Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard drive problem

Options
  • 07-09-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Maxtor 320 GB external hard drive, and i took ot with me on a journey last week and when i tried to power it up on arrival, nothing happened. Now I am pretty certain that it wasnt banged or hit off anything during the trip and it was definitly working beforehand...

When I plug it in nothing happens. Normally the light comes on when plugged in and it powers up even if it is not plugged into a USB port. I tried differnt plugs, differnet adaptors, but still nothing...

Basically my question is, Is it fu(ked, or can anything be done to retrieve the data??
    I was going to open it, but i didnt want to break the 'void' seal before i got some advice...The plan was to open it and buy somthing along these lines
    http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/l/aaBlknUSB2Enc.htm
    to see if i could still get the info off it...

Any thoughts or suggestions...
    I'm always saying to people to back up stuff, pity i didnt practice what i preached...:o:o:(

CM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

on my maxtor the light only comes on After you plug in the usb, it looks dead to the world otherwise. Btw did you check the plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Changed the plugs, and USB cable, and the transformer... If the harddrive was damaged, surely it should still power up anyway?? right?

Advertisement