ The QoS in that establishment has certainly moved in a disappointing direction over the past few years ago, in my experience.

What about Bewleys D4, which is next door? I have noticed that Bewleys at Dublin airport uses a British ISP, so I can’t say for certain how clean Bewleys is as a company from a net perspective. But one can always leave one’s mobile phone/wifi offline during such a meeting…

Impetus wrote: »
    Hanging around a payphone must be one of the highest forms of “prostitution style acts” anywhere, short of a public toilet. Something that taints the objectives of an otherwise high minded cause against “e-“corruption etc.

Why not meet in a hotel? My initial thought was the Four Seasons. However it occurred to me that this hotel is now in British ownership, so one might assume that everything there (wifi / CCTV etc) goes through GCHQ/NSA etc/ The QoS in that establishment has certainly moved in a disappointing direction over the past few years ago, in my experience.

What about Bewleys D4, which is next door? I have noticed that Bewleys at Dublin airport uses a British ISP, so I can’t say for certain how clean Bewleys is as a company from a net perspective. But one can always leave one’s mobile phone/wifi offline during such a meeting…

2600 used to meet at the payphones outside Tower records, which was the only place in the country where one could buy a copy of 2600 magazine. It also served as a reminder of where the name for the organization came from. I actually like the idea of meeting at one arbitrary location and then moving on elsewhere. It means the location of the meet is decided by the people who show up. If you don't want to meet at the payphones, go to the next meeting and suggest a new place to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Always wanted to go to 2600 meeting but i live in the sticks of Kildare , and Dublin is just too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

I might be able to go this Friday night, but it is a big might due to family matters that are best not discussed now.

I'm not much of a hacker but I do work in information security and tech stuff is my main area of interest so if I do come along then I would hope that people dont start ignoring me or sniggering just because I'm crap at programming and still learning about lots of other stuff like networking and databases. I would just like to be around like-minded people for once in my dull non-eventful life:)

I'm not much of a hacker but I do work in information security and tech stuff is my main area of interest so if I do come along then I would hope that people dont start ignoring me or sniggering just because I'm crap at programming and still learning about lots of other stuff like networking and databases. I would just like to be around like-minded people for once in my dull non-eventful life:)

Anyone who acted like that at a Dublin 2600 would be told to GTFO very quickly. 2600 has always been very inclusive to people of all levels. Thats a core philosophy of the movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

syklops wrote: »
    Anyone who acted like that at a Dublin 2600 would be told to GTFO very quickly. 2600 has always been very inclusive to people of all levels. Thats a core philosophy of the movement.

Cheers. Thats always good to know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

2600 meeting again tonight in new location. See you at the phone box at the tourism office at 7pm

zg3409 wrote: »
    2600 meeting again tonight in new location. See you at the phone box at the tourism office at 7pm

Damn, if Id known I would have gone, I was meeting people at 9 in town anyway. :(

So 4 weeks til the next one? I'll mark it in my calender.

It is the first friday of every month, not always 4 weeks in between

Meeting again tonight at 7pm as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Jaysus, where did that month go!!!?

Sadface.

Meeting again this Friday (7th) Not sure if I will make it but there is always a few people there.

There is also a new meeting in Westport, County Mayo (same time, different place!)

http://www.2600.com/meetings/mtg.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Whats the age group at these meetings?

We have had people of all ages from teenagers to retired. Normally it's a thirties crowd and we head to a nearby pub at 7:30 sharp. It's up to those who turn up to decide where to go.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Meeting again this Friday (7th) Not sure if I will make it but there is always a few people there.

There is also a new meeting in Westport, County Mayo (same time, different place!)

http://www.2600.com/meetings/mtg.html

Ive been promising myself I would go back to them ever since I got back from abroad. Its always on a night I have other commitments though. I promise I will soon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement